Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just wanted to share my small 1980s unopened box collection. Just added my favorite box tonight- 1/2

Just wanted to share.

My goal is to have at least one unopened box that I busted as a kid(all products 1984-1991).

I have a long way to go but I enjoy the hunt.

imageimage

The newest addition(shelf) is nine boxes from a fresh case 1-15-14

This was sent to me tonight from a board member with no name. Just blown away but can tell you this is my favorite box now. What an amazing gift. I like the note as much as the box.

imageimage
** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Options
    Looks like you are on your way! Great start!! Love pics image
  • Options
    Saving that picture as laptop background. Thank You. Love it ! Keep going.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nicely displayed! You are off to a flying start.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done!image
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking boxes!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Looks good ... keep it up!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Are you only going after what you collected as a kid or are you covering everything released within those years?

Arthur
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Love those 80s boxes! Thanks for sharing!

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice. Are you only going after what you collected as a kid or are you covering everything released within those years?

Arthur >>

I' m going for every mainstream box released from 1984-1992(I really stopped from in 1993).

I busted every product in those years. I may not have busted a full box but I loved busting packs.

The reason I have a 1983 Topps is my brother bought it for me for Christmas last year from BBCE.

We liked the 1983 Topps because in 1984, when I was seven, I spent my own money on five packs of 1983 Topps for my brother for Christmas. He pulled the three big rookies in those five packs.

I bought those five packs for .75 each at Egad's card shop in Nashville, TN at Rivergate Mall.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work, Nathan! You have a great collection there that's true to your username!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Nicely done!
    Thanks for sharing...I wonder is there any downside to storing the box on-end? Seems like this might create some corner pressure on the bottom cards,
    expert advice?
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding! Looking forward to the continued evolution!

As a side note, those '90 Leaf boxes sure do bring back some rather expensive memories.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Love the 84 Topps!!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    nice start Nathan--just don't stop collecting unopened. I started in the late '80s and have not stopped yet!!
  • Options
    I say rip em all
  • Options
    I just want to thank each of you for your kind comments.

It's fun to collect the things you enjoy and this board gives you a place you can share it with someone who understands.
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection Nathan!!
    On a side note, how did your brother do at this years main event?
  • Options
    Nice collection Nathan.Are you going to the Moeller show? Steve has a great lineup for the show this year.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking collection. I like the display. Are you only doing baseball?
    James
  • Options

<< <i>Nice collection Nathan!!
    On a side note, how did your brother do at this years main event? >>

He cashed in quit a few events(pretty sure more than five) this year throughout the year. However, he didn't cash in the WSOP Main Event.

<< <i>Nice looking collection. I like the display. Are you only doing baseball?
    James >>

No, I really want to do a small run of Football. The 1984-1986 Topps Football boxes hold a special place in my heart but are expensive. I can remember buying a complete 1985 Topps Football box on Christmas vacation at my grandparents in Ashland, KY. I can also remember having the Elway and Marino rookie and my brother telling in me to keep those because they were going to be great. The 1986 design was my favorite. It brings back lots of memories of a friend that used to have lots of those and would let me look at them all.

Of course, to buy these to display and enjoy I am going to need to hit a lick in real estate or eBay flipping.

<< <i>Nice collection Nathan.Are you going to the Moeller show? Steve has a great lineup for the show this year. >>

I'm coming up to Dad's for Thanksgiving so I am hoping I can make it to the show on Friday for a bit but I have to be back on Saturday to have my mother and brother over at our house so I'm not setting up. Who all does he have coming?
  • Options
    Hey Nathan,he is having Tony Perez,Cesar Geronimo,Ken Griffey Sr.,George Foster,Don Gullett,Dave Parker and on sunday Mick Foley.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nicely done!
    Thanks for sharing...I wonder is there any downside to storing the box on-end? Seems like this might create some corner pressure on the bottom cards,
    expert advice? >>

Great photo. Ughh. You guys are making want to expand my unopened. I've already expanded to 1983, but the boxes in the photos below look so nice! Could someone build me a room addition please. hah!

The question above it one I have thought about. I display my boxes at about a 40 degree angle and I checked a couple of non-wrapped boxes for pack pressure against the front wall. Nothing measurable. Standing up though, particularly the bottom two rows, seems like it could be a little risky. Anyone have insights here?
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great collection Nathan! Thanks for sharing the photo. I love the 1984 Fleer and 1990 Leaf boxes. Something about the simplicity of those designs that makes them great cards to look at. Keep up the great work.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job of displaying Nathan.

I like the way you have the graded packs displayed next to the boxes. Almost looks like a card shop.

I remember how 90L exploded right after it came out. I still don't have a box of either series.

What did you open in 1992? I liked F Ultra the best - over Topps Stadium Club. The inserts were fun to chase. And of course - liked the 92 UD Homerun Heroes!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Nice job of displaying Nathan.

I like the way you have the graded packs displayed next to the boxes. Almost looks like a card shop.

I remember how 90L exploded right after it came out. I still don't have a box of either series.

What did you open in 1992? I liked F Ultra the best - over Topps Stadium Club. The inserts were fun to chase. And of course - liked the 92 UD Homerun Heroes! >>

I enjoyed Fleer Ultra insert sets. That black marble look had me addicted. I loved the Fleer black all star inserts and the rookie sensations. I really enjoyed those. Of course, I busted alot of Donruss because I wanted the Elite cards( pulled a Brett and Henderson in 1991). I busted anything I could get my hands on. I also enjoyed the Pinnacle inserts with stars on each side( team pinnacle? ). I busted a ton of the Upper Deck and liked the Ted Williams cards, silver sluggers from jumbos etc.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you opened a lot of the same early 90s stuff that I did.
    James
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice job of displaying Nathan.

What did you open in 1992? I liked F Ultra the best - over Topps Stadium Club. The inserts were fun to chase. And of course - liked the 92 UD Homerun Heroes! >>

I enjoyed Fleer Ultra insert sets. That black marble look had me addicted. I loved the Fleer black all star inserts and the rookie sensations. I really enjoyed those. Of course, I busted alot of Donruss because I wanted the Elite cards( pulled a Brett and Henderson in 1991). I busted anything I could get my hands on. I also enjoyed the Pinnacle inserts with stars on each side( team pinnacle? ). I busted a ton of the Upper Deck and liked the Ted Williams cards, silver sluggers from jumbos etc. >>

Wow, flashbacks. I remember those issues well now that you describe them. I remember buying a lot of Pinnacle jumbo packs, loved the glossy black cards. I think they had a subset called Team 2000 or something like that, all young prospects. Those were pretty sharp looking if I remember correctly.

A little later on but I remember buying a lot of 1994 Score trying to get the Gold Stars. Can't remember if they were in series 1 or 2 or if they were hobby or retail only but I churned through a lot of boxes of those.
  • Options

Here's a sample that I posted on my "perspective" thread.
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone, your post reminded how much I enjoyed Fleer Ultra so I picked up each series from 1992 with my latest junk wax pick up.

Bump for the new pictures.
  • Options
    My wife bought me a few boxes for Christmas from BBCE so I took some new pictures to share.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you had a great Christmas, Nathan. The collection keeps growing I see. Great display! I personally love the 1985 Fleer Eric Davis cello and the 1988 Donruss Gregg Jefferies cello. Those are both in my wheelhouse of childhood collecting. Brings back so many great memories of pocketing my lunch money so I could stop by the general store after school and get 5-7 packs of cards. $2.50 used to go a really long way in the early 80's. 1984 was the first year I really coveted as I was a big Strawberry fan back in the day. Looks like you have added a box to keep and a second one to open at some point image
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just want to thank each of you for your kind comments.

It's fun to collect the things you enjoy and this board gives you a place you can share it with someone who understands. >>

I understand Nathan. image

I thought I had already posted in here, but I guess work got in the way. Outstanding setup and looking forward to seeing your additions in 2014!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    1980s collector-
    That is an awesome collection of unopened material you have there.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just want to thank each of you for your kind comments.

It's fun to collect the things you enjoy and this board gives you a place you can share it with someone who understands. >>

I understand Nathan. image

I thought I had already posted in here, but I guess work got in the way. Outstanding setup and looking forward to seeing your additions in 2014!!! >>

Hiya Nathan and Happy New Year!

I agree with you and Mike - we need a place to relate.

Too bad our wives don't concur.
    Mike
  • Options
    Picked these up via eBay and seem to be exactly as advertised(fresh from a sealed case).

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me gusta! Loving the Great Wall o' 85 Topps, Nathan. Keep it up bud!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    You are putting a great collection together.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the 85 boxes. Awesome collection you got going there!

Jeremy
  • Options
    Oh my!!! Love the 1985 Topps Wax Box fortress. Congrats again on the pickup!!! image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Great looking collection. Congratulations on the 85's. Awesome pickups.
    Steve
  • Options
    Nice Nathan!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

That is a nice mountain of 1985's!!!
  • Options
    The 1985 Fleer Cello Box was sent from a board member out of the blue.

I have a new favorite box.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1985 Fleer Cello Box was sent from a board member out of the blue.

I have a new favorite box. >>

Awesome gesture!!! Great guys on this board and fitting that this box ends up in an 1980scollector's collection. image

Collecting: