Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Missouri Cabinet is up

Missouri Cabinet is up.....HERE

Catalogs are shipping this week.
Numismatic Photographer for Superior/Ira & Larry Goldberg since 1990, Photographer of THE TYRANT COLLECTION one of the greatest collection ever formed.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks as I'm enjoying these lil sisters... Great pics and meaty descriptions image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go back 20 years ago when I was collecting half cents by die variety, I'd be be excited. Now, not so much.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 1795s the best.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very cool stuff in there!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

An awesome collection of Half Cents!!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of super coins.
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Feast your eyes!

• Options
    PhotoguyPhotoguy Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! Should be a night to remember.
    Numismatic Photographer for Superior/Ira & Larry Goldberg since 1990, Photographer of THE TYRANT COLLECTION one of the greatest collection ever formed.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it great to have less of a minefield to wander through? image
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

DonWillis: <<Feast your eyes! >>

Yes, there are many amazing coins in this set. I feel fortunate that I had the opportunity to examine some of them at the ANA Convention. Thank you, Ira, Larry & Jason.

PhotoGuy: <<Thanks everyone! Should be a night to remember. >>

It certainly will be! Also, while the photographs in the catalogue are excellent, it is important to examine such coins in actuality.

TDN: <<Isn't it great to have less of a minefield to wander through?>>

Is TDN referring to the fact that the coins in this set tend to score higher in the category of originality than the coins in some other relevant sets?

The PCGS-67-RB 1794 is my favorite, among the Tettenhorst coins that I carefully examined:

The Missouri Half Cent Collection Part 1: Tettenhorst 1796 'No Pole' Liberty Cap

The Missouri Half Cent Collection, Part II: Tettenhorst, Superb Gem 1794

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing coins that have not seen the light of day for many years. If EAC is your deal, I just hope you didn't spend it all at FUN.

OINK
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

OldIndian: << If EAC is your deal, I just hope you didn't spend it all at FUN.>>

Although there were buyers of rare die varieties at this sale, the focus was really on the quality of the coins and the PCGS grades. The Tettenhorst-Missouri Collection of half cents is not exactly analogous to the Mervis Collection of large cents, and the thrusts of the respective auctions were tremendously different. The dominating bidders at this sale were focused on buying very high quality coins, gems whenever possible, for date sets or type sets. The Mervis Collection will clearly be remembered for die varieties, with quality being a secondary consideration. Also, it is more difficult to find gem half cents than it is to find gem large cents.

The Missouri Half Cent Coin Collection, Part III: Astonishing $18.26 Million for Tettenhorst Set!
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Although there were buyers of rare die varieties at this sale, the focus was really on the quality of the coins and the PCGS grades. The Tettenhorst-Missouri Collection of half cents is not exactly analogous to the Mervis Collection of large cents, and the thrusts of the respective auctions were tremendously different. The dominating bidders at this sale were focused on buying very high quality coins, gems whenever possible, for date sets or type sets. The Mervis Collection will clearly be remembered for die varieties, with quality being a secondary consideration. Also, it is more difficult to find gem half cents than it is to find gem large cents.

Your perspective relating to the relevance of these auctions is very well stated. I appreciate that.

OINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file