Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Late Night Rips: Next up~1976 Topps baseball rack pack!

Picked up a couple of worn and tattered rack packs recently--one from 1978 and one from 1976. I'm going to rip the 78 rack first--hopefully the mice that ate around the cello wrapping didn't get to the cards! LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    The gallery is waiting with great anticipation!!image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First up for the chopping block!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    metsmets Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Very nice good luck Tim. Hopefully you can catch some 10's to help out Hatch image
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Tim.

I'm getting sleepy so I don't think I'll make the rip but looking forward to checking the thread out in the morning!

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck, Tim! >>

Thanks, Bob!

Well, that rack was a total bust~one dinged Thurman Munson and all cards in far section were warped. Nothing worth scanning~I think the Bombo Rivera card actually had a fang mark from the rat that nibbled on it! Good thing it was only $20. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to wash off the rat poison I probably have on my hands now and move on to some nicer stock--some box fresh 78 and 82 OPC baseball!

• Options
    Next up: the exact opposite in condition of the 78 rack~pristine 82 OPC wax! I am going to keep 1 of these for my PC and rip the rest. This set from what I've heard is a beast on centering, and has more than a couple very low pop 10s of key HOFers!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked up a couple of worn and tattered rack packs recently--one from 1978 and one from 1976. I'm going to rip the 78 rack first--hopefully the mice that ate around the cello wrapping didn't get to the cards! LOL! >>

Lol on the rats.

Where did you find the 78 for $20????? Bust that 76.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Those packs looks nice and crisp!
  • Options
    The 82 OPC packs were really clean. I opened just 3 of them and am saving the other 2 for my unopened collection for now. Like these a lot better than Topps~better stock and color, imo. Also like how the poster in each pack protects top card from gum stain. I pulled several really sharp commons and HOFers in this group of packs. Love the rough cut on the Brett! No sheet cuts here, LOL! The Reggie looks very nice! Pulled the Ryan but wish it were better centered.

• Options
    Next up: 1978 OPC!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Tim

I'm watching.

Does the 78OPC have a Molly RC?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hiya Tim

I'm watching.

Does the 78OPC have a Molly RC? >>

Hi Mike! image

No, no Molly RC. Just opened 4 packs--no Murray, but did pull another Ryan and some nice mint commons. Cuts on these cards from a couple of packs were smoother than usual. Really nice cards but centering is frustrating on these~scans coming up!

• Options
    The Ryan is nice but right corner is dinged. image

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hiya Tim

I'm watching.

Does the 78OPC have a Molly RC? >>

Hi Mike! image

No, no Molly RC. Just opened 4 packs--no Murray, but did pull another Ryan and some nice mint commons. Cuts on these cards from a couple of packs were smoother than usual. Really nice cards but centering is frustrating on these~scans coming up! >>

Didn't think so.

You've opened up some "tough" stuff.

Thanx for the entertainment. I'm watching a recording of X Factor - they're about to eliminate someone. Take care.
    Mike
  • Options

how does that freying on the jackson affect grade ?
  • Options
    Some mint fresh 78 commons...as a Met fan, the nicely centered Kranepool was an enjoyable pull!

• Options

<< <i>how does that freying on the jackson affect grade ? >>

PSA does not downgrade for OPC rough cut.

• Options
    WhT posters come In the 82s?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    The Count and a very nice Munson~was happy to pull this one..

• Options

<< <i>WhT posters come In the 82s? >>

Terry Francona, Damaso Garcia and Steve Rogers.

• Options
    Will crack the 76 rack tomorrow! image

• Options

<< <i>

PSA does not downgrade for OPC rough cut. >>

do they for topps from the same era ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

PSA does not downgrade for OPC rough cut. >>

do they for topps from the same era ? >>

In my experience, they are not as lenient for Topps rough cuts, though it depends on the grader--I once has a 1972 Topps card with a rough top edge grade PSA 10. OPC cards from this era routinely exhibit rough edges out of the pack due to the airplane wire they used in the factory to cut the sheets, so imo (as there is definitely differing opinions on this topic), you want to see an OPC card from this era with a rougher cut in the holder, as many that are smooth all the way around are sheet cut.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Very nice Munson.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>Hi, Very nice Munson. >>

Thanks! This is the best one I've pulled in many tries. It's a tough card to find decently centered.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Tim, when you have a chance, could you please post a pic of the francona poster???? He's my all-time favorite red sox manager (with john farrell being a close second, of course!!) and I've never seen one of those posters before; thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Good luck on the '76 pack, Grote!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Nice pulls Tim. That Munson looks great.

Very nice read early in the morning. Wish I were still sleeping but my son had other ideas for me.

Good luck in the 76 tonight.

T
  • Options
    Tim, I love your tip results on the OPC packs!!

The 82 Brett IA and the 1978 Seaver are my favorites!!
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Tim,

Nice Seaver and Munson pulls - well done.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff. Thanks for sharing the rip.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    No comment. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>No comment. image >>

I hear you Mike. I've just given up with Tim when it comes to rip pin unopened. He just can't be talked out of it so why not enjoy the ride.

T
  • Options
    Thanks again for all the kind words, fellas!

<< <i>

I hear you Mike. I've just given up with Tim when it comes to rip pin unopened. He just can't be talked out of it so why not enjoy the ride.

T >>

Mike, don't worry, it's only OPC! (Well, at least until late today when the '76 rack goes under the knife.) image

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your rips. You got some very nice cards.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the 76 pack!
  • Options
    Nice Munson and Brett.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

<< <i>Tim, when you have a chance, could you please post a pic of the francona poster???? He's my all-time favorite red sox manager (with john farrell being a close second, of course!!) and I've never seen one of those posters before; thanks in advance!! >>

Here you go, David! Unfortunately, the gum fused to the poster on the other side, LOL.

• Options

<< <i>Thanks again for all the kind words, fellas!

<< <i>

T >>

Mike, don't worry, it's only OPC! (Well, at least until late today when the '76 rack goes under the knife.) image >>

What about the 1978 rack pack you ripped???

Tony, I've given up on Tim too. He has officially had his unopened club card revoked. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks again for all the kind words, fellas!

<< <i>

T >>

Mike, don't worry, it's only OPC! (Well, at least until late today when the '76 rack goes under the knife.) image >>

What about the 1978 rack pack you ripped???

Tony, I've given up on Tim too. He has officially had his unopened club card revoked. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Tim ... Mike must be REALLY pissed ... he posted the SAME MESSAGE 4 minutes after the first time he posted! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Tim ... Mike must be REALLY pissed ... he posted the SAME MESSAGE 4 minutes after the first time he posted! LOL >>

LOL!! You'd think I told him the Rangers suck or something!

• Options

<< <i>Tim ... Mike must be REALLY pissed ... he posted the SAME MESSAGE 4 minutes after the first time he posted! LOL >>

Darn double post. Screw you Bill Gates!!!

Collecting:
  • Options
    Tonight's victim! image

• Options

<< <i>

LOL!! You'd think I told him the Rangers suck or something! >>

Shouldn't you be ripping something??? image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a nice Brett?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    cant wait to see the results of this one! a mint brett sure would be nice!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>You'd think I told him the Rangers suck or something! >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    OK, here goes...here are the results of the right section with Bradford on top, furthest from the header card, which exhibited the most soiling. I was pleasantly surprised, however, when unlike the cards in the 78 rack, I found the cards in this section to be very well preserved with actually above average color and registration. As expected, there were a total of 14 cards in this section. I remember the Babe Ruth Sporting News card as a kid, and always thinking that was a great card to have, lol, so it was great to pull one from this rack. Centering was pretty good, and the Maddox and Lowenstein cards looked really sharp. Also pulled a nice looking 2nd year Hernandez. Very pleased overall with the quality of the cards in this rack considering the condition of the rack itself. Unlike the racks in 78, 76 racks had a much thicker cello wrapping, which did a much better job protecting the cards within. On to the middle section!~