Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Man Opens Old Safe, Discovers Gold Coins

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Sweet!!!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    $2.5 millon and no one missed them image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Outstanding. Wonder what the agreement was?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see that the family got the coins back, but a reward should be given to the scrap dealer.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The realtor I know in Colorado told me that a number of years ago (30+) he represented a guy who bought an old, run down home in Denver's 5 Points neighborhood (with homes over 100 years old and an area which has gone down hill for years) for the princely sum of $60,000.00. The buyer bought the home to fix it up and resell it. After he closed on the purcahse and started the demo/rehab process he ended up finding old currency and old gold and silver coins hidden in duct work present in the home. The total value of the old currency and the gold and silver coins (do not know if it was face value; or if it was numismatic and/or bullion value) was $60,000.00.

So if you have to sell a parent's home or the home of another relative or friend who has lived in the home for decades, make sure that a detailed inspection of the nooks and crannies is done before the close of the sale. You never know what has been hidden away.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....what a thrill.... have seen old safe's for sale - years ago, one that had not been opened, combination lost. A friend bought it and found forty two silver dollars inside (Morgans). Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope the man posts here so we can play "guess the grades"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOLY CARP!!!!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>Honest people like this should get a reasonable reward >>

We would hope
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a guy who bought an old building with a pretty good sized bank safe in it.

The combinartion was lost and the lore that came with the building insisted the safe was empty.

So far as I know he never opened it and sold it with the building and the story.

I'd have opened it even if it had to be ruined.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jack • 2 hours 32 minutes ago
    My Grandfather was hired to plow a field one time and his horse drawn plow hit something pretty hard. He discovered he had hit a buried wooden keg and it was filled with $2.50 gold pieces! The family that owned the land gave gave him one as a reward. He ended up putting it on the end of his gold pocket watch chain, as a fob. I have the watch now, it means a lot to me and makes me very proud of him when I look at it.
    8 Replies >>

Oh the humanity! A fob??!!!!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Years ago I was on a walk-thru in a large old building that was getting a major rehab. On the first floor was a bank that had closed down. There were two guys in the room with the safety deposit boxes and they were drilling out the locks on the ones not already opened. I thought it was a little risky having just two people doing this but I really wanted to just sit there and watch all day to see what came out.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file