Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Amazing Henry VIII Two Pence

I am in the process of "dabbling" with British coinage. My current goal is to see if I can collect one example of every English monarch back to William the Conqueror, maybe beyond. I know that there are some monarchs, like Edward VIII and the very sad case of Lady Jane Gray, that are not available, but for the most the vast majority of kings and queens can collected.

At any rate I spotted this Henry VIII half groat at the Baltimore show and just could not resist. It hard to believe that one can find a piece of hammered English coinage that is this nice. PCGS graded it AU-53, which using U.S. standards, I would consider conservative. To me it is a solid AU-55, but I imagine that the British collectors would grade it as an EF.

imageimage
Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin! I love the light iridescence. I imagine that looks fantastic in hand.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually, hammered coins do not attract my attention, but this one IS incredible.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Usually, hammered coins do not attract my attention, but this one IS incredible. >>

My thoughts exactly.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats.
    Terriffic Henry VIII with great eye appeal and portrait.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did that set one time. I enjoyed seeing how many monarchs I could get.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice henry ya got there.
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin but I don't think it would grade EF.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think I would go EF as this has some weakly struck areas (as opposed to wear)….
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece.
  • Options
    I know nothing about hammered coinage, but this is a nice looking coin and people sharing nice looking hammered coins like this are softening me up to possibly dabbling in the future
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside Bill! image
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh-oh, now you've got the bug.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice coin but I don't think it would grade EF. >>

How much luster does it take to make EF in England? This piece has roughly 50% of the original mint surface.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    A "British EF" can grade out in the AU55-MS63 range here. Some Brit sellers don't grade any higher than EF.

That's a very nice hammered piece.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Super nice coin! I haven't picked up a Henry VIII yet, but I look forward to finding a piece as nice as yours hopefully. I have been dabbling in a monarch collection as well, which is fun when a nice piece shows up at a decent price. It's a good long term collection in my opinion especially if you set a price threshold that is fairly low. It will make you work to find many monarchs. I am focusing on pennies as I believe all monarchs that issued coinage issued pennies at one time or another. Some monarchs were spotty with other denominations so I figured the smallest unit would suffice.

Good luck on your hunting!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful coin. I'm also not big on hammered, but this one is very appealing.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am in the process of "dabbling" with British coinage. My current goal is to see if I can collect one example of every English monarch back to William the Conqueror, maybe beyond. I know that there are some monarchs, like Edward VIII and the very sad case of Lady Jane Gray, that are not available, but for the most the vast majority of kings and queens can collected.

At any rate I spotted this Henry VIII half groat at the Baltimore show and just could not resist. It hard to believe that one can find a piece of hammered English coinage that is this nice. PCGS graded it AU-53, which using U.S. standards, I would consider conservative. To me it is a solid AU-55, but I imagine that the British collectors would grade it as an EF.

imageimage >>

Very beautiful amazing coin!! I have not seen a hammered Henry VIII coin that looked so good! I agree totally with your evaluation. You can't grade these the same way you grade a struck coin. If anyone has any hammered coins in this condition that they want to sell at VF price or less - please contact me immediately for an instant sale.

Bob