Home U.S. Coin Forum

LEGEND SETS A WORLD RECORD PRICE!

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I case you missed it in their THE BALTIMORE FALL SHOW report...

LEGEND SETS A WORLD RECORD PRICE! Today, Saturday 11/09, Legend Numisamtics paid a record $276,000.00 to buy the holey grail of the arrowhead world-the largest and finest Clovis point that exists. We paid that price while representing a customer. It is the most expensive arrowhead to ever sell at auction! In ALL areas of collectables today, there is more money than supply. Hence the, record prices.

Morphy Auctions Lot # 57 - Rutz Clovis Point

The Rutz Clovis Point, a projectile head circa 10,000-9,000 BC, will lead Morphy Auctions' November 9 sale of prehistoric American artefacts in Denver with a $200,000-400,000 estimate.

Rutz Clovis point expected to fetch $400,000 at auction. The point was discovered in 1950.The Clovis people were early inhabitants of North America who first appear on the archaeological record 13,000 years ago. The distinctive bifacal stone spearheads, known as points, were used to hunt big game such as mammoth.

The Rutz point, carved from green obsidian, was discovered in a wheat field in Douglas County, Washington in the 1950s and has remained in the same family ever since.

At just over 9 inches, it is the largest ever found and is considered to be of great historical importance.
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $276,000 in an auction with a high end estimate of $400,000 equates to a boisterous claim of strength in the market?

That's an interesting spin.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    were is the bean?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about this kind of stuff.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow , that is a really nice piece.

I have found a few obsidian arrowheads in the Mammoth area.
  • I recall in The Galileo 7 episode of the original Star Trek when Spock has his first command and is stuck on that planet with Bones, Scotty and three others that the attacking aliens were using spears which had a tip called - now my bad memory (or not) - it was not a Clovis point it was a Folsom point. image never mind.

Eric
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I should inform my Graduate Professor, who discovered a Clovis Site in Texas with hundreds of intact Clovis points, to sell a couple and retire nicely! image

All joking aside, I really don't see that much value in this item! But, it would have made for one HECK of an effective hunting spear point or knife blade!

*The Auction description was also slightly wrong. The site is called Richey (not Richie), but is also more knowingly referred to as the East Wenatchee Clovie Site.

Edited to add - with a point THIS LARGE, the people who produced it probably produced many at a time and likely cached them (as are common traits of Clovis sites).
    I wouldn't be surprised if more examples were found about this large in the same area. The size of this point also tells me that it was probably never used, but if it
    was used it wasn't used very much as progressive re-sharpening would have reduced it's overall size considerably (like so many Clovis points which are found).
    Nevertheless, it takes an immense skill to produce an blade/point this large - these Clovis people were true masters of stone (no pun intended)!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it had Mammoth DNA on the tip I still wouldn't want it.

peacockcoins

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. >>

How about this recent sale Violin played as Titanic sank sells for $1.7 million image
    ^
    Yeah. Even if that violin had Mammoth DNA on the tip of it I still wouldn't want it either.

peacockcoins

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>^
    Yeah. Even if that violin had Mammoth DNA on the tip of it I still wouldn't want it either. >>

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    13,000 years............ image

At this point the piece is sui generis TDN quality/rarity, though another group of '33 $20's might still be out there. . image

13,000 years............ Think about it. . . . How ironically does Ozymandias come to mind....
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

<< <i>13,000 years............ image

At this point the piece is sui generis TDN quality/rarity, though another group of '33 $20's might still be out there. . image

13,000 years............ Think about it. . . . How ironically does Ozymandias come to mind.... >>

Every time I see his wife Sharon on, "The View".

peacockcoins

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good point, but I doubt it makes 100. image
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just see it as a point rock. I have some arrowheads but they were less then a few bucks. I wouldnt pay $276,000.00 no matter how rare or "special" it is.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have large spear points that were found by a family member in Georgia around 1960 or so. I've never measured them and they are made out of a white stone.

I don't see the value in the item sold but do have an appreciation for it mainly due to the material it was made from.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very interesting and should cloned mammoths ever be made we will surely need something to kill them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>13,000 years............ image

13,000 years............ Think about it. . . . How ironically does Ozymandias come to mind.... >>

Ozymandias
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome point..... however, would not have expected that kind of money being spent. There are many points found it this area, some as large as that one.... Cheers, RickO
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's keep this related to coins, 'eh?

Okay, the kid that made it traded it to his older brother in exchange for his brother's wife.

Yep, currency in the oldest form.

bobimageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>were is the bean? >>

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many expert arrowhead collectors (like my father) that are also expert knappers of flint, chert, obsidian, quartz, glass and other materials that were used by the Indians to make arrowheads. This arrowhead would be very easy to counterfeit using whatever stone that you desired. Make one slightly larger and bury it in the ground for a year and then discover the next great rarity.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The size of this point also tells me that it was probably never used, but if it
    was used it wasn't used very much as progressive re-sharpening would have reduced it's overall size considerably (like so many Clovis points which are found).
    Nevertheless, it takes an immense skill to produce an blade/point this large >>

Stone - do you think a blade like this was more of a ceremonial piece? These were generally made to be projectiles, hafted to a stick, for throwing by hand, or with an atl-atl......I'm guessing the weight of this piece wouldn't allow the 'projector' to get it very far!
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of it as the ancient equivalent to an RPG.
    Something like this was used as a spear I believe. Could they be thrown, sure but frequently they were hand held such as fishing in a stream.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    What Mint was that made in?...err.. I should say what Flint was that made in. image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

<< <i>What Mint was that made in?...err.. I should say what Flint was that made in. image >>

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have owned many arrowheads but actually chose to put them back where I found them. Yep,
    went back to every spot, actually quite fun, and put them back in the dirt as close to the way I
    remembered finding them.

The one in the pic above was probably not even considered usable as it was flawed. The thickness
    should not be thin just ahead of the point. It would break on contact most likely. Thus was discarded
    and never used.

Just my observation.

It would be fun to find such a real piece. Biggest I ever eyed in the earth was about 3.25 inches.
    In N. Nevada east of Pyramid lake. Near the lake shore it was littered with little bird points and
    an occasional 1-1.5" dear/sheep point. Many different types are found there from chert to flint
    and obsidian. Obsidian was never found locally so trading must have taken place with other
    tribes/peoples.

When hunting for them it was best after a light rain as they would glisten in the wet earth.

I also found occasional campsites with fire pits that were littered with broken points, sandals,
    wrappings for arrows and such. Although in the charcoal of the pit, these would be un-burned
    so I always thought they just used the old fire pit as a dump. Perhaps so.

In S. Nevada the points are almost always less than an inch. Never found one larger, even in
    the deer/elk/sheep areas. They must be there but must be quite scarce.

In Colorado I did several hunts and found they were all over an inch but under 2 inches. No biggies
    that I thought we'd find. Not many bird or fish points either though.

Anyone can hunt for them. Just point your nose to the ground and look. Late in the day after a
    rain or shower is always the most productive. They stick out like sore thumbs as they are so shiny
    when wet. Go slow.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

<< <i>I have owned many arrowheads but actually chose to put them back where I found them. Yep,
    went back to every spot, actually quite fun, and put them back in the dirt as close to the way I
    remembered finding them.

The one in the pic above was probably not even considered usable as it was flawed. The thickness
    should not be thin just ahead of the point. It would break on contact most likely. Thus was discarded
    and never used.

Just my observation.

It would be fun to find such a real piece. Biggest I ever eyed in the earth was about 3.25 inches.
    In N. Nevada east of Pyramid lake. Near the lake shore it was littered with little bird points and
    an occasional 1-1.5" dear/sheep point. Many different types are found there from chert to flint
    and obsidian. Obsidian was never found locally so trading must have taken place with other
    tribes/peoples.

When hunting for them it was best after a light rain as they would glisten in the wet earth.

I also found occasional campsites with fire pits that were littered with broken points, sandals,
    wrappings for arrows and such. Although in the charcoal of the pit, these would be un-burned
    so I always thought they just used the old fire pit as a dump. Perhaps so.

In S. Nevada the points are almost always less than an inch. Never found one larger, even in
    the deer/elk/sheep areas. They must be there but must be quite scarce.

In Colorado I did several hunts and found they were all over an inch but under 2 inches. No biggies
    that I thought we'd find. Not many bird or fish points either though.

Anyone can hunt for them. Just point your nose to the ground and look. Late in the day after a
    rain or shower is always the most productive. They stick out like sore thumbs as they are so shiny
    when wet. Go slow.

bobimage >>

I used to find arrowheads with my dad who was a serious collector. The best places to look are in freshly plowed fields after a heavy rain that exposes them by washing off the dirt that hides them. Also, the Indians camped on higher ground because it provide good drainage so that's where there is a higher concentration of arrowheads.

• << <i>It is very interesting and should cloned mammoths ever be made we will surely need something to kill them. >>

Without a doubt...post of the week.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
    I have no idea why people keep saying arrowhead. Do you have any idea how large and strong of a bow you would need in order to launch an arrow (a large one at that) that had a 9" rock on the end? Arrowheads are short, about 1-3". A spearhead or knife blade would have something much longer like the one auctioned.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spear-hunting technique in many other times and cultures: Enticing the prey to attack and then running it through. The weight of the attacker forces the point of the spear ever deeper. . image

My initial knowledge of this comes from a movie where Racquel Welch rocks a fur bikini. . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What Mint was that made in?...err.. I should say what Flint was that made in. image >>

Philadelphia. No Flint Mark.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭
    I remember Racquel Welch in that fur bikini but nothing about any arrow headsimage
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    As a young Kid I used to spend hours combing a field across the road for arrowheads. The time to search was after they plowed the field and after a few rains had washed down the soil a few times.

It was a lot of work but finding a decent intact arrowhead was like finding a pot of gold.

Imagine my dismay when my brother recently told me a local Amish guy has learned to make arrowheads that are spittin images of the real thing.

Hey do you think maybe this guy could make me a big point like that Legend one?
    Think anyone could tell the difference?
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at 9 inches, that would be one image site to behold in-person.

the image does it a great disservice w/o something providing scale.

13k years ago the people were doing that and today in a supposedly advanced society people are addicts and homeless and people in their 20s/30s can't even take out the trash imageimage

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Clovis people were taken aboard by visiting Aliens before they threw that rock (meteorite) that changed the course of the St. Lawrence river and the global climate (triggered most recent Ice Age)

Look it up!

the price was a bargain!

this post brought to you by McCarran Int'l airport and Maker's Mark

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• I don't think I would want to attack a mammoth with that.image

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry no interest - 276 k would buy a lot of gold Buffaloes or AGE off Apmex
    Coins & Currency
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Will PCGS be slabbing these anytime soon? CAC getting on board also? I'd think that anyone spending that sort of coin on rock would want to be protected.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet the chinese could easily fake a piece of rock
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spear-hunting technique in many other times and cultures: Enticing the prey to attack and then running it through. The weight of the attacker forces the point of the spear ever deeper.

Those were primitive days. Today, we use unreserved auctions to the same effect.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The Rutz Clovis Point, a projectile head circa 10,000-9,000 BC, will lead Morphy Auctions' November 9 sale of prehistoric American artefacts in Denver with a $200,000-400,000 estimate. >>

That's a little old even by my standards. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would I pay it? No, but I don't collect those. I have learned to try not to disparage what others collect so I'm a bit surprised by some statements.. As far as reproducing it, I think a lot more comments make little sense. Why don't those saying they can make one go ahead and make a trade dollar that will fool the lot of us. Point being that the little nuances and details are what prove the point. So to speak.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The size of this point also tells me that it was probably never used, but if it
    Nevertheless, it takes an immense skill to produce an blade/point this large >>

Stone - do you think a blade like this was more of a ceremonial piece? These were generally made to be projectiles, hafted to a stick, for throwing by hand, or with an atl-atl......I'm guessing the weight of this piece wouldn't allow the 'projector' to get it very far! >>

I wouldn't want to be the guy in its path when its thrown. Looks like it could do some irreparable damage to a guy's head.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already made my point, but when it comes to Legend, this thread will likely shoot past the 100 mark.
    +2 , as puns go.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't want to be the guy in its path when its thrown. Looks like it could do some irreparable damage to a guy's head. >>

No, I bet not - assuming it could be thrown more than about 20 ft or so.....while many here may be picturing large, burly cavemen types, I think in reality most of these fellows were quite small compared to us. Also, most of the 'working' clovis-type points were thin and 2-3 in length,
    and made from cherts, flints, and hardstones, rather than obsidian, which also breaks rather easily, being like glass. But when thrown with
    an atl-atl, with the point hafted on a shaft by the flutes, giving it less resistance, the 'spear' could fly a long way, with decent accuracy, and
    penetrate deeply into the intended target.

A few other things - These pieces pre-date 'arrow heads' by many thousands of years, as bows are relatively recent (on the human time scale)
    invention. And true arrow points are usually about a half inch or so......like my point about the above piece, sure you can make it large, but
    how far would it go when you shot it?

As to damage to a guy's head, this did bring back a recollection when I got a 'tour' of a multigenerational collection of artifacts collected in Ohio - among them was a human jawbone excavated from a mound (legal at the time), that had an arrowhead impaled in it.

As to fakes, like many other things, these have been a problem for many decades. Hence the need, just like in coins, for expertise, knowledge, certification, and provenance of important pieces. There are attributes to look for that are difficult, if not impossible, to fake. Yes, fakes are made that sell readily at flea markets, etc. but anyone paying the big money is likely not going to be fooled by something made last week or last year.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Any chance that this is a knife considering its 9" length? The base could have been wrapped with leather to create a handle.

• CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    How come the off topic posts get more attention here?

I wonder if we are missing the point.......

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭
    Great thread and an excellent example of how an occasional off-topic post can be enlightening and educational.

OP - thanks for sharing this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file