Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Don Mattingly - '84 Donruss

Mattingly's '84 Donruss - PSA 10 sold for $1,105.00 on eBay..........highest price it's ever sold for.

Comments

• Options
    Link?
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    LINKY

Dang...shoulda held on to mine a little longer. Sold several months ago for around $500.
  • Options
    over priced and lets see if they actually pay for it
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    The Pop is 106.
  • Options
    When collector's overpay for a more modern 10 like that why don't they ever take into consideration the hundreds and hundreds of unopened on the market of that product. This isn't a modern card with limited production if the pop report is 106 you may as well double or triple it due to the abundance of 84 donruss wax still around. I loved card as a kid, it fuel for the hobby in the mid eighties and is kind if iconic but not on a four figure level.
  • Options

<< <i>When collector's overpay for a more modern 10 like that why don't they ever take into consideration the hundreds and hundreds of unopened on the market of that product. This isn't a modern card with limited production if the pop report is 106 you may as well double or triple it due to the abundance of 84 donruss wax still around. I loved card as a kid, it fuel for the hobby in the mid eighties and is kind if iconic but not on a four figure level. >>

Part of the problem is the misconception that 84 Donruss is rare or short printed. Tons of unopened was boxes, cases and unopened sets still around. Just a matter of time before they are busted and the pops go up.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention, 10 today, 9 tomorrow, 8 some other day, 10 the next time...and so forth.

Can you imagine picking your wife based on the opinion of one stranger? lol.

"Hey, this girl is a 10."

"Ok. I will marry her."

That is all you are doing is paying $1,000 for a guys opinion, an opinion that is ever changing and inconsistent to boot.
  • Options

<< <i>Not to mention, 10 today, 9 tomorrow, 8 some other day, 10 the next time...and so forth.

Can you imagine picking your wife based on the opinion of one stranger? lol.

"Hey, this girl is a 10."

"Ok. I will marry her."

That is all you are doing is paying $1,000 for a guys opinion, an opinion that is ever changing and inconsistent to boot. >>

I picked up a PSA 8 wife, but I thought she was undergraded so I cracked her out and now enjoy her raw.

Wait....
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the opinion cost around 5 or 6 bucks, so the perception is worth an additional 1100.

who's to say that card stands a chance of being in a BVG Gem holder some day? it looks darn near perfect in the scans.

so a quantum leap in value is still not out of the question and it may have been underpriced.
  • Options

<< <i> I picked up a PSA 8 wife, but I thought she was undergraded so I cracked her out and now enjoy her raw.

Wait.... >>

You sir are now the King of the Interwebs.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    This is an iconic rookie card from one of the most loved players of that decade. Now that more people (like myself) who started collecting in the 80s are revisiting the hobby with more expendable income (versus the weekly allowance I was using when this card came out) - look for prices on PSA 10s of the key rookie cards to continue to climb.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I owned the only BGS 10 Mattingly 1984 Donruss for a while. Really enjoyed that card, even though I'm not a big Mattingly fan. It just seems that BGS is starting to give out 10s the way they used to give out 9.5s. I figured the novelty could be lost. That said, it didn't stop my from dropping $2K on a 1983 Topps Gwynn BGS 10. Pop 6 out of 5000+ graded. My favorite player. But back to the Mattingly, it is arguably the most iconic card of the 1980s, short of the Griffey UD.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    On the flip side, that is a very low POP compared to the total packs that have been opened. I can guarantee there aren't as many packs left versus what has been opened. At best there may be a total of 20 PSA 10s left in unopened. This card is iconic and will continue to climb!
  • Options
    I was around for, worked in a card shop during the hobby boom and at the height of this cards popularity but its still a Rookie card of a non-hall of famer (likely never to be one) that still resides in large quantities of unopened material that's not really in question is it? Maybe I just think there's more 84 Donruss unopened than other board members?
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was around for, worked in a card shop during the hobby boom and at the height of this cards popularity but its still a Rookie card of a non-hall of famer (likely never to be one) that still resides in large quantities of unopened material that's not really in question is it? Maybe I just think there's more 84 Donruss unopened than other board members? >>

I doubt there is a ton of 1984 Donruss unopened still out there. And even if there was, you have to remember that centering on 1984 Donruss is awful, so pulling a lot more 10s of this card in the future is still going to be tough.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I was around for, worked in a card shop during the hobby boom and at the height of this cards popularity but its still a Rookie card of a non-hall of famer (likely never to be one) that still resides in large quantities of unopened material that's not really in question is it? Maybe I just think there's more 84 Donruss unopened than other board members? >>

I doubt there is a ton of 1984 Donruss unopened still out there. And even if there was, you have to remember that centering on 1984 Donruss is awful, so pulling a lot more 10s of this card in the future is still going to be tough. >>

FACT: 1984 Donruss waxboxes are NOT plentiful. They are now 250.00 at BBCE and they only get them in a few at a time. I don't know how many are hoarded by collectors but it isn't truckloads.
    FACT: 1984 Donruss racks are definitely getting pricy and not available in large quantities. Again, who knows how much is stashed but it is not coming to market at low prices.
    FACT: A recent 1984 Donruss set case sold for a huge price and no others have popped up since.
    OPINION: The Mattingly may be over priced at its current pop and this auction is probably a blip that will release 1/2 dozen from private collections so the price will probably stabilize around 500-700. But who knows because...
    FACT: Prices paid for key cards/rookies throughout the 1970s have been doubling and tripling over the past couple years.
    OPINION: The current price increases are not a bubble but a price correction. If the cards continue to skyrocket then we can talk bubble. But a Brett rookie going from 500.00 to 1,500.00 in a PSA 9 is a correction.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    I can't speak to how much 84 Donruss unopened is still out there which is key, but I can tell you that in the last 2 years (give or take) the PSA 10 pop has been rising on this card faster than is has historically. I have a pop report printed out from 1/18/12, and at that time the PSA 10 pop was 81 versus 4362 total graded. One 10 for every 53.85 cards subbed. Today, the PSA 10 pop is 106 versus 4890 graded. So of the 528 cards graded since 1/18/12, 25 have received a 10. One for every 21.12 cards subbed. Maybe sellers with good eyes are ripping, and subbing more than they have before, or maybe graders are being easier on the card than they have in the past. Either way I don't get the spike in the prices realized for this card in recent months with the pop growing the way that it has in the past 2 years.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't speak to how much 84 Donruss unopened is still out there which is key, but I can tell you that in the last 2 years (give or take) the PSA 10 pop has been rising on this card faster than is has historically. I have a pop report printed out from 1/18/12, and at that time the PSA 10 pop was 81 versus 4362 total graded. One 10 for every 53.85 cards subbed. Today, the PSA 10 pop is 106 versus 4890 graded. So of the 528 cards graded since 1/18/12, 25 have received a 10. One for every 21.12 cards subbed. Maybe sellers with good eyes are ripping, and subbing more than they have before, or maybe graders are being easier on the card than they have in the past. Either way I don't get the spike in the prices realized for this card in recent months with the pop growing the way that it has in the past 2 years. >>

That's great info, thanks for sharing it. Do you keep track of his 84 Fleer card as well?
  • Options
    Strong Centering on that example.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't speak to how much 84 Donruss unopened is still out there which is key, but I can tell you that in the last 2 years (give or take) the PSA 10 pop has been rising on this card faster than is has historically. I have a pop report printed out from 1/18/12, and at that time the PSA 10 pop was 81 versus 4362 total graded. One 10 for every 53.85 cards subbed. Today, the PSA 10 pop is 106 versus 4890 graded. So of the 528 cards graded since 1/18/12, 25 have received a 10. One for every 21.12 cards subbed. Maybe sellers with good eyes are ripping, and subbing more than they have before, or maybe graders are being easier on the card than they have in the past. Either way I don't get the spike in the prices realized for this card in recent months with the pop growing the way that it has in the past 2 years. >>

That's great info, thanks for sharing it. Do you keep track of his 84 Fleer card as well? >>

As of 1/18/12 the 84 Fleer pop for a PSA 10 was 170 of 2372 graded. One 10 for every 13.95 subbed. Today there are 217 10's out of 2684 graded. So of the 312 cards subbed since 1/18/12, and 47 of them have received a 10. One for every 6.6 cards subbed.

So 10's for the 84 Fleer have also been given out with more frequency (in the past 22 months), but the prices for this card haven't skyrocketed they way they have for the 84 Donruss.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>centering on 1984 Donruss is awful >>

Amen!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's great info, thanks for sharing it. Do you keep track of his 84 Fleer card as well? >>

As of 1/18/12 the 84 Fleer pop for a PSA 10 was 170 of 2372 graded. One 10 for every 13.95 subbed. Today there are 217 10's out of 2684 graded. So of the 312 cards subbed since 1/18/12, and 47 of them have received a 10. One for every 6.6 cards subbed.

So 10's for the 84 Fleer have also been given out with more frequency (in the past 22 months), but the prices for this card haven't skyrocketed they way they have for the 84 Donruss. >>

Thanks for sharing the info. It provides an interesting perspective on things.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

So 10's for the 84 Fleer have also been given out with more frequency (in the past 22 months), but the prices for this card haven't skyrocketed they way they have for the 84 Donruss. >>

Thanks for sharing the info. It provides an interesting perspective on things. >>

I suspect there is an alternative explanation as well - when a card receives a hammer price (especially cards like this) many collectors go through their strong 9s and start sending them in for review. So I am sure a percentage of the new Mattingly DR 10s are bumps after the recent price increases. This happens more often than you might suspect.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I don't get it. Give me that PSA 9 Mini Brett for the same price any day of the week.
    I too collected in the mid to late 80's when the 84D Mattingly was iconic and untouchable for a guy like me. It carried the hobby and I definitely get that it's an iconic card, but investing in these high grade PSA singles has more to do with what's still out there than the current. The Mattingly POP 10's will continue to slowly increase and hit 200 probably next year. The 1970's 9's are for the most part capped out. I don't see the 1K sustaining
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 10 Mattingly

It looks like the price on this card is slowly correcting. Every sale since the highest of the year has been modestly lower. If this card was a stock it is now in bear market territory correcting over 20% from the yearly high.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I picked up a PSA 8 wife, but I thought she was undergraded so I cracked her out and now enjoy her raw.

Wait.... >>

You sir are now the King of the Interwebs. >>

+1 LOL
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't someone on this board have a bank of the 1984 D Mattingly PSA 10? I recall there was somebody buying these cards up when it was in the $300-$500 range. I want to say he had around 30 at the time.
    Mike
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have like 7 of them. Now just one. I wound up getting addicted to the much tougher Tiffany RC PSA 10, though the 84D will always be equally iconic to me, having grown up in the 80s. Both are great cards with images that take me back to when certain cards were just scorching hot. That Donny's 84 RCs are worth as much as they are, whether 1000 or 750 for the 84D PSA 10, I think is great for them. Though these days I do slightly prefer the 84 Tiffany.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to have like 7 of them. Now just one. I wound up getting addicted to the much tougher Tiffany RC PSA 10, though the 84D will always be equally iconic to me, having grown up in the 80s. Both are great cards with images that take me back to when certain cards were just scorching hot. That Donny's 84 RCs are worth as much as they are, whether 1000 or 750 for the 84D PSA 10, I think is great for them. Though these days I do slightly prefer the 84 Tiffany. >>

I agree with you but it seems like the pack pulled 1984 D is more popular. I prefer the Tiffany card as well since it is a much better picture than either the Fleer or Donruss. The Donruss card looks like a mugshot.
    Mike
  • Options
    I think the 84D's relative popularity to the 84 Tiffany is as much a testament to the Tiffany being the far rarer and tougher card. Only 5000 sets were even produced. Only 18 PSA 10s versus over roughly TEN TIMES that for the 84D. I think the 84 Topps image is even more iconic than the 84D, since that card was the most popular, and so the Tiffany offers that same uber-popular image combined with rarity that utterly blows away the 84D. Of course I am an extreme fan of both cards all the way. But if I were looking to build a distinguished Mattingly collection, I'd consider the crown jewel the Tiffany followed closely by the Donruss.

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is an iconic rookie card from one of the most loved players of that decade. Now that more people (like myself) who started collecting in the 80s are revisiting the hobby with more expendable income (versus the weekly allowance I was using when this card came out) - look for prices on PSA 10s of the key rookie cards to continue to climb. >>

I agree with Big80s. Young collectors from that time period are now more capable of spending a little more money on such items.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    10,000 84 Tiffany sets. 5,000 was 85 and 86. 87 went up to 30,000.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When collector's overpay for a more modern 10 like that why don't they ever take into consideration the hundreds and hundreds of unopened on the market of that product. This isn't a modern card with limited production if the pop report is 106 you may as well double or triple it due to the abundance of 84 donruss wax still around. I loved card as a kid, it fuel for the hobby in the mid eighties and is kind if iconic but not on a four figure level. >>

Part of the problem is the misconception that 84 Donruss is rare or short printed. Tons of unopened was boxes, cases and unopened sets still around. Just a matter of time before they are busted and the pops go up. >>

This sums it up well.

I don't really know how or why that started, but in 1987 or so everyone started talking about how 1984 Donruss was really short printed and hard to find.

Reality is that it was everywhere and it still is. I will say it's one of the most attractive sets of the 1980's. However, I am very confident that the 1984 Fleer is much harder to find than the Donruss. That being said, the 84D Mattingly is an iconic card to so many of us. It represented the hobby in the late 1980's-early 1990's. It was the golden ticket to this 16 year old that couldn't afford a pack. It was this untouchable dream card I thought I'd never get.
    There are some cards that connect emotionally with collectors and this is definitely one of them
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday the 86D HL in white sold for ~ $330. I bid but to no avail.
  • Options
    Another reason for it to gradually comeback down is supply. There seems to be at least two PSA 10s running at the same time currently due to the increase in prices. Where as before, 1 per month MIGHT hit the bay.
  • Options
    What is the most that any of you would be willing to pay for a PSA 10 graded 1984 Topps Don Mattingly card? Again, I am relatively new to this aspect of the hobby and I am considering purchasing one.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    I think retail for a collector, if the card merits the grade, $850 and the card is changing hands swiftly. $750 is a fire sale price. $900 they will still move.

• Options
    I agree that $850 is the right price right now in order for one to sell in a decent amount of time.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Miley, the $850 is for donruss. Topps is like $110
  • Options
    I was wondering about that. $850 seemed really expensive to me. $110 makes more sense. Thanks Shu.
  • Options
    Pop sitting at 144. Recent auction sales (and there's been more than a few) have all ended in the $700-750 range. Looks like that sale was in fact a bubble and not a price correction.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Pop sitting at 144. Recent auction sales (and there's been more than a few) have all ended in the $700-750 range. Looks like that sale was in fact a bubble and not a price correction. >>

Are you talking about the sale to start the thread of $1,105?

• Options

<< <i>Supply matters less than demand. >>

To start the thread just over a year ago there were 106 copies in a PSA 10.

If demand stays constant prices fall with the uptick of 38 new copies entering the hobby in one year.

You need a lot of new buyers to hold price in a scenario like this.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Pop sitting at 144. Recent auction sales (and there's been more than a few) have all ended in the $700-750 range. Looks like that sale was in fact a bubble and not a price correction. >>

Are you talking about the sale to start the thread of $1,105? >>

Yes. Although any sale in that range would fit the bill as well.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Are you talking about the sale to start the thread of $1,105? >>

Yes. Although any sale in that range would fit the bill as well. >>

It did have quite a speculative run from the low $400's to over $1,100.

The surge in PSA 10's didn't help either with an increase of 33.9% in just 13 months.

If this trend of 10's continues I would think this card might end up round tripping this move.

The only card I have seen withstand a massive surge in supply is the 1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken. It more then doubled in a short period and the card pulled back some and has regained its losses. Very impressive.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OPINION: The Mattingly may be over priced at its current pop and this auction is probably a blip that will release 1/2 dozen from private collections so the price will probably stabilize around 500-700. But who knows because...
    >>

Nice call MMD... especially after another 6 mos to a year.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    my neighborhood was all about the regular ol 84 topps. not the nestle, opc, tiffany, donruss, fleer, etc.

simply 84 topps. I even think it mighta been the "big" christmas stocking stuffer gift way deep down in the toe...'85 perhaps, maybe.

the 84 d will just always be second fiddle, I guess.