Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

windows 8.1 hint

Recently on this forum, somebody complained that their printer did not work after downloading windows 8.1.

I recently downloaded it and got a warning that the firewall would not allow one of the printer programs to work.
I allowed access through the firewall and my Epson printer still works with the computer.

Comments

• Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Yea, that was me. Spent several hours with a remote tech service to find and re-download
    my Lexmark printer driver. It's all better now.

Also, my 8.1 was a free beta version, not a full paid one. That may have had something
    to do with it.
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Being on the leading edge of technology is also the bleeding edge.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Being on the leading edge of technology is also the bleeding edge. >>

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, new programs need a 'settling in period'....some of which is software glitches, some of which are system incompatibilities, some of which are user issues.....I am never in a rush to acquire new software - especially the Windows iterations....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yea, that was me. Spent several hours with a remote tech service to find and re-download
    my Lexmark printer driver. It's all better now.

Also, my 8.1 was a free beta version, not a full paid one. That may have had something
    to do with it. >>

"Free" beta version vs "paid" would not have mattered other than betas are not finished and there are known areas that are problematic. Trying to work out a problem, publicly, on a beta version is usually worthless. Getting the info to the company is one thing, but with others....not always that helpful.

With Windows, the other gotcha, due to moronic marketing and decisions by one of the VPs, was to clutter things with Windows RT (which is really Windows 8, but for non-Intel/AMD x86/x64 processors.....think "cellphone chips") as well as Windows 8. The former is like the ipad in that it can't just have any old program/driver added to it, but the later is like what people are used to with PCs and able to add anything.

Unless you have the printer set up wirelessly through a protected router, then it really shouldn't be a big issue to screw around with firewalls (I have my network protected and have wireless, as well as wired, printers, and never have had to monkey with firewall settings (Windows 7, Windows 8 beta, Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1 beta, Windows 8.1).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Bochiman, I'm just reiterating what I was told by the 7 different remote techs I went thru
    til the last one fixed the problem.

My biggest complaint is that Microsoft does not (or did not) allow for uninstalling if
    you had any problems! I thought it extremely irresponsible of them to release it
    with absolutely no disclosure about potential problems or being unable to uninstall.

Seems they actually wanted you to run into them based on your OS, software, hardware,
    apps, etc. so you'd complain and they'd know what problems to work on. I saw hundreds
    of complaints @ Microsoft Community forums.
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file