Options

1976 Yamakatsu All Japan Pro Wrestling - Checklist

2»

Comments

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Do you have a scan of the purple background? >>

There is a picture on the original post.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Do you have a scan of the purple background? >>

There is a picture on the original post. >>

Awesome!

This is a cool set!
  • Options
    Other than the 2 Andres in the 1974 set, this set definitely has more star power.
  • Options

<< <i>Other than the 2 Andres in the 1974 set, this set definitely has more star power. >>

I really like the Jack Bricoe card with the NWA belt.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Other than the 2 Andres in the 1974 set, this set definitely has more star power. >>

I really like the Jack Bricoe card with the NWA belt. >>

I love that Brisco as well. There are a few great cards in the set for sure. I am happy to pick up the Harley Race that I did. That is my favorite Race card from the set. I would love to get the Terry Funk card with him in the chaps......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I was only really into wrestling from about Wrestlemania 1-V.. And only watched the WWF but heard about the road warriors, Ric flair and sting. That being said.. The 76 set has some nice rookies that were in that era. Harley race is the best one I think.. Especially because of his work outside of the wwf. Terry funk is another notable along with pedro morales. Pedro doesn't seem that popular but he was the first wwf triple crown. I know the name Jack brisco but don't remember seeing him wrestle. The only people I have heard of in the 74 set are andre of course... and inoki. That Harley race card is the key card imo though
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>I was only really into wrestling from about Wrestlemania 1-V.. And only watched the WWF but heard about the road warriors, Ric flair and sting. That being said.. The 76 set has some nice rookies that were in that era. Harley race is the best one I think.. Especially because of his work outside of the wwf. Terry funk is another notable along with pedro morales. Pedro doesn't seem that popular but he was the first wwf triple crown. I know the name Jack brisco but don't remember seeing him wrestle. The only people I have heard of in the 74 set are andre of course... and inoki. That Harley race card is the key card imo though >>

The Harley Race is sweet. Rob brought the one that recently sold to my attention so I didn't bid out of courtesy but I would love to have one for sure.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I was only really into wrestling from about Wrestlemania 1-V.. And only watched the WWF but heard about the road warriors, Ric flair and sting. That being said.. The 76 set has some nice rookies that were in that era. Harley race is the best one I think.. Especially because of his work outside of the wwf. Terry funk is another notable along with pedro morales. Pedro doesn't seem that popular but he was the first wwf triple crown. I know the name Jack brisco but don't remember seeing him wrestle. The only people I have heard of in the 74 set are andre of course... and inoki. That Harley race card is the key card imo though >>

The Harley Race is sweet. Rob brought the one that recently sold to my attention so I didn't bid out of courtesy but I would love to have one for sure. >>

I'm excited that you are grading that Sheik right away. I hope it does well!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Good luck and it looks like it has the potential to be the highest graded. WCK, what background is the one you have graded?
  • Options

<< <i>The Japanese sellers do such a great job with packaging. >>

Indeed! I've recently bought several singles, lots and full sets from the seller you got that Sheik from and every one was superbly packaged. They arrived in a timely manner too. Usually within 7 days.
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck and it looks like it has the potential to be the highest graded. WCK, what background is the one you have graded? >>

When I looked at the Pop report the highest and only example graded was a PSA 3. It doesn't specify the version on any of them from what I can tell.

This should easily grade a PSA 6 or higher I believe.

• Options

<< <i>Good luck and it looks like it has the potential to be the highest graded. WCK, what background is the one you have graded? >>

Mine has the recolored background.
  • Options
    So the natural background DPeck has is the only one that has surfaced so far of that version.
  • Options

<< <i>So the natural background DPeck has is the only one that has surfaced so far of that version. >>

In your view is one more rare then the other in general for these sets?
  • Options
    I wish I had an answer for you. Some cards don't have any variations. When they come up for auction, you very rarely see both variations of a card at the same time. Either there were several print runs, or the the printing was done regionally and had different colors at the different factories. I wish I would have tracked auctions more closely along with the region and colors.
  • Options
    I did go back and check a few completed auctions. All the cards that I saw were the purple background, so at least in the case the natural background seems to be the harder of the two to get.
  • Options
    I picked up a small lot of these and finally have an image of Card #23. Updated original post.

Only 4 left for me to get to have the basic set complete.
  • Options
    Added #7b and 39b.
  • Options
    I have the image of card #17 that you can end up adding to the checklist. I am trying to plug away on this set too. Would be stoked to have this one complete.
  • Options
    I have an image of it as well, but if you have the actual scan that be awesome. My image has a logo covering part of it.

This will be a tough one to complete.
  • Options
    Added #14b Green Background to the checklist.
  • Options

<< <i>I have an image of it as well, but if you have the actual scan that be awesome. My image has a logo covering part of it.

This will be a tough one to complete. >>

I am at 57.5% complete with this set right now and have some at PSA now so that percentage will be going up. I need to run some numbers and see how many away that I am for the moment. Thanks for bringing this set to my attention Sumo. I will be thrilled to have this one complete and this set will reside in my PC for a long, long time.
  • Options
    It's been about a year since I've had any updates to the checklist. Was able to add 6b and 32b Winner Stamps to the checklist today.
  • Options
    Has psa started grading the different variations yet?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    I don't think so unfortunatly.
  • Options
    I have 80% of this set graded and should have a few more raw but progress is slow. If you have any duplicates around let me know, as I would feel pretty special putting together this beast of a set.
  • Options
    I'll definitely let you know. I am 3 or 4 away. The cards came up a few weeks ago, but for an astronomical price in Japan....imagine it was a foreign collector snagging them. The search continues.
  • Options
    How many were in the lot?
  • Options
    15 or 20 I believe.
  • Options
    Wow, what kind of price tag on that lot? That would have been a great lot depending on the condition.
  • Options
    It went for over $400 or so.
  • Options

I am looking through this set and might have a deal with a collecting friend to get a Dory Funk that I need. I have a few raw in my collection that will be going to PSA really soon. This leaves me only three cards away with those being 32, 33, and 37 from having the 40 card set in hand with most of those graded (80%). I may have missed one or two of those that i need on ebay over the past couple of years by forgetting about the auction at the ending, but can see the finish line in sight today. I will be excited to have this set slabbed although I will be needing some upgrades. The rarity of this set had me sending in cards of any condition initially. I hope that 2017 will be kind to me and I can get this finished. My goal will be to have this one done for the 2017 set registry awards. This may be a bit ambitious :-)

• Options

After more than three years chasing this set, I was finally able to finish it with card #40, Harley Race. It is a blazer too! I was also able to upgrade a few of my singles from the set.

• Options

Yes, this Harley with the natural background is one of my favorite cards. Congrats.....still need a few more for me to get there.

• Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    Yes, this Harley with the natural background is one of my favorite cards. Congrats.....still need a few more for me to get there.

Thanks. Hopefully I can pick away at the master set as well. These things are tough to find.

• Options

I do not remember the white part near his elbow on one of the cards that I had of him? Condition of the card looks great though for this issue.

• Options

I have graded all the 1976s that I had raw.....I am going to be up to 90% complete and only four to go once the registry adds my card to my set. I do have one of the cards raw but it is a beater and hoping not to grade it since it is not a star. This will be one of my favorite sets when I get this one done.

• Options

One of my regular customers knows that I am trying to complete this set and gave me card number #32 in the mail today. I now need just three cards to complete this set. I am amazed by the gesture of a paying customer! I am good to him but of course I'll have to do something to treat him in the near future.

• Options

Awesome. This was one of the most difficult sets I've completed.

• Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    I have 80% of this set graded and should have a few more raw but progress is slow. If you have any duplicates around let me know, as I would feel pretty special putting together this beast of a set.

It took me three years but I was able to finish this set last week and now have all the cards. The last card will have to go to Newport Beach to complete my registered set. Whew!

• Options

These Yamakatsu sets were a lot of fun discovering and convincing PSA to grade. Sumo was a huge help in making that happen. Love the 74 Andre card.

• Options

Now you have to chase the master sets!

• Options

I was never a set collector. I like the winner stamp Andre though

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    I was never a set collector. I like the winner stamp Andre though

I have both Andres with a winner stamp and a 1981 Marusho Hulk Hogan with a winner stamp too!

• Options

These Marusho mini cards need to make their way into slabs.

• Options

Sweet. Post pics of the Andre and Hogan when you have a chance. Great cards

• Options

I'm starting to populate the Trading Card Database with scans from this set. I am close to being able to modify the checklist as well as there are some corrections I need to make.

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    I'm starting to populate the Trading Card Database with scans from this set. I am close to being able to modify the checklist as well as there are some corrections I need to make.

This is such an amazing set. I love this one and believe it to be underrated. It may be discouraging to some to collect it as the process to complete it is long and difficult.

• Options

@wrestlingcardking said:

@SumoMenkoMan said:

This is such an amazing set. I love this one and believe it to be underrated. It may be discouraging to some to collect it as the process to complete it is long and difficult.

Definitely. There are 81 cards so far that I have identified in the set. Tough one for sure!