Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this large cent a lamination... or struck through a capped die?

tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
My most recent curiosity... an undated large cent with an odd reverse, with a circular 'crack' around most of the rim. But would not seem to be a die crack, since the die does not contact this portion of the rim. Next thought is the coin was struck on a layered planchet, the outer thinner layer is what is causing the circular oddity. However, if it was a layered planchet, it would seem that the rims would be covered with the layer also....? Perhaps the wear on the coin could have worn off the layers on the rim, though that just doesn't quite seem to fit. My third though is perhaps the coin was struck through a very late stage capped die, with the thin layer being imbedded into the planchet; the rim areas were pushed or trimmed off in the process. Close inspection does seem to show the circular inner portion of the coin seems to be struck in...

The 'T' in CENT looks kind of weird; this is from the metal starting to flake off. The wreath also has some areas where the metal has come out, such as below the 'C' in CENT.

What say you?

----- kj

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a lamination to me.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a DE-laminating planchet.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Planchet flaw, delaminating (separating layers of the folded metal) due to improper mix/folding with possible contamination. Exposure to corrosive substance could have affected the laminated/folded layers of the planchet helping cause the reverse to delaminate. If it is a fold/mix issue some of the layers will be a weaker metal and would allow for easier erosion of those areas exposed to any environmentally damaging compounds.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Neither. Personally, I think it's PMD.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a lamination to me. >>

+1
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Planchet flaw delaminating... the T issue seems to be from PMD,..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the info... really appreciate that. I concur with the lamination!
    ----- kj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file