Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New Display case finally full - New Edition

Guys, I finally got my display case full, and wanted to share some pictures with the board. I really like how it turned out. I got the helmet in KC at a Royals game last summer on a family trip. It's a game used Chris Getz helmet. It just so happens to be my exact size, and was in my price range, so I picked it up. The baseballs are game used from the 2 Rockies games I went to this summer with my son. I mainly want to fill up the display case with unopened and empty boxes, but don't have a place for the game used stuff, and thought it looked nice in the case. I would like to eventually get one unopened pack from each year of the 70's until present, in here, but that is a work in progress. Anyway, here are some pictures. Feel free to comment, or post pictures of your display cases as well. Thanks for taking a look.

New display - got it at IKEA

Empty boxes from 68 and 76 and a pack from each year. I collect a set from each decade, and try to get an unopened pack and the box from the same year if I can.

Some 89 score footall, 89 upper deck, 82 Topps, and a few others

70's graded packs.

Modern packs I've grabbed

game used KC helmet - Would like to get a display for it in the future, and replace with more unopened

80 and 89 topps boxes
I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
Collecting:
post world war II HOF rookie
76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman

Comments

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picture images didn't work. Let's try this again. This seems to work

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    Empty 68 and 76 boxes with pack from those years.

Graded 70's packs. My goal is to get one from each year.

Some late 80's and 2000's packs

Game used ball and 80/89 boxes

A couple of Dale Murphy Racks (my favorite player growing up) and the Getz helmet

Collecting:
  • That is one fine looking display case! Love the assorted packs and boxes from various years. Nice setup.
    I collect vintage PSA graded SF Giants, Willie Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal and Perry. And modern players like Buster Posey, Will Clark and Barry Bonds.

youtube acct
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    How much was the case? Looks sharp.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sweet setup!

On behalf of every man in the world, I'm sorry you had to go to ikea. When my wife drags me there we never get out in less than 2 or 3 hours.
  • Looks really nice!! Is there any significance in placing the 1980 box next to the 1990 box?
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Looks Great! Really has that card shop feel.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    awesome!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fantastic. I like it a lot. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    very cool--got me thinking------
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Jeff,

Awesome job putting that together!!! I bet you rearranged those shelves at least a dozen times to get it just right. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Awesome image
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the display. I love the unopened packs from the 80's and 90's!! Really takes me back to being a kid.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jeremy
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice job Jeff.

I've been procrastinating for years getting some kind of display thing like that.
    Mike

<< <i>Very nice job Jeff.

I've been procrastinating for decades getting some kind of display thing like that. >>

I fixed it for ya Mike. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Awesome!!
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great display! Thanks for sharing, I just sent the IKEA link to my wife, found my Christmas present!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
    Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments. I am happy with the setup. Of course I have been fidgeting around with placing things, Mike ! To answer a few questions.

How much was the case? Looks sharp. Wasn't bad at all, I think like 140 bucks. One caveat with IKEA things is the directions not good, IMHO. They only put pictures, like hieroglyphics or something. I'm not sure why they can't mix in a few WORDS ! All in all though worth the headache for the price.

Looks really nice!! Is there any significance in placing the 1980 box next to the 1990 box? - No not really. The 80's boxes are partially in there for protection. As far as display, I would probably only display one, if if wasn't for that. The 90 box I like because Griffey was on the cover, and I remember buying a lot of those when I was a kid.

A couple of comments, really hit it on the head. A lot of the packs are nostalgic for me, and it does give a card shop feel to my basement with a few personal (special) pieces mixed in.
    Collecting:

<< <i>The 80's boxes are partially in there for protection. >>

Just don't put any lego figures in there or bad things may happen. Remember, glass can be broken if properly motivated.

I actually keep my unopened vault locked, first for the kids...now for those who shall remain nameless. image

Collecting:
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff.

I might need to do some updating with my displays too. Looks like some nice ideas here. I have bought IKEA and like them a lot for the price and I agree about the instructions.

aconte
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nicely displayed! I have been looking for options to display my boxes and packs. My wife will approve of something like this, because it is classy and comes from IKEA!

Your collection itself is very impressive too. Thanks for sharing.
  • Excellent!!!
    Thanks to Tim (Grote15) for the new addition to the collection, I had to rearrange my display. What do you guy's think ? In the display, or on the Murphy table ?

I haven't shown a picture of the updates in the display for a while. My wife got me a display for the Royals Helmet, so it is on a table by itself. The case is pretty full, but that's what is for, right ! I hope to not make it too cluttered looking.

Collecting:
  • This thread was new to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Really well done Jeff. We're buying a bigger house with a man cave space and I can't wait to get started!
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Nicely done. I would put the Murphy cellos with the other Murphy items.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Murphy table, but as the centerpiece.
    Very nice all around.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Beautiful display!! Well done!!!

Keep the updates...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Hey...

I have the same case from IKEA. The only problem with that case is that it has floral accents on the bottom that force me to put boxes over it - I see you did the same haha. Your case looks great - great layout!

My case is not currently out as I was doing some remodeling, but here is how it did look:

I sold half the stuff in there - so, it will look a lot different the next time I put it up.

- Joe
  • I'll take 36 packs of 1980 Topps for .25 cents please image
    Don't know how I missed this yesterday. Even though I'm all for the unopened shrine, I say that 1977 Murphy cello deserves a place of honor with his brothers at the big boy Murphy table. Congrats on the pickup Jeff!!! image

Collecting:
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that IKEA display case. Nearest IKEA to me is in Charlotte. I'm thinking a road trip is in my future.
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree on the Murphy cello! That's a beauty and deserves a special place of honor. I have a 1978 Murphy cello but would love to one day get my hands on a '77. Very nice displays all the way around. Methinks you have garnered some business for the Ikea franchises in the country. image
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
    Thanks guy's. Looks like it is on the table, in a landslide.

airjoedan - I love your display with all of the baseballs as well. Looks very clean. I agree on the floral pattern grate shelf on the bottom. Just a little too girly looking for a man cave, so you need to throw something on it. Perfect for holding boxes or sets or monster boxes. Then the cards are still right there at your disposal, and for showing to friends, and not buried away in the closet.

Too bad I don't get a kickback from IKEA ! Either way, I really enjoy sharing the collection with others and getting ideas on display. I am happy with it. The directions aren't the easiest to follow and I'm sure you could find a higher quality case, but I feel it is plenty nice enough for me and fits in with my other furniture, and best of all IKEA furniture doesn't break the bank.
    Collecting:
  • I love that 77 cello with Murphy on top!

very nice display and collection!