Home Precious Metals
Options

What year did you first buy precious metals? ~poll~

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the sake of this poll, click the year you first bought some significant amount of precious metal bullion?
"Significant" is self-defined, but we want to eliminate the first little bits and pieces one acquires here and there, and concentrate on the year you bought, say 10 oz of silver or a quarter oz of gold, for example.
As a lot of us started as coin collectors, we'd also like to eliminate "collectible" PM items in which the melt value comprises less than half of the market value of the item.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I started by going to the bank in 1964/65 and getting rolls of quarters.

Started buying Double Eagles, Krugerrands, and Peace Dollars in 1975. Sold out in 1980.

Came back in 2009 with Double Eagles, Peace Dollars, and Franklins.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I purchased a roll of ASE some time ago, sent them all to PCGS and got them graded. Didn't do too well on them, no 70's but I did get about half 69's and the rest 68's. Sat on them for awhile then sold them when Silver hit $50 and ounce. This is when I started looking at metal as an investment rather than numismatically (Is that a word).

Somewhere in 2011 I guess, I sold some Gold, Silver and Platinum (All purchased for numismatic value) for their metal value as the melt value out paced the numismatic value. I Walked them into my local B&M. He was nice enough to refuse my MS70 Gold and Platinum (I still own them). I was going in to turn them all in to pay off my house (Not a significant amount mind you, just the final $10k or so).

I finally started buying metal when I retired in 2012. Yes, I am under water right now image Not to worry, I have a bamboo straw long enough to keep me breathing.

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i really wish i would have brought a bunch when it crashed back in the early 80s. oh well.........
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1962 - I got change for a dollar bill. Those four quarters are now worth $14.16. Can't say the same for the dollar bill, it's now worth much less than it was then - in 1962 it was worth over three gallons of gasoline, about the same as are those four silver quarters today.

Who woulda ever thought that silver could be dollar insurance. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 Onzas in 1975, (but I did have a roll of 1963 dimes in 1963).
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2002, I was 16 and buying on ebay. Living on the farm in a small town it was only source I knew of at the time.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early 1970's !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1963, war nickels from circulation.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    i have been collecting the silver coinage i found in change & from the retail shops i worked since the 80's.

id always grab a few random 1oz (~$5 ea) every time i was at the B&M across the street from where i worked.
    when the state quarters came out, i was getting more rolls of quarters and halves to search.
    i was only buying a single ASE for the dansco until 2002 (poll date selected) = the birth year of my son. i have 5oz of silver for his set.

my first big sale was when silver hit $26, and i used the proceeds to upgrade and fill the remaining holes in the WLH album. now its just upgrades.
    didnt feel too bad paying $15 face for a VF 21s.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    Before I had any clue about the PM markets and being more of a collector than a stacker.

I remember back in 06-07 buying approx 18-20 XF grade walker rolls for $60-70.
    ASE's for $6-8 bucks each.
    $20 libs & saints $600-700 each.
    Used to flip the stuff in hindsight for minimal profitsup untill about 2009ish
    and stepped away from it all (lack of income) untill a few months ago.
    Wish I could have a do over with knowing what I know now.

Thanks for asking.

Twobit.
    Dansco BU washie set empty holes:
    32d,32s,34d,35d,36d,37,37d,37s,38,38s,39s.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Franklin Mint art bars in the early 1970's….Christmas 1972 (Hauling the Yule Log), etc.
  • Options
    I think around 2007, gold was around $700 and I bought into a fund, sold a good deal of it around $1000, then bought back in around $1100, sold some of that at around $16 or $1700. All my "profit" was spent on high grade toners, mostly at FUN. I must have bought some more because part of what I have now is down.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    I did not like silver eagles since I considered them to be just overpriced bullion. I stuck with collector classic coins. Five or six years on the ASE's became both bullion and a collector series for a lot of people. More people were wanting them as well as bars and rounds. That was when I started to stack all of them.

Typo
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought 2-100 oz Engelhard silver bars in 1987. I thought the deficit spending would ruin the country. I thought silver was cheap after falling 85% from its highs. 17 years later it was still cheap. I shoulda bought MSFT, or beer, or a jet-ski. Even if I had held to today would only be up about 180% after 26 years. Thats about 3.9% annualized return. I should have just kept the money in a savings account. Lesson learned. Time is the most important (and most misunderstood) asset.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bought 2-100 oz Engelhard silver bars in 1987. I thought the deficit spending would ruin the country. I thought silver was cheap after falling 85% from its highs. 17 years later it was still cheap. I shoulda bought MSFT, or beer, or a jet-ski. Even if I had held to today would only be up about 180% after 26 years. Thats about 3.9% annualized return. I should have just kept the money in a savings account. Lesson learned. Time is the most important (and most misunderstood) asset. >>

Wouldn't the 3.9% annualized return (after compounding) have been a better play than a savings account?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I don't think so. The Fed funds rate averaged about 4% from 1987 to present. CD's pay more than the fed funds rates. I suppose we could call it a draw but that would only support my view that silver is just another asset class that over time will have a return similar to all other assets.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2009. Up to then, it was strictly coins.
  • Options
    1977 here

• Options
    1984 used tour bonus and bought Saints
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late '80's and more seriously, very early '90's...... and still smiling.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Summer of 2012
  • Options
    This poll was about our first major PM purchase, probably the next one should be, when did you buy most of your PM stack?

My answer to that one would be 2001 or 2002

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2003 in earnest. 2005 I really stepped it up
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bullion, in 1968 !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    JGnumismaticsJGnumismatics Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I'm a YN, so for me 2013. It was a good learning curve though, I witnessed silver at $35 come all the way down to approx $17 now. I remember as well I bought a 1/10th gold maple as well for spot which I think came to 145 or 150 at the time.
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    or just type in JGnumismatics into google
    PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member
    Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does add up if you are consistent.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    First big purchase of gold....a handfull of Krugerands in 1974.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    2014. I know the month if you'd like to know. image
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started in when the U.S. Mint started issuing bullion again in the 80s.