Home Precious Metals
Options

For those of you that think FAKES are hurting the sales of LEGIT bars

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is he trying to hide the serial number or some defect with that buffalo nickel?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nickel may be there to hide the serial number. One of the other photos, albeit at an oblique angle, seems to show an undamaged serial number.

I believe the fakes are injecting a certain caution that was never imagined just a year ago. In some instances I have seen that caution lead to lower than expected final prices. Some "iffy" looking bars have proven legitimate when examined in hand.

The subject bar is an especially scarce 5 oz variety I have only seen offered once before. When the "right" bars come along knowledgable collectors will bid strongly.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the fakes are injecting a certain caution that was never imagined just a year ago. In some instances I have seen that caution lead to lower than expected final prices. Some "iffy" looking bars have proven legitimate when examined in hand. >>

New players to the physical bullion market should stick with items most difficult/least likely to be counterfeited. US bullion coinage continues (for now) to be at the top of that list. While a limited number of fake US silver eagles have been discovered, they will continue to get the full attention of the US Secret Service. With all of the bullion products out there, this in itself is a good reason to stick with US bullion coinage. Items such as in the OP should be bought only by those who KNOW the product well.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The subject bar is an especially scarce 5 oz variety I have only seen offered once before. When the "right" bars come along knowledgable collectors will bid strongly. >>

eyeroll... nice1 again...lol
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any seller that gets that kind of money for a 5 oz bar but can't afford to send along the buffalo nickle in the picture must be operating on a razor thin margin

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In today's market, be it coins, bars, rounds or nuggets.... caveat emptor - the thieves are out in force.... Cheers, RickO