Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An Important Piece of Western "Numismatic" Americana History

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Without a doubt one of the coolest exonumia items I've ever had the opportunity to purchase... Enjoy! image

1892 Buffalo Bill's Wild West Company – Obverse 38mm Diameter Medal Die Adjustment Trial Strike

A unique test strike struck on a thick oversized brass planchet for a prize medal William Fredrick Cody had commissioned London die-sinkers Baddeley & Reynolds to design during one of the overseas tours with Annie Oakley and a full ensemble who performed for Queen Victoria.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Congratulations.

I like the detail on his vest. image

Have you ever seen the finished product? I wonder what the reverse looks like.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

<< <i>Very cool. Congratulations.

I like the detail on his vest. image

Have you ever seen the finished product? I wonder what the reverse looks like. >>

I'm a bit pressed for time so I didn't get to do a full write up but was excited to just share it.

Dealer member Pistareen has one of the actual merit prize medals on his site

The medals themselves are quite scarce as research wise I could only locate 2 that have come to market.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the finished medal struck up nice and detailed thanks in part to your test strike example. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!!! I would imagine that it's unique.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I am amazed at the tokens and medals you have Broadstruck.
    I just read a thread ats with some great looking examples.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three of Bill Cody's children by Louisa Frederici are buried at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Rochester, N.Y., about a mile from where I live. The NFL franchise Buffalo Bills are named in honor of Bill Cody, and is the reason for the American Bison logo on their helmets (Cody was an outspoken advocate of conservation of the American Bison).

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now your combining your two passions, very cool piece image
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat and historical item BS.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat die trial!
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive piece.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool piece.....Buffalo Bill and the wild west is a true piece of American history.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this is one of the coolest medals I've seen. I love anything western related, and this is a wonderful piece of history! Thank you Broadstruck for sharing this!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options

<< <i>Whoa pardner, that is amazing....yahoo! >>

Thanks Realone.

<< <i>Looks like the finished medal struck up nice and detailed thanks in part to your test strike example. image >>

Thanks sparky64, luckily for me this strike is also almost fully there just being bit soft on the high points.

<< <i>Very cool!!! I would imagine that it's unique.image >>

Thanks PerryHall, Yeah I doubt we’ll see another posted anytime soon.

<< <i>I am amazed at the tokens and medals you have Broadstruck.
    I just read a thread ats with some great looking examples. >>

Thanks JerseyJoe, Glad you enjoyed the threads on NGC forum… I’m amazed myself that we managed to take the HTT thread to nearly 700 posts and that it has had almost 91,000 viewers.

<< <i>Three of Bill Cody's children by Louisa Frederici are buried at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Rochester, N.Y., about a mile from where I live. The NFL franchise Buffalo Bills are named in honor of Bill Cody, and is the reason for the American Bison logo on their helmets (Cody was an outspoken advocate of conservation of the American Bison). >>

Thanks coindeuce as I wasn’t aware of Cody’s children having resided in NY.

<< <i>Cool stuff! >>

Thanks Keyman64.

<< <i> Now your combining your two passions, very cool piece >>

Yeah ErrorsOnCoins as I’d much rather have the die trial then the actual finished medal.

<< <i> Very neat and historical item BS. >>

Thanks morgansforever.

<< <i>Very neat die trial! >>

Thanks coinJP.

<< <i> Very impressive piece. >>

Thanks Flatwoods.

<< <i>Very cool piece.....Buffalo Bill and the wild west is a true piece of American history. >>

Thanks Goldbully… So true!

<< <i>Wow, this is one of the coolest medals I've seen. I love anything western related, and this is a wonderful piece of history! Thank you Broadstruck for sharing this! >>

Thanks ThePennyLady, I was excited to share this… As just seeing it took me back in the day of being a kid awaiting a new edition of the pleather bound Time Life series books on the Old West.

<< <i>How about the story of how you found this one! >>

Realone, let’s just say I hunted it down, cornered it, and went in for the kill.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is awesome... a token that if I found it in a shop, I would likely buy it on the spot.... very cool...Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>That is awesome... a token that if I found it in a shop, I would likely buy it on the spot.... very cool...Cheers, RickO >>

Thanks ricko, It was bought on the spot as I already knew what metal it was die trial of.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool token, here's an old photo of the two legends.
    .image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boffo!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file