Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another use for silver

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been using silver coins in my cold mist humidifier.

I have been using 90% silver coins and wonder if I should use .999 silver instead.

I have had a chemist test the water in a tub with the 90% silver coins and it has 80% less bacteria than the untreated water.

I did not think of the .999 silver until now.
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A use for .999 pandas...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A use for .999 pandas... >>

a use for .999 coins image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if that would work for CPAP machines or what ever they are called for sleep apnea? A friend of mine goes through three gallons of distilled water a week changing the water ever night to reduce bacteria.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use silver-impregnated bandages & sponges in surgery for the same reason.

I've heard old-timers would sometimes put a dime in the bottom of a gallon of milk - apparently it wouldn't sour as quickly.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some truth about the silver spoon stories?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't silver bullets good for killing werewolves and silver crosses good for repelling vampires? image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whats the silver to water ratio for it to be effective?
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect it's more a function of surface area. Take a one ounce bar and pound it thin with a hammer so it's like a sheet.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of another unusual use for silver coins. My father was in the industrial chemical business for many years. He complained that a competitor would sell 55 gallon drums of solvent to his customers and drop a few silver dollars in the drum. The employees of the shop would go through the solvent at warp speed, to get at the silver.

Pretty shady, but like many schemes, it worked.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver is an established anti-bacterial element and used in many applications. The .999 would likely be more effective, but not sure it would be measurable to any great extent....Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Aren't silver bullets good for killing werewolves and silver crosses good for repelling vampires? image >>

That's all a myth as I'm a werewolf and silver bullets do nothing to me image.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC it was once believed that sulfur was a cure for venereal diseases. The sufferer would know the proper dosage had been attained when the silver coin in his shoe turned black.

Edited to add: Based on a PM, I should clarify: not only doesn't this actually work on the clap, it's coin doctoring. And, on another point... Jewel-Luster doesn't work on the clap. . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a .999 silver customer who bought it specifically for making a colloidal suspension solution for topical application to treat infections, venomous bites and burns. Also have had a glassblower buy silver to be used for "fogging" in glass creations in the same manner that gold is used.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file