Home Metal Detecting
Options

New to metal detecting ......... Advice needed

Hello all, I am going to get into metal detecting with my sons this spring and I am going to be purchasing 3 new detectors for them for the holidays. Need to get some recommendations on brands that are good (or excellent) for detecting base metal coins and precious metals (gold, silver, platinum, etc.) ......... Any thoughts or suggestions would be much welcome. Price is not a concern, as I am looking for quality and performance foremost. Thanks in advance ........
Condor

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will likely get several recommendations.... most based on personal experience - which is good. I personally prefer White's detectors, they are leading edge technology, highly reliable and have the best customer service I have seen. As to model, certainly where/what you will be searching is important to consider.. for example, parks and fields, or beaches, or prospecting.. if you will be doing all three then I would recommend the White's V3i.... if you were going to beach/water hunt... then the Beachhunter... prospecting, then the GMT.....I am sure there will be other advice shortly. Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll second what RickO said....I'm a Whites user. But, there are others and a quick search here
    on this forum will give you a ton of info. Look at the older theads.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Watch some youtube videos of the Minelab Etrac. After I watched, buying one was an easy decision.
  • Options
    I suggest that you look for a local detecting club. Also go to YouTube and watch videos on proper digging techniques. Many newbies get into this hobby and leave messy holes everywhere. Careless digging causes everyone to loose access to public places. If you find a local club, you may find that permit is needed. My county requires one for digging in parks and schools. Usually the club provides the permit with membership.

I would suggest looking at whites or the ace 250 models. Kellyco.com is a good place to start.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I passed on the Etrac, but now I am second guessing myself. How long is the learning curve on this machine?

-Dan
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments folks. It seems the whites is the most mentioned brand that I got from a few dealers that I called as well as the general consensus here. With the info gained thus far Im gonna do a little research as well as go test out a few models. Will post what i purchased here when I get em ............... Thanks again to all for your comments !!!!!
    Condor
  • Options
    Welcome to the addiction..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I passed on the Etrac, but now I am second guessing myself. How long is the learning curve on this machine? >>

You can start finding coins immediately upon removing the Etrac from the box. Over the matter of a few weeks I learned how to customize the settings to suit my personal taste. I thought it would be complicated; however, it's a wonderful and easy machine to use.

I'm sure it has helped me find many more coins than my old Ace 250. More importantly, it has saved me the trouble of digging up lots of useless junk that lesser machines would have identified as coins.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I passed on the Etrac, but now I am second guessing myself. How long is the learning curve on this machine? >>

You can start finding coins immediately upon removing the Etrac from the box. Over the matter of a few weeks I learned how to customize the settings to suit my personal taste. I thought it would be complicated; however, it's a wonderful and easy machine to use.

I'm sure it has helped me find many more coins than my old Ace 250. More importantly, it has saved me the trouble of digging up lots of useless junk that lesser machines would have identified as coins. >>

I've heard a lot of good things about the White's V3i. It was in the running for one of my choices, but I was too anxious to wait for it to come out... and got an e-trac. It's a great machine and although it does work out of the box, it took me a little while to figure out all of the multi tones. Minelab now has the CTX3030 which sounds good. Heard some issues about the 10 foot water resistant aspect, so might be wise to wait a bit for them to get that figured out first. You should check out Youtube videos of the detectors in action and narrow it down from there. In the end it's your decision and there are some very good machines out there.
  • Options
    I have a Deus XP and I love it it is powerful easy to use and light Lookit up and check it out you wont be sorry
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭

<< <i>it has saved me the trouble of digging up lots of useless junk that lesser machines would have identified as coins. >>

From one experience back in 1972, I'll never not dig up a toner. I was MDing a untouched
    school grounds, got a hit and dug up a wad of tin foil. In the foil was a old bottle cap. Inside the
    bottle cap were two very nice Roosevelt dimes.

Yea, it was one in a hundred (or more) but worth it! And I was using a big old boxy White's. I do
    believe I was the first to invent a arm brace back then using a half piece of 4" PVC tubing!
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    Cool find spy88...I have found coins AND bottle caps.. but never packaged such as you found.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Cool find spy88...I have found coins AND bottle caps.. but never packaged such as you found.... Cheers, RickO >>

image ..... Great find spy88. Thanks for the read!
    Condor
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Thanks guys...

Yea, I think it is imperative to dig up any tone when doing old school yards. Kids and
    their coins...you never know what they'll do with them to protect from losing (obviously, it
    didn't help the poor kid that lost the ones I found)!

I still have several pocket knives from that school. I know I found a ton of "stuff" but
    the tin foil really stuck with me!
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I strongly suggest purchasing the Garret Pro-Pointer.
    It is used after locating your target, and it vibrates and beeps when it is several inches from target.
    Eliminates a lot of digging.
    Works from the tip, as well as the side, the side covers an area of 4 inches or so.
    I have recovered objects that were wery encrusted with dirt, that I otherwise would have missed, had it not been for the Pro-Pointer.
    Youtube has some great videos concerning this unit.
    Have Fun!
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Oops! I also deal with Kellyco.com.
    My detectors are an Garrett Ace 350, then upgraded to the Garrett GTI 2500.
    The 350 works well, nice and light.
    After the learning curve, I moved up to the GTI 2500.
    I really like the imaging on the 2500.