Home Metal Detecting
Options

cleaning dug coins

zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
borrowed a detector from a friend and proceeded to dig up my back yard. First time I have ever used one of these things and I actually found a few coins. How do I go about cleaning them? (1 modern quarter, 1 Lincoln cent and 1 silver dime.) Thanks, Zippcity.
Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-

Comments

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I toss my modern clad in a rock tumbler. Congrats on the silver.

Cleaning the silver wont hurt the melt value so it depends on the date of the coin.

I run my clad thru the CoinStar machine and get gift cards from Amazon or Lowes. That way I get full value.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the silver! What is it and what date, mm?

The regular clad I just scrub down and the really clean stuff I take to the bank. Not so desirable stuff goes to coinstar. The rejects my buddy buys for half face value. Silver I just run under water and hopefully a little soap takes care of the dirt. Can't rub but dab. I've used hydrogen peroxide on tough dirt before too.

So the big question is... Are you now hooked on detecting?
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input, the dime was a 64d , more silver for the pile. Not hooked yet, but it wouldn't take much. Thanks again.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hobby can be devilishly addicting.... hot running water for most coins...anything of value takes more esoteric methods...ask here first if you get some old coins... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wed love to hear about more older coins and silver and/or copper image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also put mine in a rock tumbler with a little soap and sand. And I too run them through Coinstar and use the Penny's gift card option. Sometime if there is a problem they will give you cash and not charge a fee. I also use the coins for small purchases.