Home Precious Metals
Options

Are you That Metals Guy at holiday gatherings?

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 8, 2019 7:19PM in Precious Metals
You know, the one who mostly talks about metals, maybe even brings out some pieces for show and tell? If so, what's the response?

and has the reception changed much in the past couple of years?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    N
    o
    p
    e

I'm
    In
    Cog
    Ni
    To
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I'm usually "that prepper guy" at holiday gatherings, which usually leads to talking about metals. Mostly guns and gold/silver.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    They know I have metal, they don't care and have nothing to contribute to the conversation, not even passing interest. I gift some Christmas rounds about this time of year and they just look at them and say they are pretty or nice or something and throw it in the sock drawer. The guys in the family are RE Geeks and they all own apartment complexes and rent houses so it's hard to have a conversation with them about metal so I just listen to their stories and drink their wine. Life is good.

But, as soon as someone brings up guns, the conversation picks up considerably. This year we talked about bump fire and the cost of ammo but none of us are hunters so it's all CHL and going to the range. A new indoor range opened up here last month. The last country club I was in cost less than a membership to the new range. The executive membership for the range includes the use of a cigar room...the sport has come a long way from plinking cans by the creek with a .22.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have given ASE's on the birth of children in the family...but not otherwise, no coin collector relatives. I am more like Wes.... guns 'n stuff...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never. None of my relatives know I stack metals. If the subject comes up I am silent.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have given ASE's on the birth of children in the family...but not otherwise, no coin collector relatives. I am more like Wes.... guns 'n stuff...image Cheers, RickO >>

Same here. Enough relatives and friends already think I'm nuts without me telling them that I hoard silver and gold. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    This will be year one of me being the metals guy image A small gathering, will probably be my last year too...lol
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nope.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to remain private about all my investments, not just my PM's.

People are strange, best to keep most of them in the dark.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Kind of. Family knows I stack and deal in coins. I don't tend to bring it up, but if the conversation steers that way, I'll chime in with my thoughts.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    If asked, I say I collect vintage postcards. Not much of a secondary market there if anyone in the audience has bad intent.

Not a lie as I have a couple of them.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a listener at such gatherings.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I prefer to remain private about all my investments, not just my PM's.

People are strange, best to keep most of them in the dark. >>

+1
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I was fairly popular last Christmas when all the women in my life(3 daughters,1 wife,1 mother in law) each received a half ounce pamp with bezel and chain
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    If only those who say they are listeners at such events would carry that approach to here...if only.

BAHHHHHH Ha Ha LOL LOL..sorry I couldn't help myself
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>If only those who say they are listeners at such events would carry that approach to here...if only.

BAHHHHHH Ha Ha LOL LOL..sorry I couldn't help myself >>

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a listener at such gatherings. >>

That's what I am here. image
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I'm a listener at such gatherings. >>

As am I. IMO, when it comes to finances, wealth, and the like....a listener is the only kind of person to be.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>relatives and friends already think I'm nuts without me telling them that I hoard silver and gold. image >>

not a topic that has arisen in my family gatherings.
    it usually turns political and then i excuse myself.

my dad gets its.
    i have 2 nephews that i helped get into it over christmas. their dad is a day trader in it now too.

BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options

<< <i>If asked, I say I collect vintage postcards. Not much of a secondary market there if anyone in the audience has bad intent.

Not a lie as I have a couple of them. >>

Au contraire mon ami, I have a postcard collection that is worth enough to buy a new SUV! I bring some of it south with me for the winter, the rest goes in the bank. As much fun as my coins.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I avoid the questions by avoiding holiday gatherings.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If only those who say they are listeners at such events would carry that approach to here...if only. >>

Then you would never know how to navigate ebay. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    No! I prefer to keep business and personal time seperate. Heck, most people at the gatherings dont even know I trade/collect precious metals ...........image
    Condor
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, how about this year?
    Or, too embarrassed to admit it?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I typically talk about sexual orientation, politics and religion.
    How about you Baley, do you talk about coins at family gatherings?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 years later...I have more metal but find it less interesting to talk about.

• Options

I still think it's a bad idea to share your precious metals purchases with anyone other than your immediate family. Even then I warn them not to share this with their friends and neighbors. The more people that know you have precious metals the more likely you will be eventually targeted for theft.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall ....I totally agree....I do not discuss my metals interests with anyone other than my wife....Since I am a firearms instructor, many know of my firearms interests, but not of how many I have. I am a security professional though, so my security layers are in place and effective. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

"loose lips sink ships"

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

In looking through the replies here I thought is was rather interesting how many posters, whom originally answered this post, haven't been active in several years. A lot had hundreds of comments, some of them had thousands, so they weren't just fly by night types, but folks who had invested some time around here...now, seemingly, they're just gone. I hope they are well.

As far the topic at hand, I still prefer to be more of the silent type, but I should say that's pretty much my personality anyway.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    I typically talk about sexual orientation, politics and religion.
    How about you Baley, do you talk about coins at family gatherings?

That sounds like it could get interesting at your family gatherings ;)