Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks guys

Just picked this one today. It's a 1840 small/large 18. This is an unattributed PCGS XF45. The 18 over 18 is pretty dramatic, especially the 8. It's Coinfacts rated tied #2 toughest of the 81 coins in the series but that's one debate I'll leave to the expert copper guys. Still a pretty exciting find! Enjoy:

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great find !

nice picture thanks
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dramatic but listed as an r2 as a business strike.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The variety is dramatic in appearance, but is mainly a condition rarity. I owned a raw example that was found in a mason jar full of late dates a few years ago, which PCGS graded MS-64, and EAC graded AU-58. To the best of my knowledge, the top of the condition census is PCGS MS-65RB ex:Naftzger (not by EAC standards). Very nice find Manorcourtman !

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    dramatic but listed as an r2 as a business strike.
    . >>

The PCGS price guide lists this variety as worth $475 in XF45, compared to $225 for the more common large date. Curiously, the pop in 45 is 2 for the 1840/18 and 14 for the large date in 45.

Total pop:

1840/18: 20 in BN, 2 in RB= 22 (all grades)
    1840 large date: 159 BN 22 RB= 181 (all grades)

The 1840/18 was the last coronet head variety I found, after years of searching. There are not many in PCGS holders AU and above (11).
  • Options

<< <i>There are not many in PCGS holders AU and above (11). >>

when it comes to copper coins, of this era, the pcgs pops have very little to offer due to crackouts and coins that were never sent nor would grade due to various probs. - i did think about modding my post to raise the rarity for fun to try and reflect the number of the purported numbers in holders but it seemed disingenuous because that would imply people are striving to get them into holders which they are not, in fact it is the opposite from what i've seen/read. also the cqr is way off base for 2013 for many items, so it it hard to get a grasp on a value for this item.

another pcgs price that imo is too high based on auction results that i've seen.

i've found myself slipping when considering pcgs prices since they seem to be of more use for return insurance than real-world results, private or public unless that is their main purpose, then they are spot-on since replacing a coin for what the insurance number is can prove problematic.

although if someone is just collecting, probably doesn't matter to them too much other than insuring. just don't want to contribute to another thread centering around the value of an item rather than its coolness. image

thanks for posting the pops, when i did look, i only counted the officially attributed ones which i think showed 6 in all grades which is what made me thing of modding my post for fun about the rarity but now seeing your numbers, i'm glad i didn't since i didn't consider the general attributed ones.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Way to go nice.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    I've never seen that variety before. Way cool! image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellant!! Very nice find!
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Coin & Nice Work brother! I pick plenty of fruit but have never found an infamous beautiful Cherry. You just have and Congrats image

Erik
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>another pcgs price that imo is too high based on auction results that i've seen. >>

IMO the market value of an 1840/18 in a PCGS 45-50 holder is at least twice as much as the PCGS price guide.

I don't know what auction results you have seen, these are the ones I am aware of for all PCGS graded 1840/18 since 1990:

1. May 2006, PCGS AU50 Heritage lot 7075 $1156
    2. September 2009, PCGS MS65RB Goldberg lot 603 $24150 ex: Naftzger
    3. September 2011, PCGS MS65RB Heritage lot 3064 $16100 ex: Boka.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent cherrypick....Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know what auction results you have seen, these are the ones I am aware of for all PCGS graded 1840/18 since 1990: >>

i only looked up the ones that were officially attributed. i was too tired to be doing as much as i was last night and am glad you kept this going to show the great results for the non official attributed ones. a rather large difference!

• Options
    Great find - congrats! That's one of my favorite late date varieties (along with the 1843 Petite Head/Large Letters) and is really tough to find in nice grade like yours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file