Home Sports Talk
Options

Extremely Offensive

I find the mascot Fighting Irish extremely offensive. The Washington Redskins should change their name to the Washington Bullets.

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    I know this is meant in jest, but what people continue to the miss the point on these debates are terms like 'Vikings' or any other that's thrown up in the defense of Redskins are not racial epithets. 'Redskin' is just as offensive a term to Native Americans as there is. Just because we've used it in our vernacular for decades doesn't lessen its historical significance of being an insult.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't the New England Patriots change their name to the New England Palefaces and we can call it even?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    How did I miss this thread? Here's my list:

Patriots: Offensive to non-Americans
    Jets: Offensive to anti-war advocates
    Ravens: Offensive to the ancestors of Edgar Allen Poe, since he was born in Boston
    Browns: Offensive to persons of Hispanic and Middle Eastern decent
    Chiefs: Offensive to Native Americans
    Raiders: Offensive to the victims of past crimes committed by Pirates (the term 'Raider' also applies in honor of SanctionII)
    Cowboys: Offensive to Native Americans
    Giants: Offensive to persons that are vertically challenged
    Vikings: Offensive to persons of Nordic decent, while also offensive to the victims of past crimes committed by said Vikings
    Saints: Offensive to persons that do not believe in religion
    Buccaneers: Offensive to the victims of past crimes committed by Pirates
    49ers: Offensive to Native Americans
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    The Fighting Irish is very different. Notre Dame would need to be the drunkin Paddys to come close. I never understood any defense of the name redskins. It's derogatory guys. If we called the team the Washington Wetbacks or something along those lines, you wouldn't defend it, but you defend this. I'm amazed it's an issue to change it.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>The Fighting Irish is very different. Notre Dame would need to be the drunkin Paddys to come close. I never understood any defense of the name redskins. It's derogatory guys. If we called the team the Washington Wetbacks or something along those lines, you wouldn't defend it, but you defend this. I'm amazed it's an issue to change it. >>

The reason? Most people don't know any Native Americans, so they feel its ok to continue to use this highly derisive, racial slur for a football team name. The most telling of just how foolish this fight in keeping the name has been is that not a SINGLE person has put forth any argument defending the name 'Redskin', most likely because there is NO defense for keeping the name. Worst yet? None of these people fighting against changing it are even fans of the team in the first place!
  • Options
    buntbunt Posts: 625

<< <i>How did I miss this thread? Here's my list:

Ravens: Offensive to the ancestors of Edgar Allen Poe, since he was born in Boston
    Raiders: Offensive to the victims of past crimes committed by Pirates (the term 'Raider' also applies in honor of SanctionII)
    Vikings: Offensive to persons of Nordic decent, while also offensive to the victims of past crimes committed by said Vikings
    49ers: Offensive to Native Americans >>

Adding in one:

Bills: totally offending to anyone in debt.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How did I miss this thread? Here's my list:

49ers: Offensive to Native Americans >>

Adding in one:

Bills: totally offending to anyone in debt. >>

Chargers: Offensive to those struck by lightning and to the Amish
  • Options
    Steelers is offensive to IronMan
  • Options
    buntbunt Posts: 625
    Dolphins - offensive to the tuna fish communicity as those cute big Dolphon fish take up needed space in the tuna nets
  • Options
    Most offensive of all? People like stown trying to make light of the real racial slur being used as a football team name.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    The Baltimore Orioles is an offensive name to those that can't spell and believe in their mind that they have the right to not be offended while offending the sensibilities of normal thinking humans .---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell