Home Metal Detecting

Nov 6, 2013: Before LordM posts his finds! 10 buttons and 1851 LC

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Had to sneak this in before LordM posts his finds and blows away these finds!

Got out today to a place that's yielded some good stuff in the past. Was slow going at first but managed 10 buttons, an 1851 large cent, and bowl portion of a spoon. Some of the buttons are pretty big! Couple of the tombacs have a nice design.

HH all!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds... that cent looks good.... getting close to the end of the season too... Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I won't be blowing away anyone's finds today, due to the demise of my detector. That and other issues have cost me a whole day. image

Most of my finds over here have been buttons like yours, actually, though all smaller ones. Your big 'uns are definitely 1700's!

Nice job on that sweet large cent. To find those and so many large flat buttons, you must have a pristine, nearly untouched site!

What is the legend on that apparent British military button's inscriptions? That one bears further research!

Speaking of things British, I hope to get at least one more full day in the fields here, though it appears it will be with a borrowed machine, and no pinpointer, as the death of my detector rendered my inline probe similarly useless.

Nice work- keep 'em beepin'!

BTW, if someone of YOUR skills got over here, you would no doubt give 'em some competition!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... sorry to hear of the bad luck with the MD LordM....there is an axiom in firearms - 'One is none, two is one'...which means we always carry a backup... I know, a little more problematic with an MD... Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I didn't bring my other machine, because I have never used it and it is unfamiliar. A used Minelab, it has some issues of its own. And it would have required another piece of luggage and would have cost another hundred bucks to fly over.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your troubles LordM. Would be tough to bring two detectors but at least someone has a backup.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to add... It looks to be a Coldstream Guards button. Will have to research them some more