Home Precious Metals
Options

Roll call... Prices and availability of PM's ....chime in here!

Okay...what I'm looking at here is what you have available locally (BST OR OTHER) or best online prices for the following items. Second question is are you a buyer at those prices? I going out on a limb and say for most here the spread from spot to sell/ buy price keeps you from buying.. That said lets here the roll call. Fell free to add other items to the list.

1. One ounce AGE.
2. One ounce gold other brand/ country.
3. One ounce ASE
4. One ounce generic silver round or bar.
5. Ten ounce silver bar.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm only doing some tidying up, and some minor collecting at the moment so I don't know what the bullion spreads are doing. I'd be interested to know!

However, I can tell you that most of the bullion-related Moderns that I track on ebay have continued to back off quite a bit from previous high prices. It looks like a few of the more recent issues are still holding some gains, but even most of the relatively good stuff is still dropping or drifting lower.

This isn't a bad time to do some collecting, if you're into that sort of thing.

Regarding "normal bullion" items, my opinion is that now is a fairly neutral time. I continue to think that cash management is at least as important as stacking right now. It doesn't do as much good to stack, only to be pushed into unstacking a short time later.

If you have spare income, then by all means - rescue some of those fiat dollars from the horrible fate of dollar devaluation that we all know is coming, (but keep some of them liquid too). If you don't have spare income, make sure you allocate your budget to the more important priorities. Common sense stuff.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep my buying to AGE/ASE's.. and lately have focused on ASE's...many available at bargain (melt) prices....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be a buyer of some ASEs around $450 a roll delivered. The premium seems to be about $3.50 over spot and probably not dropping.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I usually see all of the items on your list at a local coin show held twice a month. I generally only buy gold when it's a tenth of an ounce, proof, slabbed, and selling for $10-15 above melt. As for SAEs, I buy when the price is right, e.g. at last show one dealer had eight for $23 each, so I bought all of them. I tend to stay away from the 10 ounce bars, because they tend to be tougher to resell.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I'd like to buy some BU ASEs for around $450/roll delivered as well but it seems everyone still wants $500/roll so I'm holding off.
    successful transactions with: vpr, robman, piecesofme, metalsman, gdavis70, agentjim007, ranshdow and more to come!
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to buy some BU ASEs for around $450/roll delivered as well but it seems everyone still wants $500/roll so I'm holding off. >>

I agree..I don't see any ASE's in quantity below $3.50 over...I'd like to know where Ricko is buying ASE's at melt!... Hmmmm.

image also I'd add I doubt the premium to melt/spot will drop any lower with sub $20. Spot. Still. Unless anyone has a crystal ball.... There will always be a premium and hence the reluctance to buy at $$ over spot.... Seems to be the norm at least here on the BST...JMHO.
  • Options
    GoldMart has ASE at $2.99 over spot. $22.98 each as I type this.
    Plus shipping.

10 oz silver bars also available at $0.79 or $0.89 over spot.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GoldMart has ASE at $2.99 over spot. $22.98 each as I type this.
    Plus shipping.

10 oz silver bars also available at $0.79 or $0.89 over spot. >>

Yep, GoldMart looks very good. ASE on GoldMart
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>GoldMart has ASE at $2.99 over spot. $22.98 each as I type this.
    Plus shipping.

10 oz silver bars also available at $0.79 or $0.89 over spot. >>

those seem to be some low prices.... thats still $459. plus $8.95 shipping on a roll of ASE's which is roughly $468. and as stated above more than at least 2 here are willing to pay? I personally think the 10 ounce prices are pretty good!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shop across town has plenty

10 oz bars 299.00 Buy price is around 12 oz (honeslty)
    eagles 34.99
    Generic silver 25.99
    90% 20x face

jim

I and my old shop (in which I place things for sale in) Have none of the following, but If I did this is what it would be priced at:

10 oz bars 225.00
    eagles 23.50
    generic rounds spot +1.00
    90% 15x

as far as gold, don't have any, but it doesn't sell anyway, so I take it up the road and sell it to another national dealer at: eagles spot + 10
    generic spot.

Actually just delivered 40 face at 15x this am
    My buy price is spot minus 2 bucks, eagles spot to spot -1.00
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silver and gold bullion are available all day long from many venues at very near spot, if you don't care much what form the metal is in, and buy in quantity.

If someone is looking for specific collectible PM items, then they of course have to shop and compete and pay what supply and demand for those particular collectibles dictate.

One should probably be careful about confusing "the premium for physical" with "the premium for collectible", as well as confusing the high premium cost of one little piece of metal indivdually packaged and handled versus the wholesale bulk rate for a significant quantity.

For example, what is the price and availability of coffee? Well, that depends if you're buying a ton of beans, or a cup at a restaurant, doesn't it?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One should probably be careful about confusing "the premium for physical" with "the premium for collectible", as well as confusing the high premium cost of one little piece of metal indivdually packaged and handled versus the wholesale bulk rate for a significant quantity. >>

Collectible bullion and coins have a "price" that is set for each item by the market, normally based on rarity/mintage/and yes, the label. The market knows its minimum value based on it's PM content. This difference between metal content and market price can be referred to as a premium, but unlike physical bullion this difference between spot and asking price normally does not fluctuate with spot price changes, it changes with item demand. The price of the collectible item normally remains constant.

Physical, non-collectible bullion carries a "premium" over the base, paper market spot price. This is what is normally added to the base (spot) price to set the item price. Paper futures market sets the base price and the bullion market sets the additional premium. Demand for the specific type of bullon will increase or decrease its premium. "Premiums" for bullion will normally remain constant while the price of the bullion will fluctuate with changes in the paper market spot price. Changing bullion prices are a result of changing spot prices, not because of changing premiums. Normally a quantity discount is offered on physical bullion which in effect lowers the premium on each of the purchased items.

Evidence of this difference in pricing between the two can be easily demonstrated by watching prices of the two type of items on the website of a major dealer. The bullion pieces will change in prices automatically as spot price rises and falls while the collectible pieces will normally not change in price strictly because of spot price changes. Changes in demand are usually the culprit for price changes with collectible PMs. Changes in demand for specific bullion will affect the premium charged for that type of bullion. It is noteworthy that premiums for bullion, especially silver, have slowly crept up over that last few years, most likely the result of a perception by sellers that the paper market is underpricing the particular metal. This is supported by the lack of premium drop in the face of a drop in spot price trend.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt