Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Older Mantle Autograph Help Please.....

Hi guys, hope all is well. Sister-in-law who runs estate sales has a client that is selling this Mantle book with autograph. Looking for opinions and possible price she can ask for. As always, thanks. Doug

Comments

• Options
    My opinion...not even close. As far as how much to ask, anything you want really.
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    The autograph is an early one of Mantle and very well may be authentic. In order for your SIL client to maximize any value, she'd have to get it authenticated (PSA/DNA or JSA) and at that point she could probably ask $400-$500 IMO (modern books signed by Mantle go for half of that).

Good Luck

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Ironman may be right.
    Mantle's auto in his very early years is totaly different than later.
    To me it looks real. Auto is also very clear. Maybe done at a book signing...certainly not 'on the run.'

Having "to ted" does detract from the value.
    Possible condition of the book may also.

On the book.....it's from 1953 so book/auto match nicely. Book is also missing the paper cover.

from watching antiques roadshow, pawnstars......that might reduce book value by 1/2 alone.

Most people would rather have auto on a ball, 8 x 10, card, or bat...something along those lines.

How would you display a book? Keep it open?

I am not an expert on pricing. However very older auto's are considerably scarcer as would an auto on his book.

There are a few on sale. Saw one at Heritage auctions. Here's an ebay link. Probstein has one with cover in worse condition..asking $250

Mantle book
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    It is authentic the book came out in 1956 and would have been signed shortly after its release, an example recently that compares well is from the Fred Hall collection in the last r&r auctions that was signed in the 50's as well as a copy Baumans rare books sold and they stand 100% behind thiere products. This is an extremely nice piece, considering it is without the dust jacket, and personalized it does retract from the value but I would ask $750 and take the first $550 somebody offered if those numbers don't carry fees attached to them.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, not sure about the first one but oh well. It is the '56 edition and I figured w/o the dust cover and being personalized would take it down a bit. I do think I need to get it authenticated also. Appreciate it. Doug
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    if any wives of guys named Ted are viewing this, it's almost Christmas. image
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if any wives of guys named Ted are viewing this, it's almost Christmas. image >>

My thoughts exactly. Two Ted's battling for it in an auction would be even better. image
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    You can probably locate a copy of that book somewhere to switch in the dustjacket.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Check this out:

LINKY
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you have the most desirable Mantle auto out there!

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    authentic

common sense would tell you a scammer WOULDN'T go through the trouble of ALSO forging a personalized message in same hand, thus reducing the overall value and demand of the autograph
  • Options
    PM sent
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can probably locate a copy of that book somewhere to switch in the dustjacket. >>

I don't think the majority of the population of people interested in this early autograph are going to care less about the dust jacket (and if they do, let them acquire it at their expense).

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hey Doug ... thanks to that LINK by Stingray, yours looks very much like the one in Photo 2. Best of luck. GREAT AUTO!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I'd like it better if it had the "e" in the first name...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I love it!
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>authentic

common sense would tell you a scammer WOULDN'T go through the trouble of ALSO forging a personalized message in same hand, thus reducing the overall value and demand of the autograph >>

Some won't, but some will. It's a good way to make a a forgery seem authentic. Here's an example:
    http://www.collectorscorner.com/marketnews/?name=cardsmarketnews45