Home Metal Detecting
Options

Why is finding a silver dime more enjoyable than finding 6 clad quarters?

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
They're worth about the same; but, digging up the silver is somehow much more fun.

Comments

• Options
    that's easy.........because it's silver!

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    silver gives you a story to tell... some dirty clad quarters don't!
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They're worth about the same >>

Today they are, but potentially worth more long-term. Also, the rarity of finding silver versus clad. I say this as someone who has yet to find any silver image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver is just more exciting... it is old, it is a PM.... not like modern coinage....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I never saw anyone do a Clad quarter dance.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a ye-ha several years ago when I found a pile of 13 at the end of a tetter-totter.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    You should have seen my son when he found 15 quarters in a 3 foot area. He did a jig that resembles a football player making a touchdown. It was in a park near a climbing tree and all were basically below the grass level! He was already spending them on yugioh cards! LOL! -Dan
  • Options
    I do a 'ring' dance when I find a ring.....looks like an Alley Oop combined with a Macarena.....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has to do with probability, too. Would you rather find an Ike dollar or a silver Roosie dime?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it has to do with probability, too. Would you rather find an Ike dollar or a silver Roosie dime? >>

Hmmmm that's an interesting one. Will prob pick the Ike as I've never found one before.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it has to do with probability, too. Would you rather find an Ike dollar or a silver Roosie dime? >>

Thats a toss-up. I'm very proud of the only Ike I've ever dug but its been 8 years.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think we all smile more when its silver image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only found one Ike dollar. When that big brown disk came out of the ground I couldn't figure out what is was at first. When I found my first silver dime I thought I was pulling out a new washer at first,
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Neither will make you rich, but in 20 years the dime will still be worth a cup of coffee. The clads will be left on the pavement as cents are today.
  • Options
    I have not seen a cup of coffee for a dime in fifty plus years..... and if you are talking about silver content, I do not know of anyplace that will trade it straight across.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have not seen a cup of coffee for a dime in fifty plus years..... and if you are talking about silver content, I do not know of anyplace that will trade it straight across.... Cheers, RickO >>

Fortunately my go to bricks and mortar has a McD's next door.