Home Sports Talk
Options

Why is the Washington Redskins name controversy only JUST NOW making news?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Call them the Pigskins and have the mascots be the Hogs like their old offensive line....Washington "Skins with the Hogs and their pig noses.....not too much of a reach.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the best idea suggested so far was to make the logo a potato and use "throwback" jerseys for the games with the old logo. >>

Got a feeling that the Redskins name would not be acceptable to the activists even if a potato replaced the current logo.

Am I correct, WCK?
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got a feeling that the Redskins name would not be acceptable to the activists even if a potato replaced the current logo.

Am I correct, WCK? >>

Right now there appears to be 40 current federal trademarks referencing "Redskins" and two of them refer to potatoes (one trademarked 8 months ago). So if the trademark office suddenly switches their position it would leave them open for a lawsuit.

"Redskins" Trademark Search

On a side note, a couple other quick searches show there are active trademarks issued for words containing "the n word", b**ch, ch*nk, c*nt and c**k (along with the 39 other companies using Redskins). I wonder why those aren't considered "disparaging."
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't think so with the history of the name and the logo.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer the original question of this thread......."Why now"?

Because this is the day and age of the PC Police do-gooders wanting to make a name for them selves....unwanted by the way!

As I have said before anyone having a problem with the Redskins name in the NFL........needs to get a life....seriously!!!!!