Home Metal Detecting

So a metal detector was on the Broadstruck Jr's list to Santa... UPDATED

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
After going back and forth between the Garrett Ace 150 & 250 I placed an order for a Tesoro Compadre Metal Detector with 8" Coil. At 7 years old just felt the single knob beep and dig was the way to go instead of the whole lcd screen push buttons. Went with the larger waterproof coil as some of the youtube reviews mentioned it reads deeper and is better for sweeping. Also as I don't think we will be searching any trash lots. Not really sure if I made the perfect selection as this wasn't an easy purchase based on online comparison. Any feedback on the Compadre would be appreciated! image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not familiar with the Compadre.... I would have went with the 250 - seven year old kids are pretty sharp... I know some that are super on computers...however, I believe your choice will do fine since it could be just a temporary interest. If not, get ready for some larger expenditures. Did you also get the accessories? (Digging tool, probe etc) image Cheers, RickO
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I have the Tesoro Cibola and have about 15-18 hours hunting with it. So far so good. It rings strong on coins, although I've only found clad so far (not many places near me would yield pre-clad anyway). It's lightweight and easy to swing. From what I can tell, it is a bit more advanced than the Compadre and also includes discrimination. I almost got the Compadre because I heard so many good things about it, but I wanted the discrimination option. If you look around on Treasurenet.com, you will find many Compadre fans, especially in their brand-specific forums.

Happy hunting to your young treasure seeker! image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not familiar with the Compadre.... I would have went with the 250 - seven year old kids are pretty sharp... I know some that are super on computers...however, I believe your choice will do fine since it could be just a temporary interest. If not, get ready for some larger expenditures. Did you also get the accessories? (Digging tool, probe etc) image Cheers, RickO >>

I'm fine on the dig tools but the probe will have to be a down the line purchase if he really takes to it.

<< <i>I have the Tesoro Cibola and have about 15-18 hours hunting with it. So far so good. It rings strong on coins, although I've only found clad so far (not many places near me would yield pre-clad anyway). It's lightweight and easy to swing. From what I can tell, it is a bit more advanced than the Compadre and also includes discrimination. I almost got the Compadre because I heard so many good things about it, but I wanted the discrimination option. If you look around on Treasurenet.com, you will find many Compadre fans, especially in their brand-specific forums.

Happy hunting to your young treasure seeker! image >>

There's not a lot of online reviews but I did notice a huge Compadre following on the medal detector forums.

So I too am excited to see how it performs?
    Yep...understandable.... but it sure does make it easier to locate the target....Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the time a probe will cut recovery time in half and cause less mess.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Using a probe to check the dirt is half of the fun for the young ones.

Good idea on Tesoro. My son is 10 and he has a hard time swinging the Ace 250. The weight makes it cumbersome for kids.

<< <i>Using a probe to check the dirt is half of the fun for the young ones.

Good idea on Tesoro. My son is 10 and he has a hard time swinging the Ace 250. The weight makes it cumbersome for kids. >>

So true as when it comes to any sort of planting while gardening he's right there with his tools to dig all the holes.

The Compardre arrived two days ago and is definitely a featherweight contender.
    Let us know how the first hunt goes.... should be fun... Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Let us know how the first hunt goes.... should be fun... Cheers, RickO >>

I will as I'm pretty excited too! image
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I will as I'm pretty excited too! image >>

Do you have a location lined up yet for the first hunt?!?

<< <i>

<< <i>

I will as I'm pretty excited too! image >>

Do you have a location lined up yet for the first hunt?!? >>

Yeah the back yard on Xmas morning image
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah the back yard on Xmas morning image >>

You should consider seeding the yard with a few easy to find coins to give the kid a thrill.

<< <i>You should consider seeding the yard with a few easy to find coins to give the kid a thrill. >>

That's my intention and there's also a few MIA plastic Easter eggs from previous hunts out there with change in them that he and my lawnmower have never found.
    Well the Tesoro Compadre was a hit as he loves it... It's well built and light enough for him to sweep with ease.

I'll have to move the arm support up for him which requires a small socket set.

We found 1/2 the Kennedy's I seeded in the yard before the ground froze... It was just too cold for him today to continue.
    Outstanding..... glad he (and you) had fun....and believe me, there is a lot more fun to come..... Cheers, RickO
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Outstanding..... glad he (and you) had fun....and believe me, there is a lot more fun to come..... Cheers, RickO >>

Ditto, nice job.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Great to hear! image
    We ventured out yesterday as it was the first day the ground wasn't frozen since my last post. Our finds were 3 more of the seeded clad Kennedy 50c, a flattened Coke and Budweiser can, a piece of steel mesh wire fence from the 1950's, a piece of steel rebar with concrete still attached. With no cans of gold to be found and as it started getting cold Broadstruck Jr. got bored and started aiming the Compadre into the sky to see if a over passing airplane would trigger a signal? Then finally as we were ready to call it quits we got a signal for the first legitimate coin find located in crab grass which was hard for my son to dig through with a hand shovel. After combing through the soil we discovered a 1980-D Lincoln cent and although not much of a find I too was just as excited as the kiddo!

OK... and so it begins...next take him to a local park and find some silver... Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So there will be a bit more clad, then the first Wheatie. Then after a few Wheaties, the first silver. Probability sez that will be a Merc from the 1940s, though my first silver as a detector-swingin' kid was a dateless SLQ. You never know, and that's the joy of it. Who knows, if ol' Dad is present when that first silver pops out, he might get hooked, himself? image

Of course you'll wanna take him to places where probability favor the finding of Wheaties, silver, and IHCs. Not just modern playgrounds and such.

But at age 7, just finding some grubby clad quarters can be fun.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Think about places you used to play as a kid....likely all different now. I have a spot I will check out one day... used to be a major sledding hill - now totally overgrown with trees etc.. Likely a lot of old silver to be found there. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Think about places you used to play as a kid....likely all different now. I have a spot I will check out one day... used to be a major sledding hill - now totally overgrown with trees etc.. Likely a lot of old silver to be found there. Cheers, RickO >>

ricko, Thanks but sadly I'm not that old as I was born in the Clad era imageimage

<< <i>So there will be a bit more clad, then the first Wheatie. Then after a few Wheaties, the first silver. Probability sez that will be a Merc from the 1940s, though my first silver as a detector-swingin' kid was a dateless SLQ. You never know, and that's the joy of it. Who knows, if ol' Dad is present when that first silver pops out, he might get hooked, himself? image

Of course you'll wanna take him to places where probability favor the finding of Wheaties, silver, and IHCs. Not just modern playgrounds and such.

But at age 7, just finding some grubby clad quarters can be fun. >>

Yeah next weekend we are gonna hit some open areas with a bit more history.

Hopefully I'll be able to find something cool to post? image
    We look forward to your report.... and the finds do not have to be 'cool'... even cents will be exciting for the youngster (and maybe you too). And, you never know, could find old silver or a gold ring.... WOOO HOOOO!!! image Cheers, RickO