Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Black Friday BBCE Rip--1975 Topps mini and 1977 OPC wax!

I got my Black Friday order from BBCE in record time and will be ripping a few 75 mini and 77 opc packs tonight!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    You have turned into a COMPULSIVE RIPPER!

Mike will be coming to your house in the morning and bringing you to therapy!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Tim!
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I'll believe it when I see it!

Was deliberating ripping a '74-86T FB run this afternoon, but slammed back a couple of shots of Patrón and got through the urge. Will use Tito's and lime juice to get through the urge later!
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    lol.....

Good luck!

aconte
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys, LOL!

Doug, I can quit anytime...really I can.. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Some sharp and nicely centered cards. The Nettles loks to have a shot at gem mint (the dot on the left border is on the scanner, not the card). May have to open one or two more. image

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Nice start. Nettles has a little too much tilt and border variance at the bottom to garner the 10, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Charlie Hustle...centered a bit to the left, but an otherwise very nice-lloking card. Probably a solid 8..

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice Rose!!

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Rose!!

aconte >>

Thanks, Tony!

I was just looking at a 77 PSA 10 from my last sub (Knowles), and maybe Rhoden has a shot as PSA seems to prefer cards centered higher than lower (though Rhoden appears a tad higher centered after posting the pic). I have found this to be the case with 75 minis as well.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Charlie Hustle...centered a bit to the left
    image >>

A bit to the left near the bottom, a bit to the right near the top. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Charlie Hustle...centered a bit to the left
    image >>

A bit to the left near the bottom, a bit to the right near the top. image >>

You're right about that, lol.

That might actually work in my favor in a weird way, though, as I've seen some cards in higher grades with tilts.

One more pack..

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    That Cards team card looks good in the scan.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Last pack yielded three more very nice commons...I'm going to quit now and get ready for Thanksgiving...I may have to slab the other 15 or so packs in this partial box to stop myself from ripping them all later, LOL!

• Options
    Thanks for sharing Tim. HAPPY TURKEY DAY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for sharing Tim. HAPPY TURKEY DAY! >>

You, too, Doug! Hope you and the family have a great day!

• Options

<< <i>That Cards team card looks good in the scan. >>

Thanks, David~I'm hoping it will grade Mint 9, along with a few others.

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I missed all the fun, Tim. I just awoke from my tryptophan-caused slumber!! Nice work. I love the Rose!!! My OPC version of this card is at PSA right now!! image
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Tim! Thanks for the rip!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice little rip!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Nice pulls image
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing, Tim. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Tim

I just came out of a turkey coma long enough to thank you for the rip.

I saw some very nice cards.

The Cardinals team card is xtra sweet - nicely centered.

Bring back some 10s!

Again, Happy Thanksgiving.
    Mike
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff Tim! Thanks for sharing the rip...very nice cards coming out of those packs...15 more packs calling your name image
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Nice Nettles!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll believe it when I see it!

Was deliberating ripping a '74-86T FB run this afternoon, but slammed back a couple of shots of Patrón and got through the urge. Will use Tito's and lime juice to get through the urge later! >>

Haven't had any Patrón since Baltimore. I think I need to make a pit stop. image

Doug, I have given up on Tim. He is a lost cause...I just hope he doesn't head over here after he is done with his stuff. image

Btw, nice cards Tim.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Well ripped, Tim!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks, fellas, will keep everyone posted on the grades.

Disclaimer: All ripping is done strictly for research purposes. image

• Options
    OK, one more before midnight! image

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, one more before midnight! image >>

it's only 9:07 on the west coast. Rip a full box!
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>

it's only 9:07 on the west coast. Rip a full box! >>

LOL, I may use that reasoning! image

But after this pack, I will quit while ahead (for now, lol)~pulled another Rose and the Ryan was right behind it! Exciting pulls, if not perfectly centered. A coupe of nicely centered commons, too, including a nice Dodgers team card. Color and registration on these is definitely above average. About as good as I can expect to get from a 10-card pack!

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    very nice pulls on the 77 packs!
  • Options
    Wow! That Dodgers and LeFlore look like GEMs. Nice hit on the 2nd Rose and Ryan.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

it's only 9:07 on the west coast. Rip a full box! >>

LOL, I may use that reasoning! image

But after this pack, I will quit while ahead (for now, lol)~pulled another Rose and the Ryan was right behind it! Exciting pulls, if not perfectly centered. A coupe of nicely centered commons, too, including a nice Dodgers team card. Color and registration on these is definitely above average. About as good as I can expect to get from a 10-card pack!

image >>

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Just got in 3 packs of 78 opc and 10 packs of 82 opc wax packs! Will resume ripping tonight! image

• Options
    Interesting thread. Are you going to submit these cards and then post the results? I have not seen a thread of this type for a little while now.
  • Options
    He will if you put your pants on.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting thread. Are you going to submit these cards and then post the results? I have not seen a thread of this type for a little while now. >>

Definitely will be submitting the better cards and will revisit the thread when I get them back. I dont have any multi-colored infared graph skills, though. image

• Options
    Can't wait for the OPC!
  • Options
    Tim ... is this lady referring to OPC as well?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Tim ... is this lady referring to OPC as well?

image >>

I would say Donruss on that one, Doug, LOL!

• Options
    Ripped 4 packs of 78 OPC wax. Lots of star power in these 4 packs, including a really sharp Rose (scanned below), and a nice Ryan. Others stars pulled included McCovey, Brock, Morgan and Carlton who was showing on back of one of the packs but seal was popped so I opened it.

• Options
    Some of the nicer common cards...I really like this set, even better than the Topps version.

• Options
    They are looking good Tim.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Nice Cards, Tim. I love the rough cuts! Put a pack in your hand, and out comes a Rose or Ryan!!!! image

Edit to say: It does seem, though that the edgse here are smoother than a lot of OPC that are seen. Do you see this more with 1978 than with other years?
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    You're not a very good researcher if you keep having to open packs. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    What's next? Isn't this one of those threads where the ripping continues thru the holiday weekend???? I should have bought some of those 77 packs when you offered them a few weeks ago. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

<< <i>You're not a very good researcher if you keep having to open packs. image >>

We need sufficient data for the satisfaction of our control group. image

David, I am scouring the vault for any vintage packs that reveal the slightest flaws, lol..

Edit to say: It does seem, though that the edgse here are smoother than a lot of OPC that are seen. Do you see this more with 1978 than with other years?

I have found that the rough edges typical in OPC cards are fairly consistent from box to box. OPC used very primitive cutting methods for cutting sheets during this era, using airplane wire for the task, which was replaced only occasionally when cutting worsened to the point where even their lax QC standards weren't met. This particular run of 78 OPC packs exhibited fairly smooth, almost Topps-like edges on the cards, so these packs were most likely produced soon after the wires were changed. In addition to the airplane wire, another reason for the rougher cut on the edges of 78 OPC cards is that the card stock used by OPC was noticeably thicker than the stock used for their Topps counterparts, which offered more resistance to the cut itself.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    can't wait to see the 1982s!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>can't wait to see the 1982s! >>

Will commence ripping those right now!~ image