Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2014 Hall of Fame Ballot Announced

2»

Comments

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank God they left Miller's corpse out. Rare when they do the right thing image
  • Options

<< <i>The first wave of the 2014 class looks awesome with Larussa, Torre and Cox all getting 100% votes. Can't wait to see which players will join them but it should be a blockbuster induction class this year in Cooperstown. Trip planning starts today... >>

What a joke. I guess those idiot voters consider coaches more important than the players. Players win games, not coaches. Not counting Torre who was a good player.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The first wave of the 2014 class looks awesome with Larussa, Torre and Cox all getting 100% votes. Can't wait to see which players will join them but it should be a blockbuster induction class this year in Cooperstown. Trip planning starts today... >>

What a joke. I guess those idiot voters consider coaches more important than the players. Players win games, not coaches. Not counting Torre who was a good player. >>

The Expansion Era Committee handled today's election. The Expansion Era Committee (basically the "Veterans Committee") consists of:

Hall of Famers: Rod Carew, Carlton Fisk, Whitey Herzog, Tommy Lasorda, Joe Morgan, Paul Molitor, Phil Niekro, Frank Robinson
    Executives: Paul Beeston, Andy MacPhail, Dave Montgomery, Jerry Reinsdorf
    Media and historians: Steve Hirdt, Bruce Jenkins, Jack O'Connor, Jim Reeves

The standard player voting (who's results will be revealed next month) is handled by hundreds of sports writers.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "What a joke. I guess those idiot voters consider coaches more important than the players. Players win games, not coaches. Not counting Torre who was a good player."

This was the list the veteran's committee had to select from:
    The nominees:

Dave Concepcion
    Bobby Cox
    Steve Garvey
    Tommy John
    Tony La Russa
    Billy Martin
    Marvin Miller
    Dave Parker
    Dan Quisenberry
    Ted Simmons
    George Steinbrenner
    Joe Torre

I personally don't think a single player on this list deserved to be put in the HOF. All 3 manager's earned it IMO.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The committee got it right. It's not about comparing the accomplishments of players to the accomplishments of managers. This class included 3 of the most important managers of the last 50 years and its only fitting that they go in together. Won't see this many managers go in in another class maybe ever.

And the fact that Torre, Cox, and LaRussa all got in via unanimous vote really speaks to the widespread appreciation of all 3.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What a joke. I guess those idiot voters consider coaches more important than the players. Players win games, not coaches. Not counting Torre who was a good player. >>

The Expansion Era Committee handled today's election. The Expansion Era Committee (basically the "Veterans Committee") consists of:

Hall of Famers: Rod Carew, Carlton Fisk, Whitey Herzog, Tommy Lasorda, Joe Morgan, Paul Molitor, Phil Niekro, Frank Robinson
    Executives: Paul Beeston, Andy MacPhail, Dave Montgomery, Jerry Reinsdorf
    Media and historians: Steve Hirdt, Bruce Jenkins, Jack O'Connor, Jim Reeves >>

Who were the people who chose which players to put on the ballot?

Evans, Grich and Hernandez are all much stronger candidates than Concepcion, Garvey and Parker
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How do you know he did? I don't believe it. IMO all professional cheat with ped. Even to this day and going back to the late 60s. Do ped and never make it to the majors or do it and have the ride of a lifetime , no one with the mental competitive needed to be a pro athlete is going to turn away from them. People are seriously nieve to believe so. >>

Says the guy who lives on the sideline. I coached two current current major leaguers and a dozen minor league players at the high school level. Do I question a couple of them? Sure. But there is zero percent chance on most of them that they use or have used any PED. When you stay until dark sweating with a kid who is trying to nail down his opposite field swing on right-handed sliders and spend hundreds of hours in totality helping a kid become the professional player he is today, you can comment on what they put into their bodies. Until then, how dare you claim that "all professional (sic) cheat" or "no one with the mental competitive needed to be a pro athlete is going to turn away from them". If you are as irresponsible with your words in real life as you are on this topic on this message board, you're either going to get sued or shot.

<< <i>In the end no one really cares either way. Just use some scapegoats blame some players from a certain era and that's that. The show must go on. Besides who wants to see 40s 50s style sports today. That would be boring compared to what we are all use to now. >>

State's exhibit #1 as to the kind of fan you are. It's all about home runs and strikeouts. The ADHD fan of the 21st century. Big hits in NFL games, dunks in NBA games, and home runs in baseball games. Those of us who follow the game on something other than ESPN highlights know that players like Greg Maddux who rely on pure skill are the best players to watch. >>

skills and ped for recovery and longevity . Nieve really , fantasy land. and all professionals players cheat , its a fact of life. If you dont you are not going to make it or last.

when there is a lot of money and a lot of competitiion , if you do not cheat you will never make it. Its a fact. I dont care what it is someone is putting into their body , they are cheating with some form or drug. It will eventually all come out. We see only the ones that get caught. thats just the tip of the iceburg. Lance Armstrong has never been caught red handed but everyone knows he cheated , not only him but the entire us cycling team without many ever getting caught. Not just Lance but all of them and all the other cyclist who were awarded Lance's Tour De France titles have all been accused of the same allegations. Olympic athletes all the time loose their medals years afterwards.

Today atheletes are much smarter and the drugs are almost impossible to trace. Its a big business on how to cover your drug abuse and its going to continuously get harder until it will eventually become untraceable. You have to love science.

Cheating is a part of professional sports. Always have been always will be. fan boys will never believe it but all you have to do is look outside the bubble at other sports and dramatic increase in athletic abilities of todays athletes. Its not from training.

but again like I stated before this is IMO
  • Options

<< <i>"What a joke. I guess those idiot voters consider coaches more important than the players. Players win games, not coaches. Not counting Torre who was a good player."

This was the list the veteran's committee had to select from:
    The nominees:

Dave Concepcion
    Bobby Cox
    Steve Garvey
    Tommy John
    Tony La Russa
    Billy Martin
    Marvin Miller
    Dave Parker
    Dan Quisenberry
    Ted Simmons
    George Steinbrenner
    Joe Torre

I personally don't think a single player on this list deserved to be put in the HOF. All 3 manager's earned it IMO. >>

Agreed .. Dan Quisenberry is on that list ? hmmm
  • Options
    So you go from telling me that I am naive and that it's a fact of life to wrapping it up by saying that's it just your opinion. Can't make that up.

Could you please list your evidence that all professional baseball players use some form of PED's? Thanks in advance.
  • Options

<< <i>So you go from telling me that I am naive and that it's a fact of life to wrapping it up by saying that's it just your opinion. Can't make that up.

Could you please list your evidence that all professional baseball players use some form of PED's? Thanks in advance. >>

Dont be ridiculous I have no direct evidence. As I stated looking at sports and ped as awhole and the overall change in drugs and money involved. You can clearly see a define pattern of how deep ped use really is.

but look at facts like annual MLB drug Report stating 122 players are using ped and all of them get a pass because they have a doctors note for it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA what a funny joke
  • Options
    So you call me naive and say that it's a fact that all pro players use PEDs, but when I ask you to back it up, I am the one being ridiculous?

You're a strange bird.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how was Maddux better than Clemens in any capicity ? >>

More complete games, more strikeouts, fewer hits allowed, more ERA titles, longer stretch of greatness, more Cy Youngs, better career ERA+, better winning %, etc.

Greg Maddux was an incredible pitcher - an absolute no-doubt, first ballot, should get 100% of the vote, kind of guy.

But Clemens was better. Is that because of the roids? Probably. But in terms of pure output and performance, what actually happened on the field, Clemens was better. Clemens was great in 1986 and still great in 2006 (in limited duty), retiring after 2007. Maddux stopped being great with the 2002 season but played 6 more years. He was still good for awhile but stopped being great.

IMHO, if you ignore the roids question and just go by what happened on the field, Roger Clemens is the greatest pitcher of all-time.
  • Options

<< <i>Apart from PEDs, Clemens' postseason pitching left something to be desired. >>

it was a lot better than Maddux i showed the stats. Not only that Maddux was awful in AL games and struggled with the smaller strike zone and with the AL being the tougher division teams of that era .

Maddux never pitched in the AL so we will never know how good he was, but of the games he did , it was not that good. He did not have stuff but he had great knowlege.
  • Options

<< <i>So you call me naive and say that it's a fact that all pro players use PEDs, but when I ask you to back it up, I am the one being ridiculous?

You're a strange bird. >>

listen I cant prove for a fact that we live in a universe with black holes , but I know its a fact. through emprical evidence and data
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>how was Maddux better than Clemens in any capicity ? >>

More complete games, more strikeouts, fewer hits allowed, more ERA titles, longer stretch of greatness, more Cy Youngs, better career ERA+, better winning %, etc.

Greg Maddux was an incredible pitcher - an absolute no-doubt, first ballot, should get 100% of the vote, kind of guy.

But Clemens was better. Is that because of the roids? Probably. But in terms of pure output and performance, what actually happened on the field, Clemens was better. Clemens was great in 1986 and still great in 2006 (in limited duty), retiring after 2007. Maddux stopped being great with the 2002 season but played 6 more years. He was still good for awhile but stopped being great.

IMHO, if you ignore the roids question and just go by what happened on the field, Roger Clemens is the greatest pitcher of all-time. >>

wait are you saying Maddux had more Cy Youngs and Stirke Outs than Clemens ???????????????
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Apart from PEDs, Clemens' postseason pitching left something to be desired. >>

it was a lot better than Maddux i showed the stats >>

Well then, you must have shown the wrong ones. >>

the stats dont lie, Maddux 11-14 on the big stage despite a 3.27 ERA and he pitched 198 innings, with a 1.24 WHIP, 2 CG, 195 hits allowed, 125 K's and a .440% WP. In Greg's final 8 starts in the fall classic his team was 1-7. Roger on the other hand was 12-8 with a 3.75 ERA, 199 IP, with 173 K's, 173 hits, 1 CG and a .600% WP

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So you call me naive and say that it's a fact that all pro players use PEDs, but when I ask you to back it up, I am the one being ridiculous?

You're a strange bird. >>

listen I cant prove for a fact that we live in a universe with black holes , but I know its a fact. through emprical evidence and data >>

Fine, give me the empirical evidence and data which leads you to believe that every professional baseball player uses PEDs.
  • Options
    Also, keep fighting the good fight for Clemens while Maddux makes a run at the most votes ever.
  • Options
    yeah but look at world series performance , Maddux had more opportunities for his era to average out. Since the Braves were an amazing team for NL during his playing days here.

I dont think Maddux is in the same league as Clemens only Spahn and Seaver imo are.
  • Options
    already did and how is it that mlb has a populaton of 18 percent of people with add while the normal population is 3 percent. whats the treatment for add ? adderal a ped.
  • Options
    how many postseason games did each pitch ?
  • Options

<< <i>already did and how is it that mlb has a populaton of 18 percent of people with add while the normal population is 3 percent. whats the treatment for add ? adderal a ped. >>

Please tell me that your evidence for "every professional player uses PEDs" is something more than some random stat about 18% of MLB players having ADD. Please tell me that you have something more than that.

Ben Zobrist. Prove that he uses PEDs.
  • Options

<< <i>yeah but look at world series performance , Maddux had more opportunities for his era to average out. Since the Braves were an amazing team for NL during his playing days here. >>

Maddux post-season starts: 30
    Clemens post-season starts: 34

Maddux World Series starts: 5
    Clemens World Series starts: 6

They have whole wings dedicated to people like you.

<< <i>I dont think Maddux is in the same league as Clemens only Spahn and Seaver imo are. >>

This is just plain stupid.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>already did and how is it that mlb has a populaton of 18 percent of people with add while the normal population is 3 percent. whats the treatment for add ? adderal a ped. >>

Please tell me that your evidence for "every professional player uses PEDs" is something more than some random stat about 18% of MLB players having ADD. Please tell me that you have something more than that.

Ben Zobrist. Prove that he uses PEDs. >>

I do not see why you insist on engaging a 12 year old kid borrowing his dad's laptop.
  • Options
    I'm guessing Parker, Garvey, and Simmons peers do not like them. How do you not elect these guys when their stats are comparable to other hall of famers?

Larussa's teams were pharmacy warehouses. The baseball hall of fame is joke.
  • Options

<< <i>wait are you saying Maddux had more Cy Youngs and Stirke Outs than Clemens ??????????????? >>

LOL, I misread something and write a brilliant post refuting a point not being made. Good grief. Yeah, I obviously wasn't trying to say Maddux had more CYs than Clemens, etc. I'm a moron, LOL.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I don't know who is better between Clemens and Maddux- Its a balanced debate with defensible points on both sides.

But I do know that of everyone elected to the HOF this year, no player has stats that I would deem unreachable. Only 1 individual in this class has an unbreakable record and that is Bobby Cox 14 straight division titles. Won't see it again, in any major sport, ever.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know who is better between Clemens and Maddux- Its a balanced debate with defensible points on both sides.

But I do know that of everyone elected to the HOF this year, no player has stats that I would deem unreachable. Only 1 individual in this class has an unbreakable record and that is Bobby Cox 14 straight division titles. Won't see it again, in any major sport, ever. >>

agreed !!!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know who is better between Clemens and Maddux- Its a balanced debate with defensible points on both sides.

But I do know that of everyone elected to the HOF this year, no player has stats that I would deem unreachable. Only 1 individual in this class has an unbreakable record and that is Bobby Cox 14 straight division titles. Won't see it again, in any major sport, ever. >>

Means he was a good manager during the regular season. But a choker when it counted.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Impressive record for Cox certainly but I think either Maddux's 18 gold gloves or his 17 year 15 win streak records could be deemed un reachable. It did take over 100 years for him to break Cy Young's record after all maybe it won't ever be broken again??
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

<< <i> Only 1 individual in this class has an unbreakable record and that is Bobby Cox 14 straight division titles. Won't see it again, in any major sport, ever. >>

Patriots are up to 13
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Only 1 individual in this class has an unbreakable record and that is Bobby Cox 14 straight division titles. Won't see it again, in any major sport, ever. >>

Patriots are up to 13 >>

The Patriots haven't won 13 straight division titles. They missed the playoffs completely the year Brady got hurt.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Patriots are up to 13 >>

The Patriots haven't won 13 straight division titles. They missed the playoffs completely the year Brady got hurt. >>

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/

If the Braves and Mets had the same number of wins, you would still credit that as part of Bobby Cox's streak. And if they every finished with fewer wins, you just ignore it completely:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/1994.shtml
  • Options
    I am voting Frank Thomas or Greg Maddux
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Patriots are up to 13 >>

The Patriots haven't won 13 straight division titles. They missed the playoffs completely the year Brady got hurt. >>

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/

If the Braves and Mets had the same number of wins, you would still credit that as part of Bobby Cox's streak. And if they every finished with fewer wins, you just ignore it completely:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/1994.shtml >>

Wait, you're serious? You're giving the Patriots division titles in those years? I think the league that determines the champions would disagree with you.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Wait, you're serious? You're giving the Patriots division titles in those years? I think the league that determines the champions would disagree with you. >>

Yet you're seriously giving consecutive division titles to the Braves despite that year. I think anyone who can count past 68 would disagree with you
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Wait, you're serious? You're giving the Patriots division titles in those years? I think the league that determines the champions would disagree with you. >>

Yet you're seriously giving division consecutive titles to the Braves despite that year. I think anyone who can count past 68 would disagree with you >>

Could you point out the post where I wrote anything about the Braves? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I can tell you who won the AFC East in 2008. Can you tell me who won the NL East in 1994, with a link from MLB?
  • Options
    You were definitely saying that the Patriots streak of 13 is invalid, which most everyone is ok with. Your refusal to comment on the validity of the Braves streak said a lot

Claiming either one as a streak is silly, which is why they are being compared to each other
  • Options

<< <i>You were definitely saying that the Patriots streak of 13 is invalid, which most everyone is ok with. Your refusal to comment on the validity of the Braves streak said a lot

Claiming either one as a streak is silly, which is why they are being compared to each other >>

Who else won the division during the Braves' streak?
  • Options

<< <i>I can tell you who won the AFC East in 2008. Can you tell me who won the NL East in 1994, with a link from MLB? >>

Yes I can; y - clinched division
  • Options
    MLB does not recognize a division champion for 1994.
  • Options
    MLB.com certainly does
  • Options

<< <i>MLB.com certainly does >>

MLB.com is a website. Major League Baseball, which happens to be the deciding voice in this, does not recognize division champs in 1994.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    14 straight division titles.

MLB didn't award division titles in 1994. MLB recognizes a 14 division title streak by the Braves.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25