Home Metal Detecting

Hunted a couple of playground tear-outs today

At one of my local parks, they recently ripped out the equipment from the two playground areas. I noticed this a couple of days ago so I just went over there and hunted for about 45 minutes. The first spot only produced 3 Lincoln Memorials and one or two trash targets. The second had steeper ruts and piles of dirt and rock, and I did not stay there as long. Found just one trash target in the second location.

Anyone ever have luck with playground tear-outs?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern playground areas can be good for modern coins, the occasional piece of jewelry, keys, and toy cars. Not to mention trash.

They don't particularly impress me as appealing places to hunt, however, unless they happen to be in older parks where silver is a possibility.

They're OK to plink around on and kill some time if there's nothing better to do, but I generally prefer more rewarding sites where I can pursue older quarry.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...agree with LordM.... older parks have the silver. Good luck..Cheers, RickO
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Playgrounds are easy pickin's. Remove the obstacles.....even easier.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i never had any luck with tear outs but its still good hunting for me at times. i found a few gold rings and the sorts
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two friends and I worked a closed country school house together several wheats and three mercury dimes oldest an XFish 1937.