Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Global Shipping Program - Anyone using it?

Hi folks,

I heard that the coin category on ebay just became eligible for the ebay Global Shipping Program. I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about it or is using it themselves. Is it in fact a preferable alternative to just using the USPS for shipping?

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last I heard is Coins is excluded.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used it, but for non-coin items. It worked well for me. If coins were allowed, it would at least eliminate (or greatly reduce) the fraudulent delivery claims. I'm not sure if Ebay Global Shipping opens items to ensure that they are there - it would seem a huge expense to do so. So you would still be up against fraudulent SNAD claims or "box of rocks" claims. For me, even if it were available, I wouldn't send anything of great value.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I have never used the global shipping program for coins as they were not eligible its great if that has changed. I have though used the program more then 50 times for other items with great results. No liability past the consolidation point in KY. The buyer cant leave feedback about customs fees or taxes or shipping times it can be removed at least.

I wont ship international at all unless it is with the global shipping program. The global shipping program is a good one and has made it possible for me to sell more with out the issues international shipping often creates.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    someone please explain what it is.... someone who has used it..
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there exists a previous thread that was VERY thorough. i highly recommend reading it although to summerize.

you ship your non-numismatic related item(s) to an ebay facility and they ship it from there and you are only responsible for getting it to the shipping center. *for certain countries listed within the ebay FAQ on the shipping program.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I do not use it, and probably never will.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    Restricted categories

Items listed in a restricted category are currently not supported by the Global Shipping Program due to export limitations and restrictions identified by the global shipping provider.

Restricted categories
    - Coins & Paper Money excluding Publications & Supplies
  • Options
    for whatever it is worth, i just shipped a few low-dollar coins via the global shipping program to a country in europe. i think it is on the list of approved countries just fyi.

no software prohibitions/restrictions when sending the item, completely with the ebay system. shipping time was impressive as well.

i'm just waiting on buyer response about some of the details of the transaction for my personal edification.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you will find the prices to the buyer are awful . If you offer it on low priced items you won't have any issues with foreign buyers because they won't buy. image
  • Options

<< <i>I think you will find the prices to the buyer are awful . If you offer it on low priced items you won't have any issues with foreign buyers because they won't buy. image >>

that is one of the inquiries i have to the buyer after reading a couple of crazy threads here about duties/import/taxes and shipping. i'm crossing my fingers for good news as i have thousands of world coins i'd like to start picking up the pace on unloading. mostly under $10 stuff and i really don't want to research which ones bring a lot in holders in what grade as the amazing amount of hours involved vs the possibility i have some that would fall into that category.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use it and have no plans to. I was blindsided by it about two months ago on a $20 dollar coin purchased by someone in Australia. The buyer immediately wanted to cancel the transaction when it became evident the fees he would have to pay exceeded the value of the coin. After this unpleasant incident I went and set up my ebay preferences to exclude countries I don't ship to to include everything outside of the US. I went on the net and researched how to do this (a source outside of ebay).

I work as a financial manager during the week and when I go at lunch to ship something I don't want any hassles. The post office near my office seems to be staffed with some really low IQ people (vs the one near my home - Saturday shipments) and I never know what to expect. Just recently I had one try to tell me I could not use the pink signature confirmation form with an insured item blue form $215. She finally decided that the computer would let her do it. This makes me mad as all get out - they promote these forms to sell you this service and then don't know if the computer will let them? Does this location manager just hire all dummies (for a type set) or is this just relatives and friends. On sales over $200 on ebay you need signature confirmation (pink form as I don't believe they take the green form any more) or some bozo will try to screw you thru paypal.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

I sold a holed 2 franc coin this past week and I had put worldwide shipping for 4$ , the winning bidder was in France .

Via the amazing ebay global shipping it would have cost $9.50 . image

I stapled it in a 2x2 , taped that to a Joyeux Noel card and put it in an envelope and it set me back $1.15 in stamps.

I refunded him 2$

Lance , I have a customs fee estimator page for you but it might take a while to find it.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't use it and have no plans to. I was blindsided by it about two months ago on a $20 dollar coin purchased by someone in Australia. The buyer immediately wanted to cancel the transaction when it became evident the fees he would have to pay exceeded the value of the coin. After this unpleasant incident I went and set up my ebay preferences to exclude countries I don't ship to to include everything outside of the US. I went on the net and researched how to do this (a source outside of ebay).

I work as a financial manager during the week and when I go at lunch to ship something I don't want any hassles. The post office near my office seems to be staffed with some really low IQ people (vs the one near my home - Saturday shipments) and I never know what to expect. Just recently I had one try to tell me I could not use the pink signature confirmation form with an insured item blue form $215. She finally decided that the computer would let her do it. This makes me mad as all get out - they promote these forms to sell you this service and then don't know if the computer will let them? Does this location manager just hire all dummies (for a type set) or is this just relatives and friends. On sales over $200 on ebay you need signature confirmation (pink form as I don't believe they take the green form any more) or some bozo will try to screw you thru paypal. >>

$250 is the criteria required for Signature Confirmation and not $200. I'm sure your PO works just like the rest when it comes to hiring. That's handled by some one else.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accidentally forgot to block world bidders on a auction recently - but so far it's been painless. You're on the hook for shipping to the main center, then ebay and the buyer take it from there.

I typically block non-US bidders, but will probably stop doing so. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Accidentally forgot to block world bidders on a auction recently - but so far it's been painless. You're on the hook for shipping to the main center, then ebay and the buyer take it from there.

I typically block non-US bidders, but will probably stop doing so. image >>

my buyer just informed me there were no extra charges to receive the items via the global shipping program. if all the approved countries are like this, that changes the whole ballgame. light-weight items to the netherlands fast and inexpensively. can't believe how fast they arrived.

i have shipped direct before and it works fairly well. just depends where the items are going and whom encounters them along the way.

we'll see how the others pan out.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Accidentally forgot to block world bidders on a auction recently - but so far it's been painless. You're on the hook for shipping to the main center, then ebay and the buyer take it from there.

I typically block non-US bidders, but will probably stop doing so. image >>

my buyer just informed me there were no extra charges to receive the items via the global shipping program. if all the approved countries are like this, that changes the whole ballgame. light-weight items to the netherlands fast and inexpensively. can't believe how fast they arrived.

i have shipped direct before and it works fairly well. just depends where the items are going and whom encounters them along the way.

we'll see how the others pan out.
    . >>

I looked at one of your listings and put in germany for my location and it says 10.98 shipping and $15.35 customs charges

I found my customs calculator link import duty calculator

I'd be curious how that calculator syncs up with ebays numbers , you need the items value though to get a result.
  • Options
    finally got a specific answer from the customer. on a $32 order, the duties or whatever was $18. unacceptable by my standards.

wonder if ebay has some "arrangements" with the approved countries in getting some of that action?

• Options
    after reading the user message again, they stated they paid the amount in "shipping"

there was no mention of duties or taxes.

but in any event, there were strong costs incurred.

maybe i'll go back to standard custom forms with basic tracking.

• Options

<< <i>.
    after reading the user message again, they stated they paid the amount in "shipping"

there was no mention of duties or taxes.

but in any event, there were strong costs incurred.

maybe i'll go back to standard custom forms with basic tracking.
    . >>

I send anything under $100 overseas first class without tracking I've never had an issue. I use envelopes and stamps whenever possible , if it is too big for that I hand address it instead of printing a label . I never use Ebay labels I think that makes things more likely to get opened . For first class you can use the small customs label , there is very little space to write anything on it and its barely readable anyway because its the carbon copy that goes on the package so its always blurred.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I seemed to have been automatically elected for it as a coin I sold yesterday was entered into the Global Shipping system. The buyer appears to be from Denmark. I specifically say in my auctions no international shipping but I guess I have something turned off in my settings allowing internaional buyer to buy and complete checkout. Anyhoo, it's might expensive for the buyer to ship this coin. Here's the breakdown......

Coin BIN price: $94.90
    S & H: $11.54 (buyer paid)
    Import Charge: $27.32

Total paid by buyer: $133.76

My shipping charge that I paid for the label was: $4.28 (First Class w/ Sig Conf.)

The shipping address that printed out on the label is an address to: XXXX Airport Exchange Blvd, Erlanger, KY

I guess this is the sort facility for the Global Shipping and it goes out from there and gets another label???
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not use it, and probably never will. >>

Time to eat crow.......

I used it, well I guess I should say I was forced to use it. I sold 6 PCGS blue boxes.

Auction ended and the winner was from Erlanger KY, it was payed for through paypal by a person from UK

I just received this message along with positive feedback today.

Hello,

Got the cases thanks. Pitney Bowes has opened it as normal and put their notice of customs check in it.
    Package was resealed with eBay tape and was a single carton USPS box with no packaging. The packing list was still sealed on side of carton.
    2 cases have cracked lids which I'm not fussed about as they were bought as bargain price used condition and are perfectly able to store slabs.
    It cost $61 for the cases: 26 for items, 23 for shipping & 12 for tax. I was surprised to see Pitney Bowes only give you half of the shipping costs as they already charge a fee and I wondered where the rest of the money goes? As you only received 36.
    Thanks for items and sending them; it's Pitney Bowes who are rubbish. 5star for sending these so I can store my slabs.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    i'm going to opt out. as stated in this thread, at least for smaller/light-weight items, there are other options.

account - site preferences - shipping preferences - offer global yes/no

• Options
    One thing about the global program : The packages are insured. I had one damaged item that they repackaged very poorly in KY before they sent it on its way. I have sent 80 plus global program shipments so far.

I called ebay and talked to the global shipping side and they refunded my customer in full for the damaged item. I had to do nothing other then make a call and explain the situation they refunded my customer in about 10 working days.

I was quite pleased that my liability was only to KY and ebay handled the claim easy and without many steps.

I had packed the item very well and compact as well, pitney decided to pack it in another box and leave it in the rain the item was broken and wet when it arrived.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I use it, but I have had some customers overseas complain about it. I offer to remove any item from the Global program and that has helped, but they have to ask before they purchase it or I have to refund their money and relist it. Probably a toss up as it does relieve some pressure about overseas sales and delivery.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>One thing about the global program : The packages are insured. I had one damaged item that they repackaged very poorly in KY before they sent it on its way. I have sent 80 plus global program shipments so far.

I called ebay and talked to the global shipping side and they refunded my customer in full for the damaged item. I had to do nothing other then make a call and explain the situation they refunded my customer in about 10 working days.

I was quite pleased that my liability was only to KY and ebay handled the claim easy and without many steps.

I had packed the item very well and compact as well, pitney decided to pack it in another box and leave it in the rain the item was broken and wet when it arrived. >>

So ebay caused the damage and then covered it?
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Interesting discussion on the ebay boards about how sellers should protect themselves from ebay's Global shipping program. It seems the issue was eBay choose to opt everyone in, whether you were asked or not and regardless of your selling preferences. I am USA only, don't ship internationally, and had to manually turn this thing off. What a pain in the tookus.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Tough enough to deal with Ebay on domestic shipments. I will pass on the overseas stuff.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think ebay force everyone use it. Mine is no by default. I think it will cost buyer a lot more by using this global shipping program and it will take longer time to get to the buyer.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I seemed to have been automatically elected for it as a coin I sold yesterday was entered into the Global Shipping system. The buyer appears to be from Denmark. I specifically say in my auctions no international shipping but I guess I have something turned off in my settings allowing internaional buyer to buy and complete checkout. Anyhoo, it's might expensive for the buyer to ship this coin. Here's the breakdown......

Coin BIN price: $94.90
    S & H: $11.54 (buyer paid)
    Import Charge: $27.32

Total paid by buyer: $133.76

My shipping charge that I paid for the label was: $4.28 (First Class w/ Sig Conf.)

The shipping address that printed out on the label is an address to: XXXX Airport Exchange Blvd, Erlanger, KY

I guess this is the sort facility for the Global Shipping and it goes out from there and gets another label??? >>

I don't think your buyer will happy with the cost. With such high shipping cost I doubt the buyer will come back and buy again.
  • Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    I've used the program a couple times on Ebay for radio items sold to international buyers. Props to ebay for offering this service.
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • Options

<< <i>I've used the program a couple times on Ebay for radio items sold to international buyers. Props to ebay for offering this service. >>

I agree. I sell merchandise mostly very few coins so in my case it made it possible to sell international with out the risk.

my sales have increased as a result of the program and the protections it offers.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first and last sale via global shipping never paid
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used it, ebay opted me in w/o me paying close attention.

The buyer in OZ paid about 20% more than if I had shipped directly. The buyer was very happy. A sale is a sale-can't argue with success.

I just get a little nervous when a third party handles the merchandise. I would like to see ebay produce a YouTube video on the process.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

Since I opened up most of my listings to overseas buyers and at the same time opted out of the Global shipping program I'm starting to get a lot of interest from overseas.

I went from selling nothing to one or 2 items a week over seas and I have noticed that the ebay shipping calculator gives wildly inaccurate prices to buyers for some reason.

The other day a buyer in Spain asked if I would send a truck part to him because he desperately needed it and no one would agree to ship to him. The item weighed 28 pounds and while it was sized to fit in a large priority flat rate it couldn't go that way because that box is limited to 20 pounds.

He said he would pay whatever it cost so I added the option of priority international worldwide and ebay charged him $148 for shipping. When I printed the label it only cost me $79.00 through ebay shippingimage

I kept a few bucks and refunded the difference and he was very happy. If he wasn't so desperate for the part he would have clicked right past me because the displayed shipping was so high.

Since then I went in and changed my location to various countries so I could see my items as a buyer from another country and everything I checked is high.

It doesn't help selling to opt out of the Global shipping program if the buyers are still being shown the same ridiculous prices as if I was in it. image

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

NOTE: This is a bump of an old thread regarding the Global Shipping Program.

I received the following email from Ebay today. It looks like they now allow for coins to participate in the program. I have been avoiding this, but maybe it would have some value? What are your opinions? What I found interesting is that this email states that they are going to force sellers to use the program, unless you click the opt-out link.

We've noticed you have a number of listings that are a great fit for the Global Shipping Program but are not currently enabled for international sales. This means you're missing out on millions of potential buyers.

In October we will automatically enable all of your GSP-eligible listings. This will help make it easier for buyers in up to 64 countries to purchase your items.

International sale, US shipping

With the Global Shipping Program, you simply ship to a US shipping center where international shipping and customs clearance are handled for you.

No action is needed to take advantage of this global selling opportunity; simply leave your settings as they are now. Eligible items are identified automatically, free of charge. However if you would like your GSP-eligible items to be excluded from the Program simply click here by October 3, 2014.

And as always, thanks for selling on eBay!
  • Options

Ay yi yi image So this means they are going to try once again to sneak people into this vile program.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    You can opt out manually. I went to customer support, clicked that, did search for global shipping opt out, which pulled up of course info on global shipping, clicked through a few links there and the opt out thing pulled up.

I'm done with them bozos whenever they start the mandatory 6 month return thing, but one less hassle before I'm done.

OK, go to customer support type in this:

What is the Global Shipping Program?

Then the OPT out appears in the menu...
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can opt out manually. I went to customer support, clicked that, did search for global shipping opt out, which pulled up of course info on global shipping, clicked through a few links there and the opt out thing pulled up.

I'm done with them bozos whenever they start the mandatory 6 month return thing, but one less hassle before I'm done.

OK, go to customer support type in this:

What is the Global Shipping Program?

Then the OPT out appears in the menu... >>

Or go to: My eBay....Account....Site preference.....click on... shipping preferences..show..... Offer the Global Shipping Program...NO

I did that when it first came out and that option is still there.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file