Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

#1 PCGS-Graded, Colorfully-Toned Proof Lincoln Collection?

Is it possible that this is the #1 PCGS-Graded, Colorfully-Toned Proof Lincoln Collection known to exist?

I know that it's not #1 in terms of grade or registry points ... but finding this many colorful Lincoln Proofs that PCGS will grade must be some sort of feat. I admit that a few of my examples, are just marginally toned (slightly discolored from bright copper), and I would like to find better examples for those years. But there are some real monsters in here too.

I put the PCGS grade underneath each coin, along with my purchase price (just for some interesting cost information). Yes, I know I overpaid for some! (What can I say, I wanted it.)
Note that all the coin images are resized TrueView photos, shot by Phil Arnold.

Kind of amazing when you think that this set spans 105 years of Lincoln Cent Proof production.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice collection.... Where are '43-'49?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the 1943-1949 Lincoln Proofs stored with my 1917-1935 Lincoln Proofs in my sock drawer image
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set. Do some collectors over value color? I paid $18 for my PCGS PR65 Red 1960 Small Date, from one of the best dealers around.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome WL, the 1914 is still my favorite.......image
  • Options
    Yes, I definitely overpaid for some of these coins! I admit that. Some others were incredible bargains.
    If you like color (like I do), i tend to pay up only because some of these dates are very difficult to find toned and gradeable.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    The 2012s looks amazing!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for your thread title, I probably would not try to argue with you. image It's an amazing set. Once you get past the MPLs there are many real bargains in there. I appreciate seeing the prices paid, that's cool so that it gives a real sense of what it took to assemble the set...including the bargains. For many of the coins you have invested way more time into shipping/insurance/grading/TV etc than you paid for the coin, that's for sure. You have done very well. The set is quite impressive!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I recognize one of those coins image And it's great to see it amongst some of the best Lincoln proof toners around!

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! The Matte proofs are my favorite!
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A truly beautiful collection.
  • Options
    What a wonderful collection and display!! I too recognize a nice coin that I used to have. image
  • Options
    Cool hearing from some previous owners

If you used to own one, post which one and maybe when you owned it and how much you bought and sold it for. I bet it was less than what I paid! LOL.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is Sweetimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    It's funny, but with this collection spanning 105 years, the full sized coin boards go on for too long to get an overview in one screen. So I tried to shrink the boards down into a single image. It's cool seeing more of the coins all at once (and all the color, in a single view), but it's hard to see any detail at this scale.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    COOL RUNNINGS!

Nic e to see you posting your stuff again!
  • Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection!
    If I have to pick one as a favorite, the '14 matte proof get my vote
  • Options

<< <i>Nice collection!
    If I have to pick one as a favorite, the '14 matte proof get my vote >>

I guess that means you have refined taste ... at $4,312, that was my most expensive one.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>#1 PCGS-Graded, Colorfully-Toned Proof Lincoln Collection? >>

It's the top set I've seen photos of image

The PCGS Registry doesn't have an easy way to do this so it's really up to the collector to assemble and display the photos themselves now.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Awesome collection......

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a VERY appealing set! Nice job!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice collection!
    If I have to pick one as a favorite, the '14 matte proof get my vote >>

I guess that means you have refined taste ... at $4,312, that was my most expensive one. >>

Yes it is expensive for a reason image
    It has monster toned evenly on both obv & rev, and on matte proof to boot
    Nicely done! Now the '09 VDB slot is waiting to be filled, I am sure you will find it eventually. Until then, that '14 is the most expensive one image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work so far! The '88 and the '89 have a killer look.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice work so far! The '88 and the '89 have a killer look. >>

Those two coins were cracked out of sealed proof sets (by me) -- and as I recall they came from two different sellers in different states (but I need to check my records). It's interesting that they both have such similar color.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice Set.

Your buy list looks like mine for error coins, some great deals and some nuke bids that were hit. I won a nuke bid yesterday for a coin that went for three time that I thought it would go for. Still going over that one in my head but it sure is a unique coin and I think I'm glad I won it image

I also wonder sometimes if I have the most complete (not expensive) U S Mint error type set (not all PCGS tho and would be extremely expensive to do so) around.
  • Options
    A truly spectacular set. Love 'em. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You deserve to be a proud Papa of that set - its fantastic!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>It is a shame that the RB and BN 's are not included in CoinFacts........only for the SMS coinsimage >>

Yes, CoinFacts showed poor judgement on that decision (IMHO) ... For Proof Lincolns, there are no BN's or RB's shown/displayed past about 1953. But then they suddenly started listing them again starting in 2012 on. Bizarre.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a area of collecting that has never interested me; however, that set is simply fantastic! As collections go, it's not very pricey, but it certainly is a one-of-a kind set which undoubtedly required hours and hours of effort. Great job and thank you for sharing.

Tom

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Paul,
    This is an AMAZING COLORFUL set of Lincoln proof coins. People can see it as #10 in the Lincoln cent basic proof Set Registry (1909 to Present)
    here.

You have great technical skill in providing us the chance to see your coins using "holders" which enhance the presentation even more than what PCGS provides with the Set Registry format. Please continue to update this amazing set and let us watch as it grows to completion as a complete Lincoln cent basic proof set. When completed, I believe it will be worth significantly more that the grade point average would indicate. Good luck Paul.

Steveimage
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on acquiring and displaying a fantastic collection of some beautiful coins.

In addition to being a devoted collector of toned proof and SMS Lincolns, you also are very skilled at creating great displays of your collection to share with others.

I really like seeing the photos of the coins displayed in a manner that mimics what you see with raw coins in a Capital style holder. It makes for a great presentation that, to be honest, is much more attractive than a looking at the actual coins sitting in their plastic slabs (TPG slabs take up too much space with plastic, labels and holograms).

Your collection of toned proof and SMS Lincolns illustrates that the content of a "coin collection" is limited only by human imagination. A coin collection can be main stream and collected by large numbers of hobbyists, or it can be obscure, estoric and collected by a single collector. An eye appealing, attractive and interesting collection can be made by anyone who puts in the time and effort to do so. Such a collection (such as yours) can be appreciated by other hobbyists, even if it is not in their area of interest.
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations on acquiring and displaying a fantastic collection of some beautiful coins.

In addition to being a devoted collector of toned proof and SMS Lincolns, you also are very skilled at creating great displays of your collection to share with others.

I really like seeing the photos of the coins displayed in a manner that mimics what you see with raw coins in a Capital style holder. It makes for a great presentation that, to be honest, is much more attractive than a looking at the actual coins sitting in their plastic slabs (TPG slabs take up too much space with plastic, labels and holograms).

Your collection of toned proof and SMS Lincolns illustrates that the content of a "coin collection" is limited only by human imagination. A coin collection can be main stream and collected by large numbers of hobbyists, or it can be obscure, estoric and collected by a single collector. An eye appealing, attractive and interesting collection can be made by anyone who puts in the time and effort to do so. Such a collection (such as yours) can be appreciated by other hobbyists, even if it is not in their area of interest. >>

This is a great comment! Thanks

I think what makes this all "fly" is Phil Arnolds fantastic "out of the slab" TrueView Photography. Most toned coins cannot be captured fully through the slab plastic as glare gets in the way. So in a way, when you look at these coinboards that I whip up in Photoshop, you are seeing all the coins "basically" raw ... as if they were pushed into a cardboard folder and then optimally lighted and viewed. It's a pretty amazing photographic and imaging process when you think about it.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning collection. Thanks for posting.

When you put them all on one pic it looks like a Lite-Brite screen. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is almost as fun to have a virtual coin collection that you can look at, admire and show off at any time, anywhere than it is to have a similar real coin collection (that you have to store, take care of, spend money on and worry about).

All of the benefit and none of the burden.
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    great collection and nice display !
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to find a favorite in the set....how about all of the above!!!!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Awesome collection. Like everyone else, I really like the matte proofs. However, I think many of your other choices are sublime. For example, the 70 proof is very common with bulls-eye or target toning. Finding a lavender toner is far more challenging. I also love the look of the 66 and 67, which are tough to find with any toning. I love the satin 36. I'd like to see that 55 in hand. Thanks for sharing.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is one of my favorites…
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the collection Winged. I like the dedication to the series and it would be hard to find fault in any choices you have made. You have set your own parameters and are obviously guided by those laws.

If my heart had a hole that a coin could fill, your 1914 would do it. Numismatic crack that leaves one strung out and hunting for that feeling again. Coins like that don't need to be in a "set" as proper company is just too hard to come by. Thank you for sharing your collection, I'm glad coins like this are able to be seen and not hidden away.
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice comments!

Some new monsters that I bought from KLRC. All freshly graded and photographed by Phil @ PCGS TrueView. All of these were cracked out of (seemingly) unopened OGP proof sets.

Top one graded PR68RB
    Bottom two graded PR69RB. (I think these are only the 3rd and 4th known PR69RB's in the Proof Lincoln series. There are no known PR70RB's).

• Options
    There is one unregistered set that is better but this a close second send me a PM and I'll tell you who owns the #1 set. I know one person on this board has the number 3 set behind yours as well.
  • Options
    PM Sent! Curious to see those sets. Love this sort of eye candy.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set
  • Options
    LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Very nice thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love those new pickups. You already know I'm crazy about your set and the way they are presented. image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Paul,
    I love the way you have chosen to display this fantastic collection, first in your "holders" and then in the OFFICIAL PCGS Set Registry of Lincoln cent proof coins (basic) 1909 to present. I also like the fact that you have chosen NOT to include pictures in the Set Registry of those modern proofs that are actually just DCAMS and will (hopefully) be replaced by "colorful" versions of the same date in the future. You have a unique collection and it is a credit to you that you have chosen to display it and share it with other collectors here. Thank you.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best one I have seen... Great looking set!

ABimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file