Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1845 Braided Hair Cent Grade and opinions (my son found this one)

Well my son found this one and I think he did well on it but we will see what you all think. He wants to see what you all have to say about it, so thank you in advance. Oh he said it is a VF40 or better looking at the pics on PCGS. so let him know what you think.

Comments

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has details of a strong fine, and claims to VF. It would be downgraded by the obverse scratches, and would probably "genuine" grade if submitted.
  • Options
    He said cool I told you so. He picked it up for $17.00
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prospects for this is not very good. It has some nasty scratches on the obverse so I'm afraid it will genuine for this reason. Still a nice piece for the coin album.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    It Is better than any large cent I own
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharpness of a Fine, but cleaned and re-colored with a couple of grade lowering scratches. The coin not not get a grade if it were to be submitted.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    it is going into his coin book so it is not going to be graded. I feel it is worth the $17.00 that was paid for it. as for recoloring I don't know how to determine this. He got the coin out of the half price bin at the coin shop we go to and he likes it so thats what is important. Would putting the coin in acetone be considered cleaning the coin because we did do that as the coin was covered in alot of gunk that the acetone took off.
  • Options
    It might be the photo, but the lighter, dull orange areas on the coin are indicators of an unoriginal surface. The darker areas have a "looks like something has rubbed on it" look. Normally acetone should not remove natural toning unless you rub the surfaces with it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    well that probably did happen as I let him treat it (not clean lol) and it was his first time and he wanted to do it on his own. yep I just asked he did rub nit when he rinsed it so there it is lol . It is going in his book so it is ok for now unless he wants to trade it I will make sure he states it was cleaned. But almost all coins unless straight off the press have been cleaned in my opinion.
  • Options
    Give a few years and it might re-tone naturally.
  • Options
    maybe a sulfur envelope for a year or so or in a sealed container with a hot egg yolk
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I there a chance that this coin is a broadstrike??
  • Options
    It looks pretty much like the pics on PCGS so probably not.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I there a chance that this coin is a broadstrike?? >>

Not a mint error image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your opinions
  • Options
    fine details with some environmental problems and scratches on the front.
    Successful business with: savoyspecial,Cazkaboom,stone,Brol,robkool,nibanny,AUandAG,mdkuom,REALGATOR,jimineez1,theump, indeetlib,mariner67,PlatinumDuck,nags,tlake22,guitarwes

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Braodstruck - these are much wider rims than I am used to seeing on Late Dates -!!
  • Options
    Thank you Joe as I am not an avid collector of these is there any extra value for the possible broad strike?
  • Options
  • Options
    lost -- there would be some premium but not sure how much - I sent the images to a seasoned Late Date collector to get his opinion. The piece just does not look normal to me so not sure what is going on - perhaps nothing - we shall see.

• Options
    ok let me know this coin is really interesting to my son he likes it and is looking stuff up on it also it is good for him.
  • Options
    here are some other pics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file