Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pedigrees on common coins.

Seems that in the recent Newman (and sometimes Col Green) auction, a common Morgan or Merc dime brought about a $50 premium to a similar non provenance coin. For example a 1916 Dime in MS64 (residing on my desk now) fetched about $95 at that sale. The same coin without the title, could be had for about $45 on Ebay. $80 Morgan Dollars were bringing $130 or so.

I was happy to pay the premium for a pedestrian yet in a sense, historic piece. I have paid similar and higher premiums for Eliasberg examples.

What pedigrees do you seek out and would you pay more for a common coin (date/grade), or does it have to be more upscale to get your attention?

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like plate coins from "Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837"
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amon Carter - big time! Eliasberg, Garrett, James A Stack and Norweb are special
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the Roper, Garrett, Parmelee and Ford pedigrees.

Most of the other "old school" pedigrees too - Crosby, Stickney, Norweb, etc.

As an aside, plate coins from specialty reference books are usually excellent representatives of their type, but are not necessarily from the author's collection.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my pedigreed common coins, which at the time of purchase, I didn`t have to pay much of a premium. image
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was my view that many of the Newman Mercury Dimes were over graded despite having pretty little stickers on the slabs. I came away with two Newman coins, one of them was a Mercury Dime. I needed neither coin but bought them for entertainment value. I'd like to think that the coins I bought were properly graded but opinions are like... Each coin carried about a $100 premium. I have wasted $200 on much worse things in my life and had NOTHING to show for it. LOL. When/If the coins are over graded then the premiums on some of the coins can be quite dramatic! There was one Mercury Dime that sold for about $1,500 too much based on it being AT LEAST 1.5 points over graded...and yes, it had a pretty little sticker with it. Then there were some Newman coins that did not sell for a premium based on the grade assigned on the holder alone.

I have seen Eliasberg coins that sold for DOUBLE what they are worth just because of the pedigree...some of which were crossed into PCGS holders at a lower grade further compounding the problems.

It is an interesting game we play, that's for sure. If it's not fun, it's not worth it. If you are having fun, that's all that really matters.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pedigree's interest many collectors, and the special one's command a premium. I have never been interested in pedigree's or provenance - for me, it is the coin, and the coin alone. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pedigree's interest many collectors, and the special one's command a premium. I have never been interested in pedigree's or provenance - for me, it is the coin, and the coin alone. Cheers, RickO >>

No exception to that? What about the Mars Cent?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pedigree value:

When selling ... big money.

When buying ... nothing.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    We all have our opinions on the matter. That is what makes it a coin "market".

In 2006 (I believe) a common Peace Dollar was auctioned in a Heritage Air and Space sale. It had been carried to the surface of the Moon by Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin. IIRC the price with the juice was a bit over $20,000. That is some serious provenance money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file