Home Precious Metals
Options

Selling on eBay Globally

I noticed something today when listing some items to sell on eBay that made me upset. eBay auto-fills the box for:
"Send it to the US shipping center, and the rest will be taken care of for you. Learn more"

If you DON'T want to sell Globally, you have to remember to uncheck this box each and every time for every listing even if you have your "excluding shipping locations portion of the listing filled out to your preferences.

eBay strikes again telling me what to do image Just thought I'd share this to save the aggravation if you do not want to ship Globally.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have "countries I ship to" set to US only and don't see your referenced message.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Selling internationally is a major challenge, on or off eBay. We've been doing it for several years and it took a year to figure out how to do it in a way that would work best, at least for us. We also have three employees that spend a major portion of their time just working on these orders. Biggest issues, by far the highest percentage of less than positive feedback come from shipping outside the U.S., second, higher percentage of fraud.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have "countries I ship to" set to US only and don't see your referenced message. >>

same here.

I do not ship to overseas addresses and that includes Canada & Mexico. As such, I have set up my parameters accordingly.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    could someone who has used Ebay's global US Shipping Center provide us with some feedback?

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Mine has that box checked each and every time I list an item. There is no way to have is set in my preferences for it to be defaulted as UNchecked that I have found. I have to remember to uncheck that box every listing. I have an eBay store, maybe this is related to having an eBay store? Do you guys have eBay stores or eBay accounts?

I have my shipping preferences to be only to the U.S., but that box is checked by default every time since the begining of this past week when I have listed stuff.
  • Options
    I have an ebay store. I do not use Turbo Lister.

Try this:
    from my ebay under account tab select "Site Preferences."
    from there select "show" for shipping preferences.
    then try to edit the "Offer the Global Shipping Program." I have "no" next to mine.

Reason I'm not seeing your problem is I never turned on "offer the global shipping program."

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    That was it derryb, thank you. I have no idea why mine said "yes", I never enabled that option, but I updated it and it says "no" now. That's a strange thing to happen and cost me having to ship to Canada twice before I caught it. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that when I use a previous auction as a template, my previous selling parameters are still in place for the new auction. It might be that you are doing the same thing, and are using a previous auction in which you hadn't yet discovered that the default setting was for global exposure.

If that's the case, just create a clean new auction and then use it as your template from now on.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I too use previous listing to sell "similar" item. New item doesn't have to be similar at all, just change as necessary. I like the way it prefills all my unchanging info.

My only complaint at the moment is that method of shipping selections do not include slow, registered mail. I have to choose first class or priority which will show (by default) a quicker estimated delivery date on the listing page. Sooner or later a buyer is going to hold this against me in his feedback, even though I do mention "slower, but more secure registered mail" in my description.

• Options

<< <i>That was it derryb, thank you. I have no idea why mine said "yes", I never enabled that option, but I updated it and it says "no" now. That's a strange thing to happen and cost me having to ship to Canada twice before I caught it. Thanks for your help. >>

you might review all of those preferences and find some neat stuff that you didn't know about.