Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913 Liberty Nickel plasters by Max Mehl

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 7, 2021 5:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum
I recently ran across this piece attributed to Benjamin Maximillian Mehl.

I was wondering how many of these existed, if they were created by B. Maximillian Mehl, and if they show a reverse. It's a very interesting piece and I wonder if it was created during the auction process.

> Painted silver, and attached to a cardboard card that reads: Plaster cast from genuine 1913 Nickel
>
> An interesting little piece, exquisitely produced. Accompanied by a letter stating that it was originally obtained from the estate of B. Max Mehl. Mehl, arguably the most prolific coin dealer of the 20th century, spent millions of dollars advertising to purchase an example of the 1913 Liberty nickel. He never bought one. In fact, the only time he sold one was through auction, when he handled the “Olson” specimen, undoubtedly the piece from which this item was made from.

Also, is it true that Mehl "spent millions of dollars advertising to purchase an example of the 1913 Liberty nickel?" Millions of dollars seems like a lot for advertising.

* Link: http://www.numismaticamericana.com/sales-repository/plaster-cast-of-1913-liberty-nickel/
* Image: http://www.numismaticamericana.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/1913lib5ccast.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me? Why is the coin properly oriented. Wouldn't a plaster cast, when viewed, be a
    reverse image?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just me? Why is the coin properly oriented. Wouldn't a plaster cast, when viewed, be a
    reverse image?

bobimage >>

Good point! I'd also like to know imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First they make the mold..then the image... it is correct. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First they make the mold..then the image... it is correct. Cheers, RickO >>

exactly.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This plaster was on Ebay. I would love to have one, but the price was well out of my range.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I was still in Illinois I was contacted by a collector up in the northern end of the state who had one of these plaster casts. I referred him to the same link as in this thread, and never heard from him again.

It is likely that there are more out there, but I have no idea how many.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2020 9:09AM

I kind of regret not buying this Max Mehl plaster now.

This is probably the closest I would get to owning a 1913 Liberty nickel.

As it is, the current closest I have is a 1914 Liberty nickel.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's cool but if I had to have a copy, I'd rather have an electrotype. More durable than plaster.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your links are no good in the OP. It would be neat to have, but I can only imagine how much it cost.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2020 11:39AM

@oih82w8 said:
    Your links are no good in the OP. It would be neat to have, but I can only imagine how much it cost.

The links are from @njcoincrank's website. He hasn't been on in a year. I hope he's okay.

I think it was offered for around $2400 but I didn't see it ever sell.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2021 6:14AM

Here's a second specimen, offered for $4,900 in 2021.

I believe the Bill Shamhart specimen in the OP from 2013 was offered at $2,500 at the time.

This also comes with photo of the back of the holder so it answers my 2013 question about the back side.

• Options

Any thoughts as to whether PCGS will certify these one day?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

I doubt it. If they did, they would be setting a precedent for grading other cast coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

I doubt it. If they did, they would be setting a precedent for grading other cast coins.

PCGS did slab this electrotype, but this one is different as as there's some unproven conjecture that it was created at the US Mint.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    Super cool

It really is. More than a lot of other things, this shows how important this coin was to people in that era.

• Options

Maybe this will clear things up. I have 4 of these 1913 plaster cast nickels. The first one came from an old time collector who said that when McDermott carried his original in his pocket he gave these as a gift. I ran a Coin Shop in Northern Illinois and I think McDermott was from Milwaukee.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2021 12:25AM

@Oldsycamore said:
    Maybe this will clear things up. I have 4 of these 1913 plaster cast nickels. The first one came from an old time collector who said that when McDermott carried his original in his pocket he gave these as a gift. I ran a Coin Shop in Northern Illinois and I think McDermott was from Milwaukee.

Very interesting information!

Here's some info from Wikipeida on coin dealer James V. "J.V." Mac" McDermott carrying the coin around.

Has anyone seen this coin at the ANA?

McDermott specimen

Held by the American Numismatic Association's Money Museum in Colorado Springs, Colorado, the McDermott specimen has the distinction of being the only 1913 Liberty Head nickel with circulation marks on it. Johnson and Newman sold it to James Kelly, who then sold it to J.V. McDermott, whose name ended up as part of the coin's pedigree. He often carried the coin around with him, showing it off to bar patrons and boasting of its extraordinary rarity and value. The coin lost some of its original mint luster in the process, and McDermott eventually protected it in a holder to prevent further wear. After his death, the coin was then sold at auction to Aubrey Bebee in 1967 for US$46,000, who along with his wife donated it to the ANA in 1989, where it is exhibited in the Money Museum.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1913_Liberty_Head_nickel#McDermott_specimen

• Options
    edited December 10, 2021 12:25AM

Here's some in interesting info from Ed Rochette who worked at Krause Publications in the 1960s.

Not only did Mac pass around his coin at the bar, he shipped it via USPS uninsured to Krause Publications!

Ed Rochette said:
    I worked at Krause as an editor during the 1960s and thus have a store of anecdotal memories to call upon. There was the time we wanted to photograph a well-known but very rare coin to illustrate the cover of an early issue of Coins Magazine. The 1913 Liberty Head nickel seemed to fit the bill.

This coin is one of the best known of all American rarities. There are but five specimens known and, at the time, one was owned by a collector in Milwaukee, J.V. McDermott.

"Mac," as he was known, used to loan it to collectors to show at their club meetings or conventions. He carried the coin in his pocket to major coin shows.

In our minds there was little doubt that Mac would loan us this rare coin to be photographed. A phone call to Milwaukee confirmed it. Yes, we would receive it in a few days.

True to his word, the 1913 Liberty Head nickel arrived in the mail a few days later -- uninsured. When asked about it later, Mac replied, "Heck, everybody knows you can trust the mails!" That was almost 30 years ago.

Mac was indeed a trusting soul. Not only did he carry the coin around in his pocket, he also was known to imbibe in less than moderate terms. Evenings, after the bourse had closed, he often headed straight for the hotel bar, taking along his nickel.

The coin was passed around so much that it became the only specimen of the five known that could no longer be called "uncirculated."

Ref: https://buffalonews.com/news/he-trusted-rare-nickel-to-the-post-office/article_2c3cd6d9-d372-500e-be53-7f0d86d6336d.html

• Options
    edited December 10, 2021 12:31AM

More color on the nature of the McDermott specimen being passed around the bar:

David L. Ganz said:
    It is the 1913 Liberty nickel, which Breen described as "nicked, scratched, cleaned, exhibited at hundreds of conventions, reportedly used by [former owner J.V.] McDermott for baroom betting"

Ref: https://books.google.com/books?id=7hNjDwAAQBAJ&q=mcdermott

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

PCGS did slab this electrotype, but this one is different as as there's some unproven conjecture that it was created at the US Mint.

I am confident that the Mint did make some electrotypes of the 1804 dollar. One of them was copied from the unique Type Two, and you can easily see the Swiss undertype.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2023 9:12AM

@CaptHenway said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

I am confident that the Mint did make some electrotypes of the 1804 dollar. One of them was copied from the unique Type Two, and you can easily see the Swiss undertype.

Agreed, except perhaps not that easily visible since these photos are of the electrotype made from the coin struck over the 1857 Swiss Shooting Thaler.

This has a nice provenance:

Mark Ferguson said:
    This electrotype is now owned by ANA Past President H. Robert Campbell who purchased it about 15 years ago from another Past President of the ANA, Kenneth Bressett, who obtained it in 1993 from the Detroit Money Museum. The museum displayed this electrotype from 1960 to 1993 after acquiring it from Detroit collector Nate S. Shapero.

Ref: https://coinweek.com/education/coin-grading/coin-profiles-electrotype-1804-dollar/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file