Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best way to pass a few of your favorites through TSA at airport??

Without letting them out of your sight or control??

Ed

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My brother travels a lot and sometimes carries a few valuable coins with him (as a carry-on).

When he's checked in at the metal detector, he's questioned about the box of coins and they say they'll have to go through them.

He says "OK, but I'd like to request a private room" (so no other passengers or public sees what he has) and he's always been granted a private room where the security guard inspects his box of coins in his presence.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    They have to be checked one way or another. No way around that.

At the x-Ray machine take out your box of coins and put them in a separate bin. If they pass through without incident on the other side quickly put them away in your bag and go on your merry way. If they get stopped for secondary screening then ask for a private inspection by discreetly mentioning that you are carrying fragile valuables. Ask for a supervisor to handle your coins if that makes you feel more comfortable. Remember if you haven't completely passed through security you won't be allowed to personally handle your belongings.

I do this at least 100 times per year and have for over a decade and I can count on one hand the number of times procedures weren't conducted to my satisfaction. You will be fine as will your coins.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I've always put my coins in the bottom pockets of my laptop bag. The laptop comes out, as always, and the bag goes through the xray machine. I've never been stopped for secondary screening.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You hold the bag with the coins in your hand, and simply convey to the nearest TSA person you want this "privately screened." They have to accommodate, and they have special areas out of the public purview.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just put them in a carry on suitcase. i've never been asked about them.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should also be familiar with the requirements of your private insurance before you plan a strategy.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    If you only have a few how about putting them in button-down or zipper patch pockets on your thigh or lower on your leg??

I used to do this, but as the metal detectors became more sensitive once I was stopped and forced to put them in the keys & change basket (in very plain sight). They then disappeared into the tunnel scanner.

Never again !!
    Ed
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you only have a few how about putting them in button-down or zipper patch pockets on your thigh or lower on your leg??

I used to do this, but as the metal detectors became more sensitive once I was stopped and forced to put them in the keys & change basket (in very plain sight). They then disappeared into the tunnel scanner.

Never again !! >>

It's even easier if there are only a few coins. Put them in an enclosed pocket or stick them in your carry-on bag while your bag goes through the x-ray. Coins get stopped not because of shape but because of density.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I get flagged, I ask for the private room for inspection. Never had an issue or problem.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try and get the coins to be vertical through the scan, it they can see through them you rarely get a secondary check. If they coins are stacked on top of each other you are more likely to get pulled over, or at least that is what TSA told me once.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a business card with the request for a private screening written on the back. That way, if they ask, I pull out the card and never have to say anything that anyone can overhear.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect things have changed. I used to fly to the Michigan State Winter Show. I did the usual private screening. Well since I had a friend who had premeir status I was the 3rd to board the plane....NOT! They pulled me over and demanded to inspect my carry on....in front of everyone boarding the plane! I haven't been on a plane since!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had a problem..... I just put the coins in my carry on.... once they pulled it for a hands on check..but it was due to a couple of small circuit boards (work related) that I was carrying. Of course, I never carried a large amount of coins..that would be different. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    running while yelling "death to Americans"
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ image

Or just tell them you're a coin geek. They look at me and say, "move along"
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I get flagged, I ask for the private room for inspection. Never had an issue or problem. >>

This.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the x-Ray machine take out your box of coins and put them in a separate bin.

I would not do this. It makes it more likely that someone will take the box. I'd rather leave the box of coins in a locked carry-on bag. If a search is necessary, then you can ask for a private search.

The big risk these days, as I see it, is when you're asked by TSA to enter a full body screener with your back to your luggage.

Another risk is when you are forced to check larger pieces of hand luggage at the boarding gate. (This can happen if you're one of the last people on a full flight, or routinely on small planes.) Be sure that your coin bag will fit under the seat in front of you.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I have never travelled with coins in my possession, but if I had to I always thought I might carry them in a briefcase that I have handcuffed to my wrist, while wearing a dark suit and dark sunglasses. I wonder what the TSA agents would think of that?
    Matt
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep the coins in a locked carry on.
    Make sure this carry on is your last item through the x-ray (shoes, liquids, etc. go through first).
    Stay with this bag until it goes in the x-ray machine, then go through the body scanner. The coins will be x-ray'd while you're in the scanner, which is the only 5-10 seconds you can't pay 100% attention. Being in your last bag/tray, they won't be sitting alone on the other side of the x-ray like the liquids that went through first.
    If they ask what's inside, that's when you ask for a private screening. I get pulled aside less than 25% of the time.

Almost always simple and painless.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you only have a few how about putting them in button-down or zipper patch pockets on your thigh or lower on your leg?? >>

When was the last time you flew? 1967? You can't leave anything in your pockets, let alone metal objects.

Put them in a locked carry-on and ask for a private screening if you get flagged when they go through the X-ray machine.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stash them UNDER your gun.
    They'll hardly be noticed.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope that the many knowledgeable responses here have allayed your fears of taking valuables on a flight. There really is no reason for undue concern, particularly if you heed the advice given here, particularly as it relates to requesting a private screening if the TSA asks to inspect the contents of your carry-on. I am not a dealer, but I frequently carry coins with me to shows for 'show and tell', and almost always have newps with me on my return. On only two occasions has the TSA asked to inspect my carry-on, and both times it was conducted discretely, quickly (I was not delayed to my flight), and very professionally. The TSA is accustomed to this, and it is part of their daily routine, particularly at coin show cities.

When sending your carry-on with the coins through the scanner, always be sure to place it on the scanner last, after your other items, and to the extent possible, keep your eyes on it at all times. There is an alleged scam where two individuals pick you out as a target and get into the security line ahead of you. One goes through without problem, and ends up on the other side of the scanner. The second individual is delayed (by design) with some metal item in his pocket that is picked up by the scanner. By this time you have been instructed to place your carry-on on the scanner, and it has proceeded through the scanner and out of your reach or sight. While you are held up by the idiot with the hubcap in his pocket, your carry-on is grabbed by the first individual and is gone.

With his in mind, I once had a very interesting experience at an airport which reinstated my faith in the TSA. I was once delayed at the scanner by an inexperienced traveler in front of me, after I was instructed to place my carry-on containing coins on the conveyor belt. When I expressed apprehension at being out of contact with my carry-on, a young woman TSA employee nodded at me knowingly, and repeated the instruction to place my carry-on on the scanner. When I finally arrived at the other end of the scanner I spotted the same young woman leaning on my carry-on, with her arms crossed atop the case, and smiling at me. She stated "No one was going to get this case but you". I thanked her, but then repeated my general concern about loosing sight of my carry-on (without ever divulging the contents). She acknowledged my concern, but pointed out that if anyone had grabbed my case, he would be inside a very secure area, with lots of video cameras, security personnel, and TSA officers, and would be very unlikely to get away with it.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Five years ago I moved about as far as you can and still be in the USA. Had to go thru security 4 times. Most of the cheaper poundage went in the shipping container but I brought 4 vinyl pages of better coins in 2x2's in a carry on flexible type briefcase. When all the little round metal objects show up on the x-ray they could open up the bag and see what it was without removing them. No problems. There are also vinyl pages that have 4 pockets that may work with slabs.

I have also seen people warn about carrying large amounts of cash but had no problem. Since we had sold 2 vehicles at the last moment plus cashed out a small checking account I had a lot of cash. I had a big roll of 100's in my pocket, another roll in the carry-on, my wallet was stuffed and my wife had another wad in her purse. Nobody gave a second glance at the cash or the coins.

I WAS freaked out the whole time but made it ok.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I've travelled with significantly valuable coins many times. I simply tell the screener quietly that I have valuable coins and as everyone else mentioned, asked for a private screening. Numerous times the screeners would be asking me all kinds of questions about them when in the room.

The most asked question..."How much is that one?" ANSWER: $50. image
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    How many coins are you planning to move?

I have traveled few times to Italy with 10/20 coins (from ASE to UHR), not slabbed.
    If they fit, I keep them in the inner pocket in my coat, zip locked. Never had any TSA agent questioning them.
    Nor they asked to check the couple of rolls I had in my back pack.

Different thing if you have the chinese stress relief balls in your carry-on package!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file