Home Precious Metals

Engelhard Hallmarks set

I see there are a few on eBay priced little less than $1800 each...
I remember I was close to get one a couple of years ago for less then 500 bucks. image

What is a reasonable price for this set?

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

Comments

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 1000 - 1200 is a reasonable price for this set.

Couple years ago I saw quite a few going for 900 - 1200 depending on the condition.

Very nice set, as I enjoy mine thoroughly.

Cheers

It's all about what the people want...

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion $900 to $1100 is realistic. This assumes the case is in good shape and no rough handling of the bars. If the booklet is still with the set it is worth bidding a bit higher.

$1800 in my opinion is too optimistic on the seller's part.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melt is currently about $260. I'd be a buyer near $300. I guess that means I will never own a set of these. Oh well!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    $800 to $1100

perhaps $1250 if the case was in top shape with no scratches, many of these are missing the cover or have some sort of issue.

Baley, i am surprised you dont find these bars at least somewhat interesting enough to pay a premium for them, they are not a stacker's cup of tea but for a collector of coins who does a little stacking these are just super cool bars!

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    Its kinda cool Matteo, but, you could almost own a 100oz silver bar for that priceimage
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat set, but I'm afraid that I agree with Baley on this one. Personal preference and nothing against bar collectors intended.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Neat set, but I'm afraid that I agree with Baley on this one. Personal preference and nothing against bar collectors intended. >>

ditto

Loves me some shiny!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its kinda cool Matteo, but, you could almost own a 100oz silver bar for that priceimage >>

Good point. I'd rather have the 100 oz bar even if it costs a little more. The collector premium may disappear some day but a silver bar will always be worth its melt value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• I agree that the set is not worth $1800, as I said I was close to get one in the $500 range a while back (and silver was higher).
    Though, I think it is a very cool set and would love to own one, even if it comes with a high premium.

This is not a bullion investment, it is something cool like a numismatic piece, in my opinion.
    The premium may or may not disappear, nobody knows...(compare to two years ago the premium seems to be higher)
    We all buy dragons, poured bars and coins with no guaranteed profit.
    It's the fun part of "stacking" something which also looks beautiful.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Neat set, but I'm afraid that I agree with Baley on this one. Personal preference and nothing against bar collectors intended. >>

+1

Just unattractive clumps of silver to me.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    If you had bought a set like this a while ago you would have made money, if you had bought a 100 oz bar recently you probably lost money.

Im not saying this is a good long term investment and i wouldnt invest in them at this price but I wouldnt be shocked if this set one day surpasses de value of a 100 oz bar.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

+1

Just unattractive clumps of silver to me. >>

Engelhard Industries has a great depth of history, and a set such as this is perhaps as classy as it gets.

I wouldn't be surprised if these were given to some of the most important people in and around the company.

It's all about what the people want...