Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Virgin mint frost

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a rather poor picture to try to further illustrate the concept of virgin mint frost on the devices. When you see this on a coin, the starting point for grading is so incredibly high

See the velvety micro frost on Miss Liberty? Just so darn incredible on a bust dollar!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    See what you mean on the second image. Must be spectacular in hand.

• Options
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    That is one incredible looking Bust Dollar!
  • Options
    Nothing you can do about a print on a coin, but it's pretty easy to wipe a print off a slab....just sayin image As for the coin. Wow.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice slider... image . image
    Please do not dignify my comment with a response. . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Terrific effect and killer thread title.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to appear to be grading this coin at all, which I have not seen and am not commenting on, I would like to raise the point of order that the starting point for grading a coin with wear on the high points and excellent luster on the low points is AU-50.

You cannot grade a coin by the nicest 90% of it, or by luster alone.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Not to appear to be grading this coin at all, which I have not seen and am not commenting on, I would like to raise the point of order that the starting point for grading a coin with wear on the high points and excellent luster on the low points is AU-50.

You cannot grade a coin by the nicest 90% of it, or by luster alone. >>

Cough cough. Not anymore. But nice derail.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, but the fingerprint ruins it for me.

The slab. The fingerprint on the slab image

Seriously, I get what you mean. The frosty blush peeking up from beneath the skin is awfully pretty.

And I wouldn't kick the $705,000.00 coin out of bed for eating crackers, neither.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the fields don't look half bad either! Really wish I'd made it to lot viewing so I could have seen it. You also succeeded in getting me to try to do a headstand on my desk so I could see the second photo. And although your phototaking is as poor as mine (no offense), these tilted angles give a better sense of the coin than the Heritage photos did.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pictures.

Time should be taken to appreciate the individuals who acted to preserve this piece of history over its two centuries of existence.

Although the last custodian of the coin was certainly huge in the hobby, each of his predecessors had an important role to bring us this dollar in its extraordinary condition to us today.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the fields don't look half bad either! Really wish I'd made it to lot viewing so I could have seen it. You also succeeded in getting me to try to do a headstand on my desk so I could see the second photo. And although your phototaking is as poor as mine (no offense), these tilted angles give a better sense of the coin than the Heritage photos did. >>

This. The Heritage shots suck.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I get excited when I hold a fine bust dollar. It's all gravy after that
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a Meiji period Japanese counterfeit. image
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Very attractive high grade dollar with a Col. Green / Newman pedigree to boot, nice!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see more fingerprints then frost image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the coin not the holder. Smoking coin very nice. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Great coin!

These photos suck image
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    I see plenty of frost. It is a pleasure to see this piece even with the photo quality. I have enjoyed all the Newman threads.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My reaction?

Lovely coin but thank god Laura or George does not use you as their photographer!

The coin looks very original indeed but hard to see the virgin mint frost with your pictures. Doesn't toning make it harder to "see" mint frost in a photograph anyway?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Anyone complaining about this coin just does not get it! The photos might not be what were used to here but I think they show the true look of the coin in hand verses the great photos that do not give you the actual look or feel of the coin.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone complaining about this coin just does not get it!

I don't think it should be a point of "not getting it" with regards to the coin, the pedigree or anything besides the thread title, really. I opened it and though I respect TDN and his accomplishments the first picture is pitifully out of focus and the next ones don't help to really show me what I expected from the thread title, hence, I don't get it. I will await three things.....................criticism for my honesty, an increase in my forum pariah stock and some better pictures to show what the title promises.

I'm sure it is a great coin with a great look but it's hard to fully grasp that from the pictures here.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you noticed that the Newman slabs have some kind of light grease/film on the slabs? All of mine have it, and this one sure looks the same!

Those pictures are terrible! image

Now the coin still looks great in spite of them!!! Very nice.
  • Options
    1) the photos are the best I can do with an i-phone
    2) I specifically chose to leave the first pic up because it shows the glow of the frost on the devices the best despite the obvious focus issue
    3) I was trying to show a concept, not itty bitty details on the coin. Perhaps since I can see it in hand it's easier for me to see it in the pics
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN, We are just giving you a hard time... The second sideways slab photo you posted best shows of the lustrous surfaces image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may have already said this elsewhere. Do you agree with the 65+? The luster looks amazing as mentioned already!
  • Options

<< <i>You may have already said this elsewhere. Do you agree with the 65+? The luster looks amazing as mentioned already! >>

I honestly could see the coin in a 66 holder ....but as they say, ownership adds a point. Absolutely agree with the grade. Yes, it has ticks and lines under a glass but I have never seen such luster and frost on an early dollar.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very difficult to assess from those pictures, but I will take TDN's opinion that it is far better than the photo's.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At lot viewing, I held this coin in hand for over 30 minutes and was in awe with this dollar. My notes are as follows - "very very original coin with the original skin that you want on any coinage especially bust coinage. Toning started 200 years and never been tampered with. This coin is what collecting is all about. This is a very special coin (provenance is great too!)" and the new owner got a super prize! "Yes, auction description states that there is weakness on the eagle's breasts but I can't believe that this coin was only graded as a 65+. I would love to know the criteria used by NGC to grade this coin as a 65+ when it could have been an easy 66+." Congratulations to TDN.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always felt that PCGS and NGC should use the + symbol for coins that have the original skin! All other coins don't desire "+"

Easton Collection
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looking at the pics again, I do see a cameo effect between Liberty and the obverse field.

it could be mint frost in the Liberty Head or toning differential.

Hard to tell by the pics unless TDN can give us more specifics as to what he seeing in person.

Otherwise, I would be speculating.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time and attempting to share your thoughts on such a terrific coin-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for taking the time and attempting to share your thoughts on such a terrific coin- >>

+1 Nothing like great skin/getting a coin you love.

K
  • Options
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grade? Or don't you know yet -- cert's not available.

Great that you're sharing these photos.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    Wow, just wow
  • Options
    Lovely piece.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Those pics are nice but in no way do they show as you say the mint glow of the coin. In fact without your pictures in the first post I would never have gotten the true feel of this coin in hand.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those pics are nice but in no way do they show as you say the mint glow of the coin. In fact without your pictures in the first post I would never have gotten the true feel of this coin in hand. >>

Agree.

That coin does not suck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file