Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A question for the Eisenhower Dollar aficionados

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
Could someone tell me why this 1973-S Proof sold for $33 rather than $9 or $10? It's my auction and I'm just curious.
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it's the 40% silver version and a scarcer date coin as such. Your piece brought what it's worth.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you missed it the Gray Sheet bid/ask on the 1973-S Brown Ike as gone up to $27/$29. If the coin has not gotten that ugly haze on it that has messed up more than its share of Brown Ike dolars, the coin is probably worth $33..
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    in all honesty I think the coin closed a little low. Its a very nice Brown Ike and in a desirable holder. Many of us match up the coin look and grade and holder version in a collection of such a short series , that aspect will get more activity as well.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a time when these were selling for close to $150. Raw. Due to the low mintage and the hype surrounding that low mintage.

Today, you'd be hard pressed to find one in a brown box for $29.95 at even the smallest of coin shows as the mintage still holds an attraction to some collectors.

Unlike the 71-S with all its varieties, the 72-S with its blue and green hazing and the 74-S with all its magical colors, the 73-S is still the king of the 40% Silver Proof IKE's.

Of course, not to mention the fact that the coin cold was graded before the CAM and DCAM attributions were made by any of the TPG's. I'd also bet that the coin is undergraded by at least 3 points.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a time when these were selling for close to $150. Raw. Due to the low mintage and the hype surrounding that low mintage. >>

There was a time when they were on the Gray Sheet at well over $200 in the late 1970s. I sold one to a dealer for $175. When I offered it him he didn't want it, but when I offered it to him for $175 he took it because "bid" was over $225. In my mind the thing was massively over priced, I was happy to take more than 20% off "bid."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There was a time when these were selling for close to $150. Raw. Due to the low mintage and the hype surrounding that low mintage. >>

There was a time when they were on the Gray Sheet at well over $200 in the late 1970s. I sold one to a dealer for $175. When I offered it him he didn't want it, but when I offered it to him for $175 he took it because "bid" was over $225. In my mind the thing was massively over priced, I was happy to take more than 20% off "bid." >>

Part of the hype was that no business strike Ikes were made for circulation in 1973.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, I didn't even know these go for a premium! I must have 6 or 7 I bought for less than $10 each lol. I didn't start paying attention to proof Ikes until recently. >>

I find it difficult to believe that you paid less than $10 for a 1973-S 40% Silver Proof IKE.

CnClad Proof, yes. 40% Silver Business Strike, yes. 40% Silver Proof, no.

You can't even find them on eBay for less than $20.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    utahcoinshop in Keller, Texas? Just wonderin'.
  • Options
    Since we're talking 73-S Silver Ike's how about this one in government plastic.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Great Ike , those brown packs develop some real nice color sometimes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file