Home Precious Metals

New book on American Gold and Platinum Eagles

Whitman Publishing Releases New American Gold and Platinum Eagles Book by Edmund Moy

(Atlanta, Georgia)—Whitman Publishing announces the release of American Gold and
Platinum Eagles: A Guide to the U.S. Bullion Coin Programs
, by Edmund C. Moy,
retired director of the United States Mint. The 224-page hardcover book will be
available November 26, 2013. Members of the American Numismatic
Association can borrow it for free from the Dwight N. Manley Numismatic Library
(visit www.money.org for more information about the ANA library).

Since 1986 the hugely popular .9167 fine American Gold Eagle bullion coins have been
collected by numismatists, stockpiled by investors large and small, and treasured by
gold buyers throughout the United States and around the world. American Platinum
Eagles were added to the Mint’s bullion offerings in 1997, and today are a best-selling
way to add .9995 fine platinum to investment portfolios, in addition to being collectible
themselves.

Now, no less an expert than Edmund Moy—director of the U.S. Mint from 2006 to
2011—shares his unique insight and perspective on these beautiful pieces of Americana.

To create this book, Moy has drawn on his experience directing the Mint during a turbulent
period of unprecedented growth, when silver, gold, and platinum bullion sales skyrocketed
during the Crash of 2008 and the Great Recession. He takes the reader behind the scenes
at the U.S. Treasury Department and into the back rooms and offices of the U.S. Mint. He
lays out the history of America’s gold and platinum bullion programs; explores the foundations
and nuances of investing in precious metals; and shares his insight on fascinating topics like
the Langbord family’s 1933 double eagles, the recently proposed $1 trillion platinum coin, and
the Mint’s 2009 Ultra High Relief gold masterpieces.

Edmund Moy brings together diverse elements—artistic as well as technical, some steeped in
history and others inspired by the latest news headlines, appealing to investors as well as
collectors—to make American Gold and Platinum Eagles a valuable addition to every
American’s bookshelf.

“Just counting the one-ounce American Gold Eagles, collectors and investors have purchased
more than 15 million coins since 1986,” said Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker. “Add to that
millions of the smaller fractional-ounce gold coins, and the Mint’s Proofs and other collector
formats, plus the platinum series with its historical designs. American Gold and Platinum
Eagles
is the world’s first book-length study of these popular coins.”

Contents include:

• A foreword by Representative Michael Castle, who coauthored the legislation
that created the State quarters program, as well as the Mint’s platinum bullion coinage.

• Chapter 1: The Gold Rush of 2008. Meetings with Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson.
The surge in bullion demand. Uncharted territory. The Mint’s leap into high production.

• Chapter 2: Bullion Coin Investing: The Basics. The different values of gold. 21st-century specie.
Making the investment decision. Ways to hold precious metal. Allocated vs. unallocated holdings.
Types of bullion coins. What is coin grading, and why should I care? The emerging market of .9999
pure-gold bullion coins. Forces driving the price of gold. Will gold go up or down? How to buy U.S. Mint
bullion coins. The Mint’s Authorized Purchasers program. Selecting a retailer. Pricing factors. Storing
precious-metal bullion purchases. What is a Gold IRA? Selling precious-metal bullion coins.

• Chapter 3: History of the U.S. Gold Bullion Coin Program. The heyday of circulating U.S. gold coins.
Spending money in the 1800s. Gold in history and culture. The fabulous Saint-Gaudens gold coins.
The end of gold in circulating U.S. coinage. President Roosevelt’s Executive Order 6102. Fort Knox
and the gold assets of the United States. The 1933 double eagles. The Gold Reserve Act of 1934.
World War II and beyond. The birth of the bullion market. The Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985. Achieving
exemplary gold bullion coins. The American Buffalo and First Spouse bullion coin series. The bull run
of 2008. The 2009 Ultra High Relief. Supply and demand challenges.

• Chapter 4: History of the U.S. Platinum Bullion Coin Program. The birth of the platinum series.
The $1 trillion platinum coin proposal. Commemorative designs for the Proof American Platinum
Eagles. The design process for American coins. A commentary by Chief Justice of the United States
John G. Roberts Jr.

• Chapter 5: A Year-by-Year Study of American Gold and Platinum Eagles. Individual coins, varieties,
and sets. High-resolution photographs, rarity information, values, certified-coin populations, surface
and strike characteristics, market details, packaging information, issue prices, and more.

Featuring: Illustrated overviews of other coins in our nation’s bullion programs, including
American Buffalo and First Spouse gold coins and American Silver Eagles.
Plus: Compiled charts for easy coin-by-coin comparisons; a glossary of numismatic terms;
a bibliography for further research; and an index for looking up information.
And: A richly illustrated gallery and catalog of all the coins issued during Edmund Moy’s
directorship of the U.S. Mint.

American Gold and Platinum Eagles: A Guide to the U.S. Bullion Coin Programs
By Edmund C. Moy, director of the U.S. Mint (ret.)
Foreword by Representative Michael Castle
224 pages, hardcover, 8.5 x 11 inches
Fully illustrated in color
ISBN 0794839738

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does it offer any insight on the 1999 W $5 and $10 AGEs struck with unfinished proof dies?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

<< <i>does it offer any insight on the 1999 W $5 and $10 AGEs struck with unfinished proof dies? >>

Yes, it does; see pages 114 - 117.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>does it offer any insight on the 1999 W $5 and $10 AGEs struck with unfinished proof dies? >>

Yes, it does; see pages 114 - 117. >>

what does it say?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should say that one particular dealer owns at least a couple rolls and has been trying to sell them as a lot.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an interesting publication.... I do believe I will get one.... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that looks like it might be good for reading material. best wishes
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, it does; see pages 114 - 117. >>

what does it say? >>

It describes the coins, their discovery, the Mint's reaction, commentary, etc.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like interesting
    reading material !!! image
    Timbuk3