Home Precious Metals
Options

Have Chinese PM Coins been counterfeited yet?

I've read that US bullion has been counterfeited recently, maybe by
the Chinese. Just wondering if anyone is doing Chinese bullion also.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I have heard of fake 1/4 ounce gold Pandas and 1 oz. silver Pandas. I would be extremely surprised if there are not others.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Chinese law allows for fakes of all coins, Chinese included, released prior to 1950--the time Mao took over.

So theoretically fake bullion coins would not be allowed. But I've seen several fake Pandas. And I can bet where they come from.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    The US should make fake Chinese coins and ship them over there.
    COA
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    I saw a nicely done display box with embossed design and lettering with all of the different date 1/10 oz gold pandas. The coins weren't very well done with bumps and mushy design that you could see at arms length.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course there are counterfeit Chinese coins... if profit can be made, it will be done. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    I would guess the crime for such in China would be public execution. So I'm guessing no.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I purchased a 1908 Saint back in about 2001 from a guy from Florida. The coin was a PCGS
    MS64 and it was really funny looking. Looked like a gold foil chocolate coin.

Anyway I was able to return the trash to the seller and I'm so glad I did. Looking back I'm
    sure it was a counterfeit in a counterfeit slab. Too bad I didn't take a pic of the POS.

Those Chinese can be Devils but the biggest Devils are the Dogs that sell their crap
    on ebay.

Wonder how long it will be until those new 100's are done? From what I hear the old
    bills will be counterfeited forever. They're an easier hit than the new bills.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More pics of the gold pandas please. And can anyone translate the box?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would guess the crime for such in China would be public execution. So I'm guessing no. >>

Don't be so naïve. Most crimes carry the death penalty in China and they have plenty of crime there.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a lot of a dozen or so silver pandas 3 years ago and 2 of them were fake. The fake ones had no year marking and they were partially gilded . All of the pandas in the lot were sealed in capsules but the fakes weighed less than a troy ounce including the plastic .

I wish I had taken pics at the time.

Get some on alibaba.com here so called metal crafts