Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Re-engraved chain cents are sad.

I wonder when it was fashionable to do this. Sheldon mentions it in Penny Whimsy so its obviously prior to the 40s and I doubt anyone would do it now. But, they are just sad to see.

Here is a raw example, the seller doesn't mention its reengraved but its pretty obvious.

Ebay Link

Comments

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad example for what it is. Hard to say valuewise?? $2500
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that is sad when the coin grades VG or better and someone decided to enhance the look by restoring the hair detail. With a very low grade piece like this one, it is not that big of a deal IMO although it definitely should be marked as such when it is offered for sale.

The first Chain cent I ever owned was an S-1 that had had a hard life. There was enough left on the reverse to tell that it was in S-1, but the obverse with sort of a shadow with an outline of Ms. Liberty. The date had been enhanced to make a shadowy "1793" which went with the rest of the piece.

I sold it at one of the early EAC shows that was held in the New York City area for $450 in the mid 1970s. A couple dealers in the room told me that they wish that they had had a shot at it, and the amount I received so I probably sold it too cheap.

As for when this sort of work was done, my sense is the 1800s up until the early 1900s when it became less acceptable. It was not a good thing when Sheldon published his first large cent book in 1948.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a bad example for what it is. Hard to say valuewise?? $2500 >>

-I agree with your evaluation but also think it'll sell for a bit more.

-There was a Chain cent that had the hair detailed to such an amazing extent it was almost art.

-I suppose a century from now it is possible collectors will look at Hobo nickels as "sad".

peacockcoins

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I think thats probably about right. Although I would rather have a problem free PO1 or FR2 for that price.
  • Options

<< <i>

-I agree with your evaluation but also think it'll sell for a bit more.

-There was a Chain cent that had the hair detailed to such an amazing extent it was almost art.

-I suppose a century from now it is possible collectors will look at Hobo nickels as "sad". >>

Nickels will never be as rare or historic as a chain cent.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping)."

???
  • Options
    Someone must have messaged him. It's been taken down.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling 2 coins and 37 quilts.
    Coins are 'pick-up' at Pigeon Forge, Tenn.
    Quilts are shipped from West Palm Beach, Fla.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call it a hunch, but IMO the listing was created as cheap advertising to fish for an off-eBay offer...and it worked.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Here is another one that has been on ebay for ages.

Re-engraved Chain
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is another one that has been on ebay for ages.

Re-engraved Chain >>

That one is certified genuine.
  • Options
    Should be certified "ugly"
  • Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Re-engraved Chain >>

Interesting work. Appears just slightly more like a chain cent than a hobo nickel does to a buffalo.

EC
  • Options
    Reminds me of this famous restoration job.

• Options

<< <i>Should be certified "ugly" >>

That one is pretty bad, but at least it's not going to fool anyone who is familiar with the original design.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Re-engraved Chain >>

This one's actually pretty interesting. It looks like the engraving is in the style of the "Smith Counterfeits" as here. Mr. Smith usually engraved Wreath Cents and 1794's, I don't know that I've seen a Chain Cent attributed to him. It's neat that the re-engraved face and hair on this Chain looks much more like a Wreath Cent than the host coin.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping)."

??? >>

more then likely they offer it but at a huge rate. who knows for sure
  • Options
    That one's on par with a hobo nickel.

It should be certified "ruined."
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>That one's on par with a hobo nickel.

It should be certified "ruined." >>

Yes, but it is still made of the original metal that was process through the first U.S. mint, late February or March of 1793. Such things draw my interest as strange as it seems.

At a recent EAC auction there was a raw 1793 S-1 large cent for sale. All of the design was sharp and clear, the surfaces were uniformly porous. As such the coin would never make it into anything but a "genuine" holder, and it might have been restored a little.

Still the romance of the thing grabbed me, and bidding actually darted through my mind. Some other people felt the same way because it sold for $16,000.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Reminds me of this famous restoration job.

image >>

I can do it for half price my friend. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

Re-engraved Chain >>

That was once my coin! image
    I sold it to upgrade to a G6. That g6 has been sold and is funding a higher grade example.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>

Re-engraved Chain >>

I sold it to upgrade to a G6. That g6 has been sold and is funding a higher grade example. >>

Knowing how awesome your collection is, I am surprised you ever owned that monstrosity! image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Re-engraved Chain >>

I sold it to upgrade to a G6. That g6 has been sold and is funding a higher grade example. >>

Knowing how awesome your collection is, I am surprised you ever owned that monstrosity! image >>

Everyone starts somewhere image
    I'm sure Davinci only drew stick figures when he was in diapers.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I like the chain cent Ankur use to own that was re-engraved and would not mine owning it. So there!!image
  • Options

<< <i>I like the chain cent Ankur use to own that was re-engraved and would not mine owning it. So there!!image >>

Id rather have the one he owns now!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file