Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What classic, non-bullion related, US coin series is MOST dependent on "plastic" for its v

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
What series and why?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Trade Dollars because of counterfeiting.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Trade and seated dollars because they are so often fake and messed with.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very high grade (PR-70 or MS-67 or better) modern coins. In the most extreme case a raw modern business strike cent might be worth $100 (generous estimate) based upon the speculation that it might grade MS-70. Once it has made MS-70 such items have brought as much as $15,000.

The most extreme instance was that 1963 cent from years ago that was PR-70, Ultra Cameo. Unfortunately the coin had turned while it was in the holder and was now spotted. In my opinion it was worth $10 with a tailwind outside the holder. It didn't matter. The piece got a bid with the buyers' fee of over $40,000 at auction.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I would agree with Bill.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want this thread to turn into another modern-bashing thread (no matter how much moderns deserve it) so let's limit it to series that started no later than 1916.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw me in to the Trade dollar camp. Even the slabs on those are counterfieted heavily.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    Though I like Bill's answer, it seems to fall outside the specifications of the question.

As such, I'd say matte proof lincoln cents or full head SLQs.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything with strike, color or finish designations.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most any classic , non-bullion U.S. coin (not series), on the cusp of the next grade up is typically dependent on the plastic for it's value, if that makes sense. It's the cream of the crop that started this. Isn't it ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Though I like Bill's answer, it seems to fall outside the specifications of the question.

As such, I'd say matte proof lincoln cents or full head SLQs. >>

Raw early large cents have all over Standing Liberty quarters when it comes to selling for significant prices as raw coins. The is a very large market for them as evidenced by the inventories offered by the major dealers.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Other than high grade moderns the what I call semi-modern issues that are dependent on specific designations to ensure value. Coins like Roosevelt Dimes, Jefferson Nickels and Franklin Halves.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very high grade (PR-70 or MS-67 or better) modern coins. In the most extreme case a raw modern business strike cent might be worth $100 (generous estimate) based upon the speculation that it might grade MS-70. Once it has made MS-70 such items have brought as much as $15,000.

The most extreme instance was that 1963 cent from years ago that was PR-70, Ultra Cameo. Unfortunately the coin had turned while it was in the holder and was now spotted. In my opinion it was worth $10 with a tailwind outside the holder. It didn't matter. The piece got a bid with the buyers' fee of over $40,000 at auction. >>

And there was the $15k 2003 MS70 cent that later spotted and downgraded to an $85 MS69.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file