Home U.S. Coin Forum

1911 D? Quarter Eagle

s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/rgs300/media/4528da63-267e-4770-a27f-a491a0f10bbf_zpsb1ffb1d6.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Sold on eBay last night for $293. Am I the only one who sees the D? I bid it up to $288, then forgot to come back at the
end of the auction and I got outbid by $5. I think it was worth a shot. The seller is a pro with over 10,000 feedbacks, so
hard to believe he would miss the D. (if it is a D)

Comments

• I do not see a D
  • i see it but it could just be an illusion on the pic. only way to tell for sure is if you had it in hand. Also the mint mark would be too small
    Successful business with: savoyspecial,Cazkaboom,stone,Brol,robkool,nibanny,AUandAG,mdkuom,REALGATOR,jimineez1,theump, indeetlib,mariner67,PlatinumDuck,nags,tlake22,guitarwes

My Ebay Store
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post the obverse pic? Most genuine 1911-D quarter eagles have two diagnostics---scalloping on the reverse at 12:00 from the die hitting the edge of the reeded collar and a wire rim on the obverse from about 12:00 to about 5:00 from the die being slightly misaligned. I don't see this diagnostic in your pic.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mm on a lot of these is very light and could possibly be invisible in a photo.image
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taken directly from the PCGS coin grading and counterfit detection book.

"Only two dies were used and most of the survivors are from one die combination that offers an infallible diagnostic. The diagnostic is not the wire on the obverse as not all genuine pieces show this characteristic. Rather, it is a short raised vertical die polish line in the recess just to the left of the arrowheads".

Impossible to say for sure but it may be there in the blown up pic.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not see a D
    image >>

i dont see it either.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see a D.... nor the diagnostic mentioned by coinbuf.... Cheers, RickO
  • I do see a D.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I see the D in DOLLAR, but not a mint mark D.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if there is a D there...it's in the wrong place and it's really weak. pass.
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭
    That is not a mint mark and is not uncommon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file