Home Metal Detecting
Options

Gold detecting - part III

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Continuing the story from my previous gold detecting posts:
Part 1
Part 2

I returned to the spot where I found a nugget last time, detecting both the bottom and sides of the gully.
This didn’t prove very productive, but I did get another signal right at the very bottom:

The signal turned out to be in a compact piece of dirt. That’s usually a good sign.
Broke it in half. One half is beeping. Broke that in half.. and see a welcome sight!

It turned out to be a small piece, 0.2 grams, but I’ll happily take all shapes and sizes.

This is a nugget I had to find twice: There were plenty of flies around and I was going nuts having them in my face all the time, so I was wearing one of those caps with a mosquito net hanging off it.
When I found this nugget I put it in my mouth to clean it, but forgot the net is in the way…. So I fumbled it and had to locate it again, in rather tall grass too. image

I also managed to get an Australian dug coin collection started:

1953 1 penny.
There's a scarce variety of this exact date, but my coin isn't it.

There are plenty of interesting looking rocks around. I’ve accumulated a small collection of them by now.
I’ll probably need to ship a package of rocks to myself when I eventually leave this place¨

My next trip was to a location I’d noticed before, but hadn’t detected at yet.
It’s in a pretty good area in the middle of old diggings and with quartz reefs nearby. Here’s my base camp for the day:

I need to do some panning here someday as well, to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else.
Right off the bat I saw some promising looking heavy material.. That wasn’t to be today though, for two reasons:
1. There wasn’t enough water anywhere nearby
2. I was here today for a very specific reason

This is the reason I had come here:
On an earlier trip I had come across an area with lots of rusted junk (the picture below is just one example, there was a lot more..).

There were signals all over the place, presumably 99%+ of them being pieces of iron. There had to be some gold here, with others having been discouraged by the overwhelming amount of rubbish.
The day I found this location was too hot for taking on the task, as this would mean a day of practically continuous digging.
This Saturday was the perfect opportunity, a cool overcast day.

I starting digging everything that beeped, and after some 2 hours I was rewarded with this:
This piece has some ironstone in it too. Nice!

It ended up being a good day (at least by my modest standards) as I found three additional pieces as well:

The day's take: 4 pieces, a bit over a gram in total

Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! The 'Roo penny looks good for a dug one!

This looks like the mandible of some prehistoric and/or alien monster:

Neat crystals.

And... gold. Wow.

Boy, tough hunting, though, huh?

Thanks for bringin' us along. I'm glad you posted this, because I had missed parts one and two.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice nuggets.... hard work, but rewarding. I am sure there are some sizeable nuggets in your future... Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course you'd need a forklift to get one like that outta the bush. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That is funny LordM..... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep your eyes out for one this size (no detector needed!)

bobimage

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Impressive AUandAG..... and as a nugget, it often brings a higher price than melt value....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pics on the gold nuggets image
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    AUandAG: WOW! Very impressive!!
    The only way I can respond to that is by making the pictures of my nuggets bigger image
    This is the total so far:

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    here's another: imageimage
  • Options
    Oh they are not all one ounce plus, in the west. We have little ones, too!

bobimage