Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a DDR???

I was looking at pictures in some of my future coins for sale, and noticed some possible doubling on the wing on this 1928P SLQ?

Look at the right wing, what is it?

Any rarity, or value?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Obverse, if needed;
  • Options
    OK, more.

Super close up of "United"

Whole reverse

Hard to see letters with the naked eye
  • Options
    looks like MD but not sure as the doubling is slightly rounded I will wait to see what others have to say.
  • Options
    "AM" in America
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Strike doubling, not a DDR.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is a term not seen/heard often, "die chatter" image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>Strike doubling, not a DDR. >>

Does this add any value? If so, how much? Should I get it certified, or is it not worth it?That eagle wing looks very prominent, unlike the letters.
  • Options
    nope not a mint error
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Machine/Mechanical/Strike/Shelf/etc Doubling.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to be machine doubling to me... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    While machine doubling is considered almost worthless, it is still an error that occurs in the mint process. It was Alan Hubert that concluded the mint process stopped after the initial strike that made the coin. Since machine doubling occurred after that strike, he considered it to be damage. However, the rules have changed a bit and the minting process does not stop there for certain coins now-a-days. The application of edge lettering occurs after the strike and machine doubling occurs, so we have to discount when Hubert said the minting process stopped. He also never took into consideration double strikes, where machine doubling may have occurred on the first strike.

Anyway, machine doubling though very much misaligned does have a small following and the extreme cases are deemed worth collecting. Your example does show machine doubling, but in this case does not command a premium for that error type.
    Member; ANA, CONECA, CFCC, Fly-in-Club, FUN, NLG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file