Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can someone help with two identifications.

I decided I needed a new hobby. I have always liked coins since I was young. So, here I am. I haven't had too much trouble identifying any of the coins I have gotten, till now. I believe one may be a Conrad the Pacific era, though being new to identifying, it could be from Disney Land. The other, I have no idea.

Any help with identifying would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. image

Your answers will be posted very soon by experts on both coins. Out of the top of my head, the second looks early Indian, or Afghanistan, but I'm probably wrong. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The first one appears to be a medieval France silver denier, but it's a little too worn for me to identify it better.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second coin is Islamic, a silver akche from an obscure Turkish dynasty known as the Jandar, or Isfendiyarids. They ruled a semi-independent principality in what is now northern Turkey from roughly 1301 to 1460. This example on zeno.ru is very much like yours, except the text on the reverse of your coin is backwards; either your photo has been mirror-flipped or the die used to make your coin was cut backwards. Your coin does not bear a name or date but has been somewhat conjecturally dated in Album's revision of the Marsden catalogue to the reign of prince 'Adil, roughly AD 1345.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Thank you for the help. I was lost on the second one. Excited that I at least had the country right on the first.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I am amazed with the depth of knowledge around here. Nice work Sapyx.

TirNaNog - welcome to the forum. I like your icon. Does it have any special meaning?
  • Options
    I have always been fascinated with Irish lore/mythology. Thought the Celtic symbol would go with the name. After all, who wouldn't really want to live in the Land of Eternal Youth?