Home Precious Metals

Anyone ever use a metal detector to check their bullion?

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a metal detector, a whites V3, that gives a very specific "VDI" number for a specific metal / size & shape object.

If you had a known good bar, any size, in theory at least, all other bars of the same type, brand and size, should ring up with the exact same VDI number.

If any other metal was inside the bar, as in the case of a hollowed out & filled bar or in the case of a plated bar, the metal detector could not return the same VDI number.

People often use the detector in this way when say looking for a lost earing. What they will do is they scan the earing that was Not lost, they get a VDI reading, and then they are able to block out, as is possible with the V3 detector, all other VDI numbers and now with only the VDI reading of the earing, plus maybe the VDI numbers that are just above and below the search target number, they go out looking for the lost earing. Anything that sets off the detector is dug up and there is a very good chance of finding the lost earing provided one has an idea of where about it was lost..

Just a thought.

Comments

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    All my detector reads when I scan my bars is "pulltab". Can't be bad....can it?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    Unless its Coors (a.k.a. the Silver Bullet) image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will certainly work with the V3.... I have checked my nuggets and a coin or two.... all read appropriately.... Cheers, RickO
  • I've never used a metal detector myself, but thanks for the heads-up on this. I'll keep it in mind, and perhaps at some point will make such a purchase.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i havent tried that one yet.