Home Precious Metals

aboutag.com slams Tulving

but apparently has the facts to back it up

Never ordered or sent product to them not being able to afford the minimums, or even if I could, I wouldn't risk that much being mailed just to shave off a few bucks.
If the Insurance limits/restrictions comment is true, Tulving must've had some significant claims. Then that begs the question, are they all legit claims?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gotten to the point where I trust Apmex for mail order. Not much else.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I have never had any issues with Provident.
    No more APMEX after the ATB number they pulled on customers.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    It's not the first time. There were major issues with Tulving 20+ years ago. See this article in the LA Times from 1991, "Tulving Coin Investments Files Chapter 7 : Liquidation: The dealership faces millions of dollars in claims from disgruntled customers and a lawsuit by the FTC." LINK. Undoubtedly a lot of people ended up holding the bag back then. I thought that situation was widely known among sophisticated PM investors -- it's certainly is information you could easily find online. I would rather cash-and-carry at a good local dealer or buy online from a longstanding company that hasn't had these types of major issues. "Penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind. Not worth saving one or two percent if you risk losing everything.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbscoins for me. Did a lot of buying from Tuliving over the years, never had a delay receiving the goods. Switched to dbs last year, great service and prices.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>gotten to the point where I trust Apmex for mail order. Not much else. >>

Likewise. Although their prices are slightly higher, but they do ship securely and package their products better than anyone I know. Shortest check hold for bullion purchases compared to other dealers that I know.

Provident is also on my list, but their packaging and shipping could use some tweaking. (Their free s&h promo enticed me to purchase several items over the last 30 days)
    Goldmart is ok, if the item is in stock and an immediate sellout is not anticipated.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    It's not the first time. There were major issues with Tulving 20+ years ago. See this article in the LA Times from 1991, "Tulving Coin Investments Files Chapter 7 : Liquidation: The dealership faces millions of dollars in claims from disgruntled customers and a lawsuit by the FTC." LINK. Undoubtedly a lot of people ended up holding the bag back then. I thought that situation was widely known among sophisticated PM investors -- it's certainly is information you could easily find online. I would rather cash-and-carry at a good local dealer or buy online from a longstanding company that hasn't had these types of major issues. "Penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind. Not worth saving one or two percent if you risk losing everything

Not everyone is as wise as the all knowing sr image Just kidding sr, please dont get bent out fo shape. There's always someone around that may have not heard of past or present practices of any company and I just felt posting this is one of the ways people could avoid being fleeced out of their cash. I wish people "in the know" would not take for granted that everyone is aware and do more of it.
    Just an FYI more than anything else. Dont see the need to critisize something like this being posted on a PM Forum.
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Probably a lot of people didn't know that history - hopefully customers won't end up getting burned a 2nd time.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
    hopefully customers won't end up getting burned a 2nd time

Agree on that, but in a sense they've already been screwed. That's alot of $ to be tied up in limbo. Takes alot of faith to lay out that much making an online purchase, or to send $200k worth of product to them and not be paid a dime for it 5 months later.
    I suppose those who are doing that can afford to lose, or at least tie up $200k though. I'll stick to being a guppy. image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Likewise. Although their prices are slightly higher, but they do ship securely and package their products better than anyone I know. Shortest check hold for bullion purchases compared to other dealers that I know.

Provident is also on my list, but their packaging and shipping could use some tweaking. (Their free s&h promo enticed me to purchase several items over the last 30 days)
    Goldmart is ok, if the item is in stock and an immediate sellout is not anticipated. >>

I've made numerous purchases from the three firms that you mentioned and have had good results from all three. I usually go with the firm with the best price. APMEX ships a little faster but their prices are higher. Unless you are a retailer looking to flip your silver I don't understand why quicker shipping is more important than getting the best price. The silver I buy is for long term hoarding. Of course, the best prices and the fastest shipping is from my friends on the BST here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is valuable information about Tulving. I bought from them from many times in the past without a problem, but this emphasizes an important point - if you are getting ready to place an important order, ask the Precious Metals Forum about members' recent experiences.

An operation that is getting by on the float or on margin will eventually run into problems, and shipping delays contrary to their advertised promises are a ***key indicator*** to watch for.

I've had some near misses, and if I even smell a whiff of shipping delays, I'll stay away. It's just not worth the risk.

I can recommend Silvertowne and Scotsmans coins, in addition to the other good sources already mentioned.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    if you laying down that kind of scratch for metal..you shouldn't have to sweat delivery

Loves me some shiny!

<< <i>An operation that is getting by on the float or on margin will eventually run into problems, and shipping delays contrary to their advertised promises are a ***key indicator*** to watch for. >>

Particularly in a declining market. The ones with the lowest prices become the riskiest in prolonged downturns.

<< <i>I have never had any issues with Provident.
    No more APMEX after the ATB number they pulled on customers. >>

What did APMEX do? I must have missed it.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What did APMEX do? I must have missed it. >>

Did they hoard the silver and then try to turn a profit by offering to sell it during a temporary buying panic, for more than they paid? Naughty, naughty! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did they hoard the silver and then try to turn a profit by offering to sell it during a temporary buying panic, for more than they paid? Naughty, naughty! image >>

APMEX acted like ...a Dealer!

The ATBs were ObamaCared at roll out...orders were thrown into turmoil as the Gov changed the rules as they went along.

It was profitable and fun if you were there image

Loves me some shiny!
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Likewise. Although their prices are slightly higher, but they do ship securely and package their products better than anyone I know. >>

Agree 100%image I bought a 2013 AGE from them. It took me a good while to separate it from box! I think they use liquid nails for glue.

I do not buy from them much. Have had great experience selling to them.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over at another PM forum there were a number of posts in October complaining about Tulving's slow delivery of product and delays in payment.

During November the complaints ended. Tulving appears to still be in business. Its all murky. I certainly won't take a chance with them.
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the claim about the insurance limits did have some legs behind it as they have a new insurance company / policy as of late October. I believe they were insured with Lloyd's of London for awhile. All the BBB cases are now closed.

Everyone of my past orders went through without a hitch, although I haven't ordered anything during the period in question.

I wonder what the real story is, as the math doesn't appear to add up.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time I dealt with Tulving, it was like dealing with the "soup Nazi" on Seinfeld. That was about 4 years ago, and after that I drifted away, but this is a more significant development.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmmm......counterparty risk?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did they hoard the silver and then try to turn a profit by offering to sell it during a temporary buying panic, for more than they paid? Naughty, naughty! image >>

Did they cherrypick the coins and fill orders with the dreck?
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>An operation that is getting by on the float or on margin will eventually run into problems, and shipping delays contrary to their advertised promises are a ***key indicator*** to watch for. >>

Particularly in a declining market. The ones with the lowest prices become the riskiest in prolonged downturns. >>

Perhaps they are selling metal they don't have and can't buy it at a price that will afford them a profit. Or the suppliers won't ship because they aren't getting paid.
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I guess in anything there is risk, like even in stock and bond purchases, depending upon who you buy from. We just come to expect that the percentages of getting stung in the purchase pretty slim.

But in PMs its something you have to stay sharp on with every single transaction. There isn't such a big system in place and easier for trouble to occur, and you're just left on your own. Let alone just being robbed of your money. I'm surprised there hasn't been more. I think there is a certain level of skimming off PM purchasers going on all the time, as they (lets face it) are easy picken's.

Sounds like Tulving earned their red flags.
    COA

<< <i>Hmmmmmm......counterparty risk? >>

Yepper. Even with physical there is some counterparty risk - the FED.

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did they cherrypick the coins and fill orders with the dreck? >>

Yes. They did cherry pick. They kept the highest grades for themselves and sold them later at a premium.
    They then selectively packaged lesser grade groups of them on a tier basis and sold them off.
    New customers got the drecks. Longer term customers got better grades.
    The problem with this was that they did it surreptitiously but their secret code marked on the outside of the shipping boxes was broken by members here.
    This would not have been a problem if they did it honestly and up front.
    Also, initially they tried to charge exorbitant prices upon release until the mint stepped in and made them back off on the release prices they were trying to gouge customers with.
    It was a really bad scene for the most part.
    I remember many forum members here saying they would never deal with APMEX ever again after this fiasco.
    If anyone else remembers more correctly please chime in.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I have had minor dealings with Tulving over the years and knew about their previous issues as long as 10 years ago on these forums. No problems or issues for me, but I am a small fish in the sea.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this thing keeps dropping there will be several big boys hurting.......ouch! image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did they cherrypick the coins and fill orders with the dreck? >>

Yes. They did cherry pick. They kept the highest grades for themselves and sold them later at a premium.
    They then selectively packaged lesser grade groups of them on a tier basis and sold them off.
    New customers got the drecks. Longer term customers got better grades.
    The problem with this was that they did it surreptitiously but their secret code marked on the outside of the shipping boxes was broken by members here.
    This would not have been a problem if they did it honestly and up front.
    Also, initially they tried to charge exorbitant prices upon release until the mint stepped in and made them back off on the release prices they were trying to gouge customers with.
    It was a really bad scene for the most part.
    I remember many forum members here saying they would never deal with APMEX ever again after this fiasco.
    If anyone else remembers more correctly please chime in. >>

Yup remember it well. Along with the coin forum's self righteous posse, that in the long run, accomplishing nothing.
    As a platinum customer of theirs, I received premier PCGS graded pucks. If I deal with a vendor for any length of time, yes, I expect preferential treatment over the "one time purchaser." "Money talks..bs walks."
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Apparently phones are going unanswered at Tulving.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    The Tulving company is out of business.

The Tulving Company is Out of Business

March 3, 2014 3:45PM
    As we predicted/requested on Friday, The Tulving Company has gone out of business, as of Monday morning. They are no longer answering their phones, and we have reliable information confirming that they have ceased operations.
    This page will be updated as more information comes in.

There is a lot of information on our old page about The Tulving Company.

We hope to update this page with information about what will happen next. At this point, our best guess is that The Tulving Company will file for bankruptcy. Unfortunately, we believe that there will be little in the way of available assets with which to compensate those whose orders were not fulfilled.

If You Have Unfulfilled Orders

If you have unfulfilled orders, I would recommend checking this page frequently for updates.
    If You Had an Order Fulfilled Recently

You may want to check this page occasionally to see if The Tulving Company files for bankruptcy, and if so, to verify that doing so would not affect you.
    (If you received product recently, you may expect a claw back letter)
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmmmmm......counterparty risk? >>

Yup. Just like Lehman, AIG, GM, Washington Mutual, Country Wide, Bear Stearns, Fannie & Freddie, Enron, Madoff, and another 500-1000 banks that have gone bust in the past 5 years.

Since the government can take almost anything of value away from you....we all have counterparty risk....and especially in shared risk with the national debt, FRN's, etc.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    When you're running a ponzi-like scheme business in an overall down trending precious metals market, things eventually catch up.
    I wonder if those who swear by only doing business with like businesses will have sense enough to realize this is a possible reality for those companies too, slight, but possible.
    Just another reason and reminder to stick to trusted and established BST'ers here. Big thanks to PCGS for allowing us to do what we do here, and for keeping the people that need to be kept in line as such...and an big kudos to the site owner of aboutag.com too...he knows who he is. image

<< <i>When you're running a ponzi-like scheme business in an overall down trending precious metals market, things eventually catch up.
    I wonder if those who swear by only doing business with like businesses will have sense enough to realize this is a possible reality for those companies too, slight, but possible.
    Just another reason and reminder to stick to trusted and established BST'ers here. Big thanks to PCGS for allowing us to do what we do here, and for keeping the people that need to be kept in line as such...and an big kudos to the site owner of aboutag.com too...he knows who he is. image >>

Unfortunately, the BST has had its own similar casualties. Business models should be established to weather the storm. And yes, a big thanks to PCGS, regardless of those who complain about the BST forum.

<< <i>

<< <i>When you're running a ponzi-like scheme business in an overall down trending precious metals market, things eventually catch up.
    Just another reason and reminder to stick to trusted and established BST'ers here. Big thanks to PCGS for allowing us to do what we do here, and for keeping the people that need to be kept in line as such...and an big kudos to the site owner of aboutag.com too...he knows who he is. image >>

Unfortunately, the BST has had its own similar casualties. Business models should be established to weather the storm. And yes, a big thanks to PCGS, regardless of those who complain about the BST forum. >>

And yes, a big thanks to PCGS, regardless of those who complain about the BST forum.

And to those who got their arse handed to them too for making false allegations. image

<< <i>And yes, a big thanks to PCGS, regardless of those who complain about the BST forum.

And to those who got their arse handed to them too for making false allegations. image >>

Please, be more specific. Maybe something with a pinch of drama.

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps AIG or General Motors can get in the PM business. That way buyers can be confident that they will never lose a Dime.
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    From Wikipedia:

"Fraud is a deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain (adjectival form fraudulent; to defraud is the verb).[1] As a legal construct, fraud is both a civil wrong (i.e., a fraud victim may sue the fraud perpetrator to avoid the fraud and/or recover monetary compensation) and a criminal wrong (i.e., a fraud perpetrator may be prosecuted and imprisoned by governmental authorities). Defrauding people or organizations of money or valuables is the usual purpose of fraud."

So, if you agree to a business transaction, and don't hold up your end, you are guilty of fraud.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Please, be more specific. Maybe something with a pinch of drama.

Just do it the way you normally would, talk about it with your troll buddies via private message.
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    did they delete pom thread about his sale/no sale?...
    too bad ... he might have met his match on bst thread, lol, the cac master (CACsetman)...

things have a funny way of turning...
    keceph `anah
    Anyone here have unfilled orders with Tulving?

<< <i>

<< <i>From Wikipedia:

"Fraud is a deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain (adjectival form fraudulent; to defraud is the verb).[1] As a legal construct, fraud is both a civil wrong (i.e., a fraud victim may sue the fraud perpetrator to avoid the fraud and/or recover monetary compensation) and a criminal wrong (i.e., a fraud perpetrator may be prosecuted and imprisoned by governmental authorities). Defrauding people or organizations of money or valuables is the usual purpose of fraud."

So, if you agree to a business transaction, and don't hold up your end, you are guilty of fraud.

>>

Only if you entered into the transaction knowing you were not going to 'hold up your end' of the deal. >>

More likely guilty of Breech of Contract, provided there is a contract. A court would determine validity of the contract and would most likely be looking for an unquestionable commitment by both parties.

• tlake22tlake22 Posts: 299 ✭✭
    about 3 weeks ago, I sent an email to them stating that I was going to cash in my 401k and wanted to buy 6 monster boxes of ASE's. Within 10 min Hannes emailed me back saying that he could fulfill my order. I asked him how long would it take to receive them if I wired the money to them. He responded "several weeks" . I responded that why so long, don't you have them in stock. He said yes they do. I responded, that I don't understand why it would take so long. I never heard from him again. What a scheister.

<< <i>about 3 weeks ago, I sent an email to them stating that I was going to cash in my 401k and wanted to buy 6 monster boxes of ASE's. Within 10 min Hannes emailed me back saying that he could fulfill my order. I asked him how long would it take to receive them if I wired the money to them. He responded "several weeks" . I responded that why so long, don't you have them in stock. He said yes they do. I responded, that I don't understand why it would take so long. I never heard from him again. What a scheister. >>

Were you serious about buying that much silver or were you just testing him?

• tlake22tlake22 Posts: 299 ✭✭
    I was just testing them. Funny how quick he was to take money for something that he claims to have in stock but can't ship it immediately after payment. A couple of minutes ago I shot him an email saying that I have a decent quanity of AGE's and tenth ouncers to sell. See if he responds.
  • pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 827 ✭✭✭
    After the run around I got from Tulving last April for a monster box of eagles shown as "In Stock" I vowed to myself to never due business with him again, nor would I ever refer anybody else to do so.
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more