Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Expansion Era HOF Ballot

Included in this year's Expansion Era ballot is: Dave Concepcion, Steve Garvey, Bobby Cox, Tommy John, Tony La Russa, Billy Martin, Marvin Miller, Dave Parker, Dan Quisenberry, Ted Simmons, George Steinbrenner and Joe Torre. Election to the HOF via this path requires 75% of the vote from a 16 member panel. I think Managers Torre, Cox, and LaRussa all have a shot. To think of the history that these 3 Managers have been a part of is incredible. These 3 were all integral parts of the game during my lifetime.

Results of the Expansion Era ballot will be announced Monday, Dec. 9, on the first day of baseball’s Winter Meetings in Orlando. The 2014 induction ceremony in Cooperstown is Sunday, July 27.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dwight Evans getting another look this year? image

edit: guess not, 12 named on there. I think that's the max. Oh well.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Marvin Miller should've been in years ago based on how profoundly he changed the game.
    Torre should be in. I"m a bit conflicted over LaRussa based on him turning such a blind eye towards rampant steroid use on his teams.
    Pass on the rest- surprised some are even on the ballot.

1 Marvin Miller

Eventually but not this time
    2 Joe Torre

Hall of Very Good
    3 La Russa (lets see what he knew and when he knew it, but definitely a great manager who will probably get in)
    4 Dave Parker (there are worse in the hall, but I hate that argument. If he was clean he will look better in comparison to the current era)

No chance
    Conception
    Garvey
    Billy Martin
    Dan Quisenberry (at least until closers are looked upon a bit differently)
    Ted Simmons

why even on the ballot?
    Steinbrenner (Felony conviction)

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    out of those 12, I'd vote/rank like this:

1. Joe Torre
    2. Tony La Russa
    3. Bobby Cox
    4. Ted Simmons
    5. George Steinbrenner
    6. Dave Parker
    7. Dave Concepcion
    8. Steve Garvey
    9. Billy Martin
    10. Tommy John
    11. Dan Quisenberry
    12. Marvin Miller
    Top 3 should all be in at some point. Solid arguments can be made for Simmons and Parker. But I agree with the above, none of the players get in on this one.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My list would look something like this:

1. Marvin Miller

(HUUUUUUUUUUUGE dropoff)

2. Joe Torre
    3. Ted Simmons
    4. Tony La Russa
    5. Bobby Cox
    6. Dave Parker
    7. George Steinbrenner
    8. Steve Garvey
    9. Billy Martin
    10. Tommy John
    11. Dan Quisenberry
    12. Dave Concepcion

Top 4 on my list get in. Wouldn't complain if #5 & #6 get in. But Marvin Miller is, IMHO, the #1 guy not in the HOF already that belongs in, other than Barry Bonds. And that includes being ahead of Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Being a guinea pig for a game-changing surgery, and having that surgery named after you, ought to count for Hall entry, huh?

Miller - yes, no explanation necessary
    Torre - yes, based on his playing career as well as mgr
    Parker - yes, def. the best all-around player on the list
  • Options
    No way Parker belongs in. How does a guy not even get 25% of the vote suddenly worthy of the Hall a few years later?
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I grew up as Dodger fan and Garvey was my guy. Still collect him today, and would love to see him enter some day. However, no way in hell, he should get in before Gil Hodges.

Whether it's the Gold Gloves or 2nd most HRs in 50's, the fact that he played for NY teams, gave a few years serving his time like many of his peers, member of the expansion Mets, or manager of the Miracle Mets, he's got these footnotes that to me (albeit biased) would make up for the lower average, or the fact that he never won an MVP (Campy won 4 and Newcombe won 1, tough competition within his own team, let alone the likes of Banks and Aaron), and he played with another handful of HOFers with whom he belongs enshrined as well.

I'm sure I'm overly dramatic and I know he's not the only one to be snubbed, but this list makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Garvey is so low on many lists?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I've always had a soft spot for hodges as well, if Santo can get in why not hodges? Hodges was a key player on one of most beloved teams in all of baseball. I'm not bashing Santo but I really feel that he got in due to a campaign launched by cubs fans. His case for the hall was never really any stronger than Hodges just my humble opinion.
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand why Garvey is so low on many lists? >>

Because he wasn't even the best hitter on his team most of those years he got 200+ hits.

Crappy OBP and not as good a hitter as Reggie Smith. I love Garvey but he's not a HOF.
  • Options
    If your gonna have Concepcion on the list why not mark Belanger?? Neither should ever be remotely considered for the hall both where glove men and I'd say Belanger was better with the leather than Dave was. Garvey falls just short in all areas, how's Tommy John any different than Jim Katt or Luis Tiant? If Johns in than those two should be to. Parker was great but nowhere near long enough. I'm not sure why Sutter ever made the Hall so if he's widely regarded as a bad selection (think most agree) then Quizenberry falls short also. I think people forget what a great hitter (for a catcher) Simmons was but he was considered all hit no field. He suffers when compared to Bench, Carter and Fisk. Also I think alot of people would wonder why he's considered and not Munson.

I'd say Miller because of his profound impact on the game and Torre get in. Torre goes in before Larussa and Cox because of what he did on the field as well as his time managing the Yanks.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    ok I still think he should be a HOFer but then again I think Mattingly is a HOFer.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My list would look something like this:

1. Marvin Miller

(HUUUUUUUUUUUGE dropoff)

2. Joe Torre
    3. Ted Simmons
    4. Tony La Russa
    5. Bobby Cox
    6. Dave Parker
    7. George Steinbrenner
    8. Steve Garvey
    9. Billy Martin
    10. Tommy John
    11. Dan Quisenberry
    12. Dave Concepcion

Top 4 on my list get in. Wouldn't complain if #5 & #6 get in. But Marvin Miller is, IMHO, the #1 guy not in the HOF already that belongs in, other than Barry Bonds. And that includes being ahead of Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose. >>

I think Cox will get in before LaRussa because of Cox' streak of 14 straight division titles. That record will never occur in baseball again.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i> he never won an MVP (Campy won 4 and Newcombe won 1, tough competition within his own team, let alone the likes of Banks and Aaron). >>

Campy won 3, just like Berra, but your point is made.
    I'd like to see Hodges in for everything he did. Same with Lefty O'Doul, and to a certain extent Torre. I don't think Eck gets in for just his relief work, but when you add his wins as a starter he's in. The opposite with Smoltz, with the same result.

I tried looking up how much some players improved each year on the ballot but couldn't find it. I know Nellie Fox and Robin Roberts started off really low and slowly rose up the ranks until they got in. Blyleven is another one that was low the first year and despite his record not improving one iota kept rising up the ranks until he finally got it. I can understand if someone doesn't make it their first year in order to save that honor for the elite, but after 5 years pull them off- and no second chance in a crony committee, the likes of which enshrined those immortals like George Highpockets Kelley, Ross Youngs, and Bobby Doerr.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Dave Parker outshines anyone else on the list. He was AMAZINGLY popular between 77-80. Baseballs first million dollar player. After all, it is called the hall of FAME. And who else had an arm like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkCE6JHUb00

A nice MLB.COM article here on Parker. Sad to hear he has parkinson's disease.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130809&content_id=56420344&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
  • Options
    Joe Torre has to be the top choice. Before Piazza he was the best eligible catcher not yet in the Hall-of-Fame. The run he had with the Yankees alone would earn him some consideration. Those two things combined make him an obvious Hall-of-Famer
  • Options
    Joe Torre , Tony LaRussa , Bobby Cox , and George Steinbrenner will all be Hall of Famers . Tommy John and Marvin Miller should be as well . The others no way.
    Ted Simmons Dan Quisenberry, Dave Concepcion, Steve Garvey and Dave Parker have no business being mentioned in the same breath as Hall of Fame .
  • Options
    If you use the excuse that Parker was great for a few years, Mattingly, Nomar and Dale Murphy should be in.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Marvin Miller is the only one of that entire list who belongs in. Every one else? Nope. Tony LaRussa and Joe Torre lucked into some great teams, and it's tough for me to suggest any modern manager is every going to be worthy of induction.

• Options

<< <i>Joe Torre , Tony LaRussa , Bobby Cox , and George Steinbrenner will all be Hall of Famers . Tommy John and Marvin Miller should be as well . The others no way.
    Ted Simmons Dan Quisenberry, Dave Concepcion, Steve Garvey and Dave Parker have no business being mentioned in the same breath as Hall of Fame . >>

Disagree. Cox was a joke. The pitching staff he had all those years and only one championship?
  • Options

<< <i>If you use the excuse that Parker was great for a few years, Mattingly, Nomar and Dale Murphy should be in. >>

Parker had great years with 4 different teams. At age 38 he helped lead Oakland to a title in 89.
  • Options
    I'd rank like this, w/ comments:

1. Steve Garvey - MVP, career average near 300, Gold Gloves, put him in
    2. Tony La Russa - deserving, but he just retired. what if he comes back next year?
    3. Joe Torre - was he just a product of a high payroll team?
    4. Bobby Cox - only one WS championship with so much talent
    5. Dave Concepcion - average player, but a cog in the Big Red Machine
    6. Dave Parker - numbers similar to Garvey, but will his cocaine use hurt him?
    7. Tommy John - average player, but near 300 wins
    8. Billy Martin - will one WS be enough?
    9. George Steinbrenner - a train wreck, but he won
    10. Ted Simmons - he was on the ballot one year, and got 3.7%
    11. Dan Quisenberry - a good relief pitcher, but not enough
    12. Marvin Miller - he changed the game, but for the better? will fehr be next?

I'd probably just vote Garvey in, and wait on the rest.
  • Options

Took 2 other bad teams and turned them into winners before joining Yankees. 1995 Yankees also had the highest payroll in baseball and did not win. Torre is hired for 96 season and they win the WS.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting debate regarding Garvey and Parker. I'd say they are both fairly similar on the all-time list. Garvey had a career OBP% of .329 while Parker's was .339. Garvey's OPS+ is 117 while Parker's is 121. Garvey won 4 Gold Gloves while Parker won 3. Both won 1 MVP award. Parker finished in top 5 5 times overall while Garvey just twice, though Garvey also finished sixth 3 other times. Parker's career WAR is 40.0 while Garvey's is 37.6.

If we're going to include postseason numbers in the evaluation, Garvey gets a bump there with a craeer OPS of .910 and SLG% of .550 while Parker's was a rather mediocre .647 and .360 respectively. Garvey had 11 postseason HRs and 31 RBIs in 55 games; Parker 3 HRs and 11 RBIs in 30 games.

I'd say both players are in the Hall of Very Good, imo..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>3. Joe Torre - was he just a product of a high payroll team?

Took 2 other bad teams and turned them into winners before joining Yankees. 1995 Yankees also had the highest payroll in baseball and did not win. Torre is hired for 96 season and they win the WS. >>

I thought there was some kind of quote from Steinbrenner to Torre one time where George said something along the lines that Torre never won before he got to the Yankees. This article (Link) also said that Torre was somewhat considered a failure at managing before he got to the Yankees, and "in each of his three previous stops, with the Mets, Atlanta and St. Louis, his team had a losing record in his final season at the helm." Regarding the 96 season, I thought that was the Buck Showalter rule, where one year after the team fires him, the team wins the WS the next year.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting debate regarding Garvey and Parker. I'd say they are both fairly similar on the all-time list. Garvey had a career OBP% of .329 while Parker's was .339. Garvey's OPS+ is 117 while Parker's is 121. Garvey won 4 Gold Gloves while Parker won 3. Both won 1 MVP award. Parker finished in top 5 5 times overall while Garvey just twice, though Garvey also finished sixth 3 other times. Parker's career WAR is 40.0 while Garvey's is 37.6.

If we're going to include postseason numbers in the evaluation, Garvey gets a bump there with a craeer OPS of .910 and SLG% of .550 while Parker's was a rather mediocre .647 and .360 respectively. Garvey had 11 postseason HRs and 31 RBIs in 55 games; Parker 3 HRs and 11 RBIs in 30 games.

I'd say both players are in the Hall of Very Good, imo.. >>

I think what really separates these two players is extra base hits. Parker ranks #53 all time, while Garvey is at #144.

Parker also ranks #37 all time in doubles, and #51 all-time in RBI.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand why Garvey is so low on many lists? >>

Easy. If you're a HOF 1B, you either gotta hit for a really high average (Rod Carew) or you gotta hit for a lot of power (lots of guys). Garvey did neither. Career .294 hitter with 272 HRs, topping 30 HRs only once. Heck, you can look at his entire career and there's not really a GREAT offensive season in there anywhere. He won an MVP with .312/21/111. That's a nice season and all but great? Not hardly. Not even by 1970s standards.

Somebody else mentioned Ted Simmons vs Thurman Munson. First of all, Simmons was a LOT better offensively than Munson. Their career OPS+ are nearly the same (118 vs 116) but only because Simmons played a lot longer, with his last 5 years bringing his overall numbers down. He played 21 seasons and was an all-star hitting .308 and driving in 108 in his 16th season. Munson played only 11 years (not his fault, true, but he'd never have made it to 21, probably not even to 15) and his offensive game had already disappeared by year 11 when he hit .288 with no power. Simmons was an average catcher defensively. Not great but not the "no field" guy he's been labeled as. Simmons had 6 seasons of 20+ HRs, Munson had 1 (exactly 20). Simmons had 5 seasons of 130 or higher OPS+. Munson had 1. Simmons hit a HR every 39 PAs. Munson hit one every 52. And so on.

Someone else mentioned Joe Torre as the best catcher (other than Piazza) not in the HOF. I suppose you can make that argument but, really, he played 41% of his games at catcher. Doesn't really count.
  • Options

<< <i>3. Joe Torre - was he just a product of a high payroll team? >>

He finished his career with a higher batting average, on base percentage and slugging percentage than Garvey, while playing almost half his games as a catcher

During his eight All-Star years, his total salary was less than $1 million, Garvey earned more than that every year during his final five-year contract. Pretty ridiculous to say the difference in their success comes from Torre being on a high payroll team, while Garvey wasn't
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>3. Joe Torre - was he just a product of a high payroll team? >>

He finished his career with a higher batting average, on base percentage and slugging percentage than Garvey, while playing almost half his games as a catcher

During his eight All-Star years, his total salary was less than $1 million, Garvey earned more than that every year during his final five-year contract. Pretty ridiculous to say the difference in their success comes from Torre being on a high payroll team, while Garvey wasn't >>

I think he's reeferring to Torre as manger of the Yankees, not Torre as the player.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Someone else mentioned Joe Torre as the best catcher (other than Piazza) not in the HOF. I suppose you can make that argument but, really, he played 41% of his games at catcher. Doesn't really count. >>

Torre played a plurality of games at catcher. He had a better career than Simmons (though only very slightly and isn't too much of a struggle to accept Simmons as the better player)

Comparing OPS+ to Munson, during Simmons' best 11 seasons he played in 1628 games and had an OPS+ of 130 (during Torre's best 11 seasons, it was 137, but only counting years his 10 years as a catcher it was 130)

But both Torre and Simmons were poor defensively. Bill Freehan was a very good hitter and the best defensive catcher of his generation. Also a reasonable choice

Of course, the things Torre did after he stopped playing far exceeds every other borderline candidate at any position
  • Options

<< <i>
    I think he's reeferring to Torre as manger of the Yankees, not Torre as the player. >>

And I am referring to how silly it is to ignore what he did as a player when it comes to the Hall-of-Fame
  • Options
    I believe that Gil Hodges truly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

How many first basemen – or players at other positions for that matter – accomplished anything equivalent to the following by the end of Hodges’ playing era:

· All-time career right-handed home run hitter in their league
    · All-time career Grand Slam hitter in their league
    · Had 100 or more RBI for seven consecutive years
    · Had 30 or more HR six times, five consecutively
    · Won three Gold Gloves (first three awarded; they started giving them in 1957, toward end of his career)
    · Seven World Series appearances

Hodges was a dominating first baseman in his era – both offensively and defensively – and one of the best in baseball history. This is a compelling case for election into the Hall of Fame.

• Options
    Maddux, Glavine, Biggio and possibly Jack Morris are all likely to get in as players which leaves a crowded stage. I see only two veteren committee votes getting in and it will likely be Miller and Larussa. Larussa and Torre had similar managerial numbers but if you take away his time with the Yankee's, he is a sub .500 winner with 3 division titles in 29 years, no Pennants, World Series or Manager of the year awards. Larussa had a winning record with all three teams he managed, won titles and pennants in both leagues and was overall more consistent. The voters are not going to look at their body of work as a player to factor into their decision since they are going in as a manager, not a player or player/manager. Torre will get in but it will likely have to wait for the next cycle in 3 years.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rank like this, w/ comments:

2. Tony La Russa - deserving, but he just retired. what if he comes back next year?

I'd probably just vote Garvey in, and wait on the rest. >>

Well, at least I'm not the only one with Miller in dead last image
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

You can add me to the list lol.
  • Options
    I wonder why the negative sentiment for Miller? Was making employees fair partners in the money being made a bad thing? Or is this the whole 'unions are evil!' shtick that some news outlets have been perpetuating itself for years rearing its ugly head once again?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

You can add me to the list lol. >>

Done LOL. Maybe he gets in, maybe he doesn't. I have my own system where Miller is concerned. He was never a player, owner, ump, manager or team executive with huge credentials. Nor was he a builder, like some of the executives who were elected. I do not have a vote, if I did and was forced to choose between Curt Flood and Marvin Miller, Flood would get my vote as the pioneer who challenged the reserve clause at the risk of his own career. A challenge which eventually led to all the mega dollar contracts we see now. And Flood actually played the game. Miller played the law game. Induct him in the attorney HOF. That's just my opinion on Miller, not everyone agrees, and I'm fine with that.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Larussa,Garvey,Simmons.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Ted Simmons, Steve Garvey and Joe Torre, for sure.
  • Options
    What's the reasoning behind supporting Steve Garvey's candidacy? Before you answer, please take a look at Garvey's stats over on baseballreference.com. I've made the case against him, let's hear the case for him.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Garvey certainly deserves to be the Hall of Very Good.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    The more i look at Garvey, the more i think he should be a hall of famer. He had a very successful career. MVP, and runner-up another year, 10 time all-star. 2-time NL all-star MVP, 4 gold gloves, and a great post-season hitter.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts...

Players
    It will be tough for any player to get in. Concepcion came closest last time, but he had help from multiple former teammates on the voting committee. That won't be the case this year. Although he didn't come close last time, I think Ted Simmons is most deserving (and truly only deserving) among the players, but I don't think he'll get in. I think Tommy John will come closest but fall short.

Managers
    I can't see both Cox and LaRussa not making it. That leaves Torre out in the cold.

Execs
    Miller and Steinbrenner are both strong candidates. I give Miller the edge, but I still put his chances at 50% or so.

My Guess
    Cox, LaRussa and Miller. Torre, Steinbrenner and T. John are the only other people I think have a chance this year.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Garvey, thanks to NBC's Game of the Week and ABC's Monday Night Baseball was my first "must see favorite player", so I'm not sure I could say anything about him that wouldn't be biased in his favor. Top 25 MVP voting for 7 or 8 straight seasons. 4 straight 100 RBI seasons 77-80(not earth shaking but every player doesn't do it either). Certainly a big time piece in the middle of a good Dodgers batting order. Did well in the post season with the Dodgers and Padres. Carried the Padres over the Cubs in 1984. 2 or 3 gold gloves I think. Long streak of consecutive games played that ended vs the Braves in the summer of '83. Never a big power hitter for a 1B and when his HR totals dropped way down starting in 81 or 82 that hurt him. There are several worse choices in the HOF now than Garvey, IMO. But that wouldn't make his election any more meaningful. Over time I've come to accept that Garvey, Dale Murphy, Lance Parrish and Don Mattingly among some others are players that I liked a lot growing up, but each are a little short of what it takes to be a HOF'er. And as much as I like those 4, and can list positives about each, if I had a vote I don't think I could vote any of them in, including Garvey. Maybe it's age catching up to me image
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> believe that Gil Hodges truly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. >>

Hodges isn't eligible in this vote. I think his era comes up again next year.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>What's the reasoning behind supporting Steve Garvey's candidacy? Before you answer, please take a look at Garvey's stats over on baseballreference.com. I've made the case against him, let's hear the case for him. >>

Here are Garvey's stats vs 3 others who played in the 70s and are in the Hall of Fame:

Steve Garvey: .294 BA / 1143 Runs / 2599 Hits / 1308 RBI / 272 HR / .446 SLG / 5X Top 6 MVP Voting
    Player A: .267 BA / 1091 Runs / 2048 Hits / 1376 RBI / 389 HR / .476 SLG / 4X Top 6 MVP Voting
    Player B: .271 BA / 1650 Runs / 2517 Hits / 1133 RBI / 268 HR / .427 SLG / 4X Top 6 MVP Voting
    Player C: .279 BA / 1272 Runs / 2732 Hits / 1652 RBI / 279 HR / .463 SLG / 1X Top 6 MVP Voting

Steve Garvey: 4 Gold Gloves

Ranking of HOF 1st Basemen w/ Most Gold Gloves
    -------------------------------------------------------
    (1) Eddie Murray: 3 Gold Gloves
    (2) Everyone else: 0 Gold Gloves
  • Options
    Well, first of all, you're comparing Garvey to: A) a catcher; B) a second baseman; and C) a first baseman

C is Tony Perez and is a legit comparison and Perez's resume is better. 100+ more homers. 7 100-RBI seasons vs 5. OPS+ of 122 vs 117. 300 more RBI. 130 more hits. Higher slugging percentage. So Perez, who was a borderline candidate to many guys, is a better candidate than Garvey.

A is Johnny Bench. This one is laughable. First of all, Bench is widely considered one of the two or three best ever at his position. Garvey isn't even remotely close to the discussion of best ever at his position. Secondly, catchers are judged offensively by a slightly different standard and Bench's power trumps Garvey's anyway. And Bench was better defensively than Garvey.

B is Joe Morgan. What you're saying is Garvey essentially has the same offensive numbers as a second baseman. Is that supposed to be a positive? IMHO, it's a big strike against Garvey. First basemen are supposed to provide a lot more offense than second basemen, plain and simple.

Somebody else mentioned Lance Parrish. As a Tigers fan, it kills me that Parrish's back gave out on him in 1986. He was well on his way to the HOF when he got hurt. Heck, he might be the most underrated player in the entire decade of the 80s. He was an outstanding defensive catcher who also put up monster offensive numbers. And then he got hurt and was never the same. And heck, even with that, he'd be a pretty good candidate right now.

So, yeah, still not convinced on Garvey image
  • Options

<< <i>Well, first of all, you're comparing Garvey to: A) a catcher; B) a second baseman; and C) a first baseman

C is Tony Perez and is a legit comparison and Perez's resume is better. 100+ more homers. 7 100-RBI seasons vs 5. OPS+ of 122 vs 117. 300 more RBI. 130 more hits. Higher slugging percentage. So Perez, who was a borderline candidate to many guys, is a better candidate than Garvey.

A is Johnny Bench. This one is laughable. First of all, Bench is widely considered one of the two or three best ever at his position. Garvey isn't even remotely close to the discussion of best ever at his position. Secondly, catchers are judged offensively by a slightly different standard and Bench's power trumps Garvey's anyway. And Bench was better defensively than Garvey.

B is Joe Morgan. What you're saying is Garvey essentially has the same offensive numbers as a second baseman. Is that supposed to be a positive? IMHO, it's a big strike against Garvey. First basemen are supposed to provide a lot more offense than second basemen, plain and simple.

Somebody else mentioned Lance Parrish. As a Tigers fan, it kills me that Parrish's back gave out on him in 1986. He was well on his way to the HOF when he got hurt. Heck, he might be the most underrated player in the entire decade of the 80s. He was an outstanding defensive catcher who also put up monster offensive numbers. And then he got hurt and was never the same. And heck, even with that, he'd be a pretty good candidate right now.

So, yeah, still not convinced on Garvey image >>

He was having a monster '86 power season when he hurt the back also. Free agency followed, to the Phillies and I think Lance had one really good year after that with the Angels but I agree, never the same after 1986. Had he not gotten hurt, had he been able to let's say decline in a more graceful way, then Lance resembles a Gary Carter HOF argument. Some folks make that argument anyway, I can't myself, I see Carter as being a tier above Lance. But he was close to a HOF career.
  • Options
    None of these players are worthy of hall of fame admission. You know a hall of fame player when you see one, and these guys belong in the Hall of Very Good.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>None of these players are worthy of hall of fame admission. You know a hall of fame player when you see one, and these guys belong in the Hall of Very Good. >>

I'd love to see someone attempt to explain why Ted Simmons should not be in the HOF.